Safari 3 for Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
ive got big problems... installer wont run, safari has been deleted/removed from the hard drive, and worse of all, software update wont launch im think trying to use safari 3 has just been the worse thing ive done to my computer

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    how the hell did my post get to the top of the page?
  • Reply 2 of 27
    I've installed it but it's still a brushed metal app for me, whilst in the demo it had the new sleek grey look. Is that because the UI is OS defined or what?
  • Reply 3 of 27
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Bear in mind this post could show up anywhere in the thread, so it won't be clear who I'm responding to (database has gone mad).....

The new interface and a bunch of new features are Windows only, for now, which is a great indignity. Must be a first for Apple, have no idea why they would do this.

For me, Safari 3 is faster than FF. Not a Camino user, so can't say.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Bear in mind this post could show up anywhere in the thread, so it won't be clear who I'm responding to (database has gone mad).....

The new interface and a bunch of new features are Windows only, for now, which is a great indignity. Must be a first for Apple, have no idea why they would do this.

For me, Safari 3 is faster than FF. Not a Camino user, so can't say.

EDIT: Oh, cool, not just randomly placed but doubled. Wheeeeeee!
  • Reply 5 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It made the front page of the NY Times. Good extra hype for Apple.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/12/te...in&oref=slogin
  • Reply 6 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It made the front page of the NY Times. Good extra hype for Apple.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/12/te...in&oref=slogin
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Not getting any joy on the "Safari for Windows" thread, so:

Working perfectly for me, and blazingly fast.

I'm amazed that more people aren't getting psyched about this. But..... apparently some of the new features are Windows only, for now???!!!!

Oh, the humanity.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I'm gonna give it a try tonight when I get home.

Addabox. What's your current browser of choice? I'm a Camino fan. How does S3 compare to FF and Camino?
  • Reply 9 of 27
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Addabox. What's your current browser of choice? I'm a Camino fan. How does S3 compare to FF and Camino?

I am trying it right now.

Very nice.

Feels like a completed app and not beta. very good. and fast.

Also, to the poster who said some features are windows only, I have not noticed that. Only that there will need to be some extra plugins added to make everything work smoothly on windows.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Hello all,

This is my first post... but I've been a big fan for years (2 actually). I have the same question as above. Why do I still have the brushed metal interface? Did just the Windoze Bozos get the sleeker iTunes interface and we have to wait for Leopard?
  • Reply 11 of 27
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Not getting any joy on the "Safari for Windows" thread, so:

Working perfectly for me, and blazingly fast.

I'm amazed that more people aren't getting psyched about this. But..... apparently some of the new features are Windows only, for now???!!!!

Oh, the humanity.

I have it running on my Windows system and am typing this in in Safari 3.0 as a matter of fact.

Nice interface and all, but...it is definitely a beta program. I have had lock-ups from time-to-time and have had to use Task Manager to force quit the program twice.

When it works, it does OK. It is not as fast on some websites as Firefox 2. And its RSS capabilities are a bit, well, weird. Try loading an RSS page and then scrolling in it using the arrow keys or Page Up and Down keys...doesn't work on my PC. And it instantly marks everything as read whether you read it or not.

Oh well, so it goes in beta-land.

Still, it's nice and simple and I hope it just gets better from here.

Now, if it could just remember to keep me signed in on AppleInsider...
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Originally, I crashed every time I tried to open the Beta. Then I removed Speed Download and it launched fine. It looks like Speed Download may already have an update out to fix this.

That being said, it doesn't seem much different than Safari 2. None of the cool new interface that is apparent on the windows version is in the Mac version.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Aaagh! I can see Ads again. Oh the horror. Safari 3 has disabled Pith Helmet. I'll give it a day or two to see if there's an update to Pith helmet. If not, then I'm going back to Safari 2.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Proxy View Post

Aaagh! I can see Ads again. Oh the horror. Safari 3 has disabled Pith Helmet. I'll give it a day or two to see if there's an update to Pith helmet. If not, then I'm going back to Safari 2.

Amen to that, brutha.....

You forget how gnarly ads are under the sweet umbrella of PithHelmet.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    No problems here on 3 macs so far (all intel so far) and you have to admit, rearranging the tabs was overdue. Very nice feature.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Working very well on my iBook G4. Seems to be a very nice browser. Can't force it to open all links in new tabs, still need to command-click a link to do so. I too am seeing the aluminum finish.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    What about this new search bar that's supposed to be under the bookmarks bar? Is that a Windows only feature as well? If so, WTF?
  • Reply 18 of 27
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    In response to the guy who got his system hosed by Safari Beta: Same thing happened to me on my home machine, a G5 iMac. No installer would work after it, Safari, Mail, Installer would not launch. I had to do an Archive and Install from my Tiger install disks and spend about an hour updating my computer. Then I installed it again and it was fine. I knew what i was getting into; it is beta.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

well in my opinion it is a bit faster than fire fox but it freezes on me briefly at times. and its better than the browser im using right now thats for sure. ( psp browser )
  • Reply 20 of 27
    almalm Posts: 111member
    Google maps now zoom in on any mouse wheel rotation. No zoom out.