Heads up to gamers...do not go with the new mbp just yet...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just a post for those who play WoW and other games. Just saw this on the WoW mac tech support forum. Seems like there are some driver issues with the new mbpros that need to get sorted out cause the 8600 should be performing better than it is. The iMacs are running games better!

Sure it'll be fixed soon but you should wait if you were going to get the mbp thinking it would be an upgrade gaming wise from your old iMac.

http://www.barefeats.com/santarosa.html

Cut and paste:

INSIGHTS

The new MacBook Pro with the GeForce 8600M runs 3D accelerated games significantly faster than the previous 2.33GHz model with the Mobility Radeon X1600. For example, Quake 4 ran 60% faster, Prey 55% faster, and Doom 3 ran 38% faster. The "Rosa" even beat the 4-Core Mac Pro desktop with a GeForce 7300 GT in 4 out of 5 of our tests.

However, the new MacBook Pro remains slower than the 24" iMac C2D with the GeForce 7600 GT and the 4-core Mac Pro with the Radeon X1900 XT. In other words, if you are an avid 3D gamer, you will be pleased with the new Macbook Pro "Rosa." But if you are "hard core" wanting the Mac with the most FPS, the Mac Pro with the Radeon X1900 XT is still "Top Gun."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    MACWORLD is also bringing it up, albeit with some differing results:

http://www.macworld.com/2007/06/firs...ench/index.php

I can vouch that WoW players are running into the slower framerates.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

.......Sure it'll be fixed soon but you should wait if you were going to get the mbp thinking it would be an upgrade gaming wise from your old iMac. .....

Why not buy now? If you buy now you get to enjoy a new system right away and then when the drivers come out you merely load them in and go play. Not buying now doesn't seem to make any sense as you still have to wait for the drivers.

Just a thought......

Sopranino
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I'm not terribly worried. There was a point update back in the 10.2 days that significantly increased my old computer's gaming abilities. I'm sure some new drivers will help out in a bit.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I would be surprised if it wasn't resolved but I'd rather wait rather than make an expensive purchase I won't be able to use for something I want to use it for.

It's just a bad idea for some gamers to buy right now since certain popular games will be unplayable until the drivers get updated. A woman in the WoW forum posted 6-7 framerates per second. On WoW you might as well close the game cause you can't play it like that.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

Just a post for those who play WoW and other games. Just saw this on the WoW mac tech support forum. Seems like there are some driver issues with the new mbpros that need to get sorted out cause the 8600 should be performing better than it is. The iMacs are running games better!

Sure it'll be fixed soon but you should wait if you were going to get the mbp thinking it would be an upgrade gaming wise from your old iMac.

http://www.barefeats.com/santarosa.html

Cut and paste:

INSIGHTS

The new MacBook Pro with the GeForce 8600M runs 3D accelerated games significantly faster than the previous 2.33GHz model with the Mobility Radeon X1600. For example, Quake 4 ran 60% faster, Prey 55% faster, and Doom 3 ran 38% faster. The "Rosa" even beat the 4-Core Mac Pro desktop with a GeForce 7300 GT in 4 out of 5 of our tests.

However, the new MacBook Pro remains slower than the 24" iMac C2D with the GeForce 7600 GT and the 4-core Mac Pro with the Radeon X1900 XT. In other words, if you are an avid 3D gamer, you will be pleased with the new Macbook Pro "Rosa." But if you are "hard core" wanting the Mac with the most FPS, the Mac Pro with the Radeon X1900 XT is still "Top Gun."

I'm close to buying a new MacBook Pro and also saw this speed test from Barefeats.

What I want to know is, how sure are people that it's the drivers and not the new video card? I mean, what if the new nVidia card isn't as good as the ATI card is when it comes to FPS?

Also, do the new nVidia cards work better for Vista?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    surely if you're an 'avid gamer' you'd have a PC dedicated to the sole use of gaming and your trusty mac (notebook/desktop) for everything else in your life? Its not unheard of, especially since macs aren't out and out gaming machines now are they?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shiato storm View Post

surely if you're an 'avid gamer' you'd have a PC dedicated to the sole use of gaming and your trusty mac (notebook/desktop) for everything else in your life? Its not unheard of, especially since macs aren't out and out gaming machines now are they?

That's obviously an incorrect assumption. Not going to bother trying to explain this one.

Running a game on a machine for comparison testing with similar machines is a good way to test if it has issues. When an older model mac beats the "latest and greatest", there are issues.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I imagine the second you get your new MBP you will be burning your other computer that played WoW just fine...right?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

I imagine the second you get your new MBP you will be burning your other computer that played WoW just fine...right?

Who buys without selling the old one to help finance the new purchase? You guys are rich.