ZFS: I thought Steve was going to announce it?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What happened to the dude at Sun that said we would hear about ZFS being used as an option as a file system by Apple?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

What happened to the dude at Sun that said we would hear about ZFS being used as an option as a file system by Apple?

Steve's wrath?

I was really hoping for some ZFS news as well. I've been scouring the site looking for info, but the only thing I've discovered is that the whole site isn't updated and consistent yet.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Holy crap. I can't even read any forum posts more than a few deep with this time stamp problem... my eyes and head aches.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I think the guy at Sun jumped the gun. We'll probably not see it until 10.6 comes out.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kesh View Post

I think the guy at Sun jumped the gun. We'll probably not see it until 10.6 comes out.

He jumped a planet in orbit on that one if that is the case.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    ZFS will be there but Apple's likely not going to hype it especially after the leak from Sun.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Holy crap. I can't even read any forum posts more than a few deep with this time stamp problem... my eyes and head aches.

I think it's kind of fun. Like being in a time machine, let's see if we can create a paradox. How can someone reply to a post that hasn't been made yet?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub

Who says you won't. It's only the Keynote that's over. Somethin' fishy's going on at this year's WWDC.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Another question. Did res independence make it into leopard?
  • Reply 8 of 25
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Resolution independence was advertised as last years WWDC I believe.

And yes, ZFS got Steved like the ATI cards of yore. Only thing that couldn't get Steved are the Intel processors... "How dare they... we're going 100% PowerPC again!"
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xool View Post

Resolution independence was advertised as last years WWDC I believe.

And yes, ZFS got Steved like the ATI cards of yore. Only thing that couldn't get Steved are the Intel processors... "How dare they... we're going 100% PowerPC again!"

I doubt even Steve is that ballsy...
  • Reply 10 of 25
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    Without sounding like a Whacko. I think there is a 'lot' more to come. ZFS will be probably be a little more prominent, Res Independence as stated, iLife (maybe even iWork), more CoreAnimation eye candy to wind people up and probably an explanation as to how Multi-Touch is already included (but it's just a peripheral feature) as an Input method. CoreAnimation and Res-Ind are what 'developers' need for your MultiTouch solutions. That said I don't think we will be seeing too much MT this year
  • Reply 11 of 25
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dazabrit View Post

Without sounding like a Whacko. I think there is a 'lot' more to come.

Hmm, I don't know but I cannot remember having seen before the other OS X releases the following:

Quote:

All features referenced in the Mac OS X Leopard website are subject to change.

(from Leopard demo pages). Anyone remembers better?

So, yes, maybe there are other important things to show.

EDIT: the web archive seems to confirm that the OS X features warning is something new.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

I'm gonna be laughing my ass off afterwards when it happens.

Hey did I miss the laughing?!?

Dave
  • Reply 13 of 25
    According to this article, someone from Apple is saying ZFS ain't going to happen:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=199903281

I still think it could go either way because why would anyone even mention it? It's more likely that an outsider would release secret info and an insider try to play down the leak.

Am I the only one who thinks Apple need to give up the charade of always keeping secrets from people? I wouldn't mind if they actually delivered but it's like waiting for Christmas and getting socks again. It's really starting to suck.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Folks, I am disappointed that ZFS is not there. In fact, I still hope it is in the provided beta but we have to wait until we have a report on this. I heard that ZFS support was removed from the last seeded Leopard (the one before the WWDC) but at that time I hoped Apple just wants to hide it. Now I am afraid that it is axed. No, no because of the Sun executives leak - Steve had no time to ask to remove it from the DVDs (if it is there). The only thing he could do is to keep silence (not to mention it). But those statements from Apple staff that it is not going to be in Leopard make me believe that we shall say goodbye ZFS for now. So get used to it

On the positive note, yesterday downloaded Safari 3 beta. Boys, it is FAST! Let's hope Leopard will be fast as well!
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow View Post

Folks, I am disappointed that ZFS is not there. In fact, I still hope it is in the provided beta but we have to wait until we have a report on this. I heard that ZFS support was removed from the last seeded Leopard (the one before the WWDC) but at that time I hoped Apple just wants to hide it. Now I am afraid that it is axed.

Well, it is not the only one. Unless I missed it, I heard no word about resolution independence either.

Also, what happened to Q2D Extreme? Tiger was supposed to have it at some point but apparently Apple could never resolve the problems it caused. Then Leopard. Could Core Animation take care of that? Is there something else?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Well, it is not the only one. Unless I missed it, I heard no word about resolution independence either.

Also, what happened to Q2D Extreme? Tiger was supposed to have it at some point but apparently Apple could never resolve the problems it caused. Then Leopard. Could Core Animation take care of that? Is there something else?

Uh.. confirmed last year and reported on by AI:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=67774
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

According to this article, someone from Apple is saying ZFS ain't going to happen:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=199903281

I still think it could go either way because why would anyone even mention it? It's more likely that an outsider would release secret info and an insider try to play down the leak.

Am I the only one who thinks Apple need to give up the charade of always keeping secrets from people? I wouldn't mind if they actually delivered but it's like waiting for Christmas and getting socks again. It's really starting to suck.

ARGHH!!

Now, according to this article,

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=199903525

Leopard WILL use it, but not boot, just read only.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

ARGHH!!

Now, according to this article,

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=199903525

Leopard WILL use it, but not boot, just read only.

Oh great, so it'll be another NTFS fiasco. Why is it in the Disk Utility software though under erase if it can't be written to? So people can format a drive as ZFS and do nothing with it? This makes no sense at all.

Also, how can they make such final decisions on a product that is 4 months away from release? What if Sun do get it booting reliably enough for it to be usable within a month or so? I wish they'd get all these damn marketing/spokes people airheads out the way and give us some facts. This is why Steve should have discussed it in the Keynote because at least then we'd know exactly what was going on.
  • Reply 19 of 25

Hmm, I do remember discussions like that, but that tells me nothing. Apple has created a precedent here. In the WWDC before Tiger's release they had discussed in a special session the new Q2D Extreme graphics technology. Even benchmarks were shown. We all know what happened with Q2DE.

So, the fact that there is no official word from Apple in the new Leopard pages about resolution independence, is at least worrisome.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    I was following reports on resolution independence in Leopard. Here is what I remember (no links, sorry):
    • At WWDC2006 Apple said "get ready by 2008". This was an old report, before Leopard delayed to October. Should this mean that it is delayed further or will be ready in October remains to be seen.

• There were reports that resolution independence is mostly usable in Leopard developer builds with the most notable bugs found in Finder.

Now we know the Finder in the previous seeded builds was a placeholder. However, removal from the Leopard page is worrisome indeed.

Apple will talk about resolution independence during the sessions:

http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/sessions/

You will find 161: Making Your Custom Controls, Icons, and Artwork Resolution Independent and 1080: Resolution Independence Lab.

Hope we will have some hints from after the WWDC from developers!