I do not like the new translucent menu bar

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    You don't like the new bar? Go spend an hour at a shrink if it bothers you so much. Does it function more effectively than the current one? Time will tell.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    This is like Apple putting the apple logo in the center of the menu bar for the public beta. Everyone scratched their heads and said why?

This seems like a change for the sake of changing.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Just watched the keynote, the bar adapts to the background image, or thats what i think he says. Im not sure what exactly is adapting but it is doing something.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

RI is there, they only had 90 minutes for the keynote and you can't cover every feature. I'm sure Apple's Q/A testers have tested the features with the dock pinned to other locations.

Don't expect to see RI in 10.5.0. Apple already said last year that developers had until late 2008 to make their apps 'RI ready'.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I suspect that the UI allows you to turn off the transparency of the menu bar. Even now there is a app that will change the opacity of the menu bar.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    I'm sure there will be an option to have an opaque menu bar -- Steve said it adjusted to the background image, so it obviously can change.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Guys, guys, guys..

Calm down, the menubar translucency can be turned off in Preferences, but I love it myself.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Just watched the keynote, the bar adapts to the background image, or thats what i think he says. Im not sure what exactly is adapting but it is doing something.

It adapts, as in no matter what color desktop picture you have on there, the bar is never the same color as it, hence it is always visible.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Has anyone here acctualy used Vista day-in-day-out? I did for 3 months at work, and it isnt that bad, slow and bulky, which is why I went back to XP, but I found the transparency to be easier on the eyes, I cant explain why, but I didn't need to look away from my screen nearly as often to avoid a headache.

I will not pass judgment on Leopard until I have some serious seat time with it, but it doesn't look bad at all -- My Macbook purchase has been pushed back to October.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    ssssss Posts: 30member
    Anyone have pictures of this translusent bar?
  • Reply 31 of 35
    zoczoc Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSS View Post

Anyone have pictures of this translusent bar?

Just have a look at the leopard site on www.apple.com
  • Reply 32 of 35
    ssssss Posts: 30member
    Ok thanks. Found it on wikipedia about 30 seconds later, doh :/
  • Reply 33 of 35
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

From the Apple demo video: "Drag any item on the desktop close to the Dock and it actually reflects on the new floor."

I defy anyone to read that and not despair.

This just seems like a useless resource draw on the GPU.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Guys, guys, guys..

Calm down, the menubar translucency can be turned off in Preferences, but I love it myself.

If, as the linked file suggests, Leopard is faster, the Finder is Cocoa based, multithreaded, and more responsive, then this alone will make it a worthy update. The Finder and its sidekick, the spinning beachball of death, are the bane of my otherwise blissful OS X experience. Hope Leopard changes this.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    Idiots, if you don't like it, turn it off. Turning off transparency isn't the hardest, and maybe even an actually system preferences option

It's a consumer OS, thus as always it has to follow consumer level rules. This is why the 1st iMac pwned the beige. It must have function and style.

"There's nothing wrong with beige and dos! it's efficient!".

Same with the 3d dock and whatever other eye candy changes. I welcome it, If I don't like it, then it would be turned off.

My sister sets her background to change every 2 seconds. Sucks massive amounts of CPU/disk power, and hurts the eyes to me. But she likes it and that's all that matters.

The core ideals are improved in 10.5 That's all you can really ask for. A better dock, a better finder, etc etc etc.