java?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
There was no mention of Java either during Jobs' address or on the Apple site. There's no word as to whether Java 6 will be part of Leopard at all.

Is it possible that other announcements will be made during the course of the week, or is the first day pretty much it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Developers will receive all sorts of NDA'd goodness, but that's it for *public* announcements this week.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Developers will receive all sorts of NDA'd goodness, but that's it for *public* announcements this week.

Can anybody under NDA confirm, without revealing the substance of the news, if there simply *was* any news on the Java front without violating their NDA ? (simple yes or no question). I want to know if Apple has completely abandoned Java, or if they're simply postponing any announcements. Why they would postpone any Java news is a mystery.

There are many Java developers who enjoy using OS X. If Apple has more or less abandoned Java development without either open sourcing it or passing the ball to Sun, then I wonder why they even bother maintaining their JDK at all.

The paranoid part of me wonders if Apple somehow sees Java as competition, and are trying to hold it back.

Nonetheless, I'm sure there's a demand for the latest Java on Mac. This will most likely result in either an openJDK or Harmony port to OS X.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    The java implementations have not been developed as part of the OS before and are usually updated separately. If you sign up for a free ADC account you can download a development release of Java 6... although it's rather old (from last September based off of JDK 1.6.0_b88).
  • Reply 4 of 5
    thininethinine Posts: 71member
    Java in Leopard will be v.6. With the older VMs available too.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

The paranoid part of me wonders if Apple somehow sees Java as competition, and are trying to hold it back.

As someone who programs extensively in Java/Eclipse and not nearly enough in Obj-C... uh... no.