unannounced feature? screen sharing?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
in the demo video for the new finder, you can see when the shared computers are selected, there is a "share screen" option available. is this a feature from remote assistance that they have built into leopard?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/...es/finder.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    If they enabled screen share with windows computer there wouldent be a need too as a pc could share a screen a mac.

Am I correct to say that with screen share both users would have controll over the same desktop. Also, can you screen share from lets say a macbook with a mac pro to get the mac pros preformance and system files. As this was not explained in the keynote or online, im a still fuzzy on this and would like if someone could help me out.
    ozair.micro
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Am I correct to say that with screen share both users would have controll over the same desktop. Also, can you screen share from lets say a macbook with a mac pro to get the mac pros preformance and system files.

From what I can see it's the same deal as VNC or Apple Remote Desktop, which allows you to do what you want. Let's hope they've optimized it enough so that it doesn't lag like the VNC and ARD do.

BTW, this wasn't an unannounced feature, it was documented ages ago. I'm sure it was on the ichat leopard Sneak Peek page.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    pete_01pete_01 Posts: 4member
    documented as part of ichat, maybe. not right in the finder, this is the first i've seen of this here... no?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pete_01 View Post

documented as part of ichat, maybe. not right in the finder, this is the first i've seen of this here... no?

I would guess it just launches ichat but if it does do it right inside the Finder then it would be new.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Something that came to mind watching this... could the Finder possibly run as an 'iTunes'-like interface on a Windows machine through .mac? This could be how OSX could completely infiltrate Windows by becoming a Windows app. Hey, if Google can become a desktop app, why not the iPhone OS as a desktop download on Windows? (hopefully I'm not rambling too much)
This discussion has been closed.