Apple unveils near final version of Mac OS X Leopard

Comments

• Reply 81 of 150
    not as impressed with leopard as i wanted to be, but i think there might be a vision of the future of the mac OS within leopard and it starts with quick look.

quick look seems to be able to effectively do away with applications like quicktime. you can view a movie fullscreen from the finder without opening any new application. it seems like this could be extended to other applications like itunes and others so that the finder becomes iLife. i don't know, just some thoughts.
  • Reply 82 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Doesn't seem to be the case. The Leopard preview for developers runs on G4, G5, and any Intel, apparently:

Mac OS X Leopard Developer Preview System Requirements

I have found out that on the Mac OS X Leopard Developer Preview DVD, handed-out to developers at WWDC, there is a file called Read Before You Install. In this file it says:

You must have a Macintosh computer with:

* an Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 or G5 processor

* a DVD drive

* built-in FireWire

* at least 256 MB of RAM for a Power-PC based Mac and 512 MB for an Intel-based Mac (additional RAM is recommended for development purposes)

* a built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer

* at least 6 GB of disk space available, or 8 GB if you install the developer tools

http://theplaceforitall.com/105requirements.html

I stand by what I said. This could be because it's a still a beta and the OS isn't full 64-bit and so they could get the most beta testers but there's no way to run a full 64-bit OS on a 32-bit CPU. Either that or the OS isn't 64-bit like Jobs said it was, which wouldn't suprise me at all.

Since making my comment I've done more research about which Mac will be affected and it's pretty depressing!!

Quote:

to quote myself

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention this yet but the big problem with leopard is that it's 64-bit only!! Which means all macs with G4 processors and even the intel core duo processors will need a new mac in order to run leopard. The core duo was 32 bit only and it wasn't until the core 2 duo that the macs had 64-bit capability. These seems extremely ironic considering the I'm a mac commercial where PC had to go into "major surgery" in order to run vista but a lot of mac users will need a new mac in order to run leopard. I figured this out on my own just from my memory but to make sure my hunch was correct I've done a little research to backup this claim

this from wikipedia:

The first Intel mobile processor supporting Intel 64 is the Merom version of the Core 2 processor, which was released on 27 July 2006. None of Intel's earlier notebook CPUs (Core Duo, Pentium M, Celeron M, Mobile Pentium 4) support Intel 64.

The following processors implement the Intel 64 architecture:

Intel NetBurst

Intel Xeon (some models since "Nocona")

Intel Celeron D (some models since "Prescott")

Intel Pentium 4 (some models since "Prescott")

Intel Pentium D

Intel Pentium Extreme Edition

Intel Core microarchitecture

Intel Xeon (all models since "Woodcrest")

Intel Core 2

It specifically mentions the core duo processor that was originally available in the iMac and MacBook pro starting on Jan 10th 2006 is NOT capable of 64-bit processing. It wasn't until 09/06/2006, 10/24/2006 and 11/08/2006 for the iMac, MacBook Pro and Macbook respectively that Apple released Core 2 duo processors that would be capable of 64-bit processing and hence the ability to run Leopard!! This is RIDICULOUS people that bought a laptop in October now have an outdated processor and need a new computer!!

The processors that will work with Leopard are all the G5s Macs, all of the Mac Pros since they were released with the 64 bit capable Woodcrest processor and all intel iMacs, Macbook Pros and Macbooks released after the dates mentioned above.

here's the links in wikipedia

Apple Intel Transition including timeline

Details about which Intel processors are 64-bit capable

Details about the Core Duo processor
  • Reply 83 of 150
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielsmi View Post

I stand by what I said. This could be because it's a still a beta and the OS isn't full 64-bit and so they could get the most beta testers but there's no way to run a full 64-bit OS on a 32-bit CPU. Either that or the OS isn't 64-bit like Jobs said it was, which wouldn't suprise me at all.

Since making my comment I've done more research about which Mac will be affected and it's pretty depressing!!

Yeah, you're just plain wrong. They're not locking out 32-bit machines. The minimum requirement will be a G4.
  • Reply 84 of 150
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by curtegg View Post

No ZFS mention. That alone would make me upgrade to leopard. Guess, I'll hold off till next year on the OS and hardware (stick with my 6yr old g4).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

That should teach you not to listing to the mad ravings of a Sun executive. Or the random web sites trying to make a mountain out of a small quote.

The interesting thing to me is that the sites that reported the ZFS "leak" (e.g., Apple Insider and MacWorld) didn't mention that ZFS wasn't mentioned by Steve in their main coverage.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

How are they [Linux Distros] making leaps and bounds over Windows and Mac? From what I saw they used all the 3D ideas from Vista and Tiger, and they're still stealing GUI icons from both OS's. Doesn't seem very original to me.

Give up Linux lovers -- your passion is for a geek thing mostly unlikely to take over the OS world for long to come. Think the difference between Firefox and Thunderbird. Firefox makes computers easier to use while being technically superior. Thunderbird has close to zero appeal to most Firefox users even though it's arguably more powerful than Outlook ever was.

So even if Desktop Linux is more powerful, more secure, cheaper in TCO, and even if there weren't leventy-seven competing GUI's for the damn thing, it still wouldn't seal the deal with people already knowing Win and OS X and their being "good enough."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

[1] I think that Apple's primary motive for Leopard is to tempt switchers.

[2] I don't really see anything that moves the Mac forward?

1. probably half right. And I'm down with that. The more of us there are, the more resources can be thrown into R&D.

2. well, I see plenty that will move my maccing forward. Some of it's things you can do yourself. I created a downloads folder ages ago, but I like the little picture of the latest download on top. But other bits like QuckView (or whatever it's called) and the parallel previewing system in Finder will be highly useful to me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by psilo View Post

YOU ALL SUCK!

everyone expects everything ever rumored immediately made available by the end of every keynote. everyone's disappointed or let down.

if you would just wait a week, you'd think, "hey apple is in a better position now that they have safari on windows." and when they're ready they'll be releasing the new imac for back to school buyers.

The "little" things they announced are all just another small step in the right direction and in my mind they're ahead of the competition in a lot of ways.

The ONE thing i really sorta expected to be detailed was support for ZFS, but maybe steve is being spiteful now that sun spilled the beans early. ZFS is going to be a MAJOR step ahead for OS X and apple and it will be overlooked just the same as every other innovation announced as becoming a part of OS X today.

I did expect SOME hardware today. At least new monitors (as begged for by one of the other suits on stage, whom I thought at the time was in on knowing their announcement was minutes away). Those available are long in the tooth. But fear not, as the man said many Apple hardware intros are done lately without major fanfare (especially after the storm of criticism at Steve's supposed overhyping of the "a few new fun products" speech last year, when in actuality the press had hyped itself up, IMHO).

But by and large I think we caught glimpses of a larger Apple strategy today. "Safari everywhere," including on your upper model iPods, BTW sells iPhones (and yes he did later say there would be Tiger version). The "three great ways to run Windows on Macs" combined with the gaming announcements knocks out two more reasons people have wavered on switching. (I'll use Safari where I have to and stick with the Fox, thank you, at least until there's something resembling as many add-ons and all the Gmail features work on it, but I get the logic for the great unwashed.)

ZFS, if it's a true story, will be a strategic deal in the longer run, especially as MS is at least two years behind in this important plumbing of its OS. And for Leopard Server, it will be huge in the minds of IT buyers.

And while only quickly referenced, YouTube on Apple TV along with ease of networking if you go all Mac (Airport Extreme, Apple TV, Macs, iPhones, iPods) will sell more hardware. Because people will be captivated not only by "it just works," but also by "it works on all my devices in basically the same ways." The unmentioned rumored deal to go to Movie rentals is another piece of a strategic mosaic building an Apple life style.

So take a chill pill and start salivating over what will be a hardware torrent by Christmas buying season to play with all of this on. Monitors, iPods, MP's, iMacs (with more options on the 24" job to fill the gap between consumer and pro hardware), a Santa Rosa MacBook, maybe even a Thinbook or gussied up high end MB.

Buncha' sore winners here says me. Who can't accept that personal computing is inevitably moving from PC-centric and productivity-centric to multi-device life-style centric, and Apple gets this. So no mini-towers in your Christmas stockings, boys. But plenty of good stuff.
  • Reply 85 of 150
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

I can't believe it's still Aqua. There's a safe bet it'll be removed by October.

Don't bet your house though on that.
  • Reply 86 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

10.0: Icebergs move faster. Dear God.

Quote of the day!
  • Reply 87 of 150
    Quote:

As the others said, don't be so absolute in what you say. I would suggest to read what Apple officially says in its web site. Now if you don't want to believe that this is so, then OK.
  • Reply 88 of 150
    groakesgroakes Posts: 53member
    To my eyes, I think it's quite impressive. OK, if the dock wasn't reflective or the menu bar wasn't transparent I wouldn't miss it. But I do think that Leopard seems to be a superbly useable evolution. Don't forget, this is 10.5 NOT 11 so I would say evolution is the name of the game.

Another thing - the Stacks (and coverflow preview) feature looks like it has multi-touch very much in mind. I think there is a whole swag of revolutionary hardware (using evolutionary software) ready to redefine the "computer" paradigm.

You got a MacBook Pro update just before the conference and the iPhone at the nd of the month. The conference itself (at least this year) is about prepositioning Leopard and showing just how much more integrated and elegant the OS is in comparison to the pot pourri that is Vista in all its flavours.

Personally, I can't wait!
  • Reply 89 of 150
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

You mean iChat Theater? It doesn't let you remotely control a friends Mac; it just lets you show apps that are running on your Mac (show your Powerpoint/Keynote slides, etc.).

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/ichat.html

No Apple did have a feature advertised for iChat in Leopard showing the actual Finder window of another computer in the theatre screen. One of those last minute and unfortunate drops, I am afraid.
  • Reply 90 of 150
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Hey,

Hadn't Apple announced that Leopard would be a binary PPC/Intel release (and doubtless the last)?

64 bit "end to end" kinda puts the kibosh on that, no?? Or was I in an altered state when I thot I heard that....?
  • Reply 91 of 150
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Man, the mis-interpretations are enormous.

Quote:

He didn't say it was 64-bit. He said it was 64-bit and 32-bit side by side, in one package.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Hey,

Hadn't Apple announced that Leopard would be a binary PPC/Intel release (and doubtless the last)?

64 bit "end to end" kinda puts the kibosh on that, no?? Or was I in an altered state when I thot I heard that....?

Again, it has 64-bit code in it. But that doesn't limit it to 64-bit processors. There's intel code in there, but it still works on a PPC mac. Same concept.

And, besides all of that, why not look at it in the sense of making money. What kind of stupid-ass would Apple be to basically say "Hey, 90% of our users can't use this kind-of-lame OS upgrade! That's going to spur sales!"

More importantly, looking at the specs, he's basically said people's 3 year old iBook G3s now have out-dated hardware.
  • Reply 92 of 150
    sandslsandsl Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Absolute nonsense. It'll work just fine on G4s.
  • Reply 93 of 150
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

I stand by what I said. This could be because it's a still a beta and the OS isn't full 64-bit and so they could get the most beta testers but there's no way to run a full 64-bit OS on a 32-bit CPU.

You are utterly wrong. The beauty of Leopard is that there is only one version, unlike Vista and XP where there are separate 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

The 32/64 bit nature of Leopard is easily the most under-rated achievement of the OS. Even Microsoft, with their vastly larger resources, couldn't work out how to do what Apple have done.

With Windows, you have to get either a 32 bit version or a 64 bit version. For the 64 bit version, all drivers have to be specifically 64 bit. The 32 bit Windows drivers will not work.

Leopard is different. It has 64 bit code in it, but it also has 32 bit code. So you can run it on a 32 bit CPU just fine. When running on a 64 bit machine, the 64 bit code (where it exists) will be used. In addition, 32 bit drivers work just fine on 64 bit machines, even alongside other drivers which are 64 bit.
  • Reply 94 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groakes View Post

To my eyes, I think it's quite impressive. OK, if the dock wasn't reflective or the menu bar wasn't transparent I wouldn't miss it. But I do think that Leopard seems to be a superbly useable evolution. Don't forget, this is 10.5 NOT 11 so I would say evolution is the name of the game.

Another thing - the Stacks (and coverflow preview) feature looks like it has multi-touch very much in mind. I think there is a whole swag of revolutionary hardware (using evolutionary software) ready to redefine the "computer" paradigm.

You got a MacBook Pro update just before the conference and the iPhone at the nd of the month. The conference itself (at least this year) is about prepositioning Leopard and showing just how much more integrated and elegant the OS is in comparison to the pot pourri that is Vista in all its flavours.

Personally, I can't wait!

there wont be an 11. 10 is the mark of a revolution. 10 means X. OS X is what people know. even though OS X means OS 10 we still have people saying OS X 10.4. 11 is meaningless.
  • Reply 95 of 150
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

Another big factor is June AAPL Option expirations this friday. If the Hedge funds have a big position on being able to sell the stock at $125 on friday (when its price is ~$120), then they will sell (at a profit) some of their horde of stock to keep the price below $125. They make money both ways.Option expiration fridays historically produce strange gyrations in stock movement during that week especially for rocket stocks like AAPL. Ill informed AAPL option investors who thought the stock would easily zoom past $125 because of all the iPhone and WWDC hype may take a serious bath this week. The hedgies rule this game. For AAPL investors, sit tight and wait at least til next week before doing anything.

It seems AAPL is dipping even more, it's going to get worse since Steve show off 10 features that most people already learned from rumors. Is there any more secret features that people haven't learned from last show case? Not impressive at all!
  • Reply 96 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HFU View Post

It seems AAPL is dipping even more, it's going to get worse since Steve show off 10 features that most people already learned from rumors.

Small correction here, not from rumors but from Apple itself during last year's WWDC and its web site. There were zero precise rumors about the new desktop and Finder. All the rest Mac-scpecific features showed at WWDC were known. The WWDC surprise was not Mac-specific.
  • Reply 97 of 150
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thedillydotcom View Post

there wont be an 11 ..... 11 is meaningless.

11?!? Meaningless??? Try telling that to Nigel!

Dave
  • Reply 98 of 150
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    IMHO, I'm looking forward to this release. I'm on the fence over whether I should actually upgrade or not, however, as I've become fairly comfortable with my current computing environment in 10.4, and my computer may not run any faster in 10.5 (it's a G4; I'ma have to wait to see what other G4 users think before upgrading my own computer). Just about the only feature that will tip me over the edge is the merging of iLife, iWork, and OSX... it needs to come in one package for $129. It's begging to be released like that. Everyone'd be happy, they'd sell a ton more copies, and it would be so much more of a bargain. I don't think I should have to pay more than $129 per year to keep my computer up-to-date on software, and I'd really appreciate the convenience of simply throwing all the new software into a package deal. Please Apple. Come to your senses.

EDIT: Come to think of it, they REALLY should think about including dot mac as well. If you think about it, the only limitation in the past for free dot mac service has been the cost of webspace and bandwidth, which have gone down significantly since dot mac's beginnings. In addition, with next-generation web technologies in place, services like dot mac can be faster and more useful than it used to be. The popular GMail offers two gigs of storage and virtually unlimited bandwidth... for free. That's right. Free. It may not have all the features of dot mac, but it goes to show that dot mac has only a few steps to go before it is financially viable for Apple to throw a service like dot mac in with their operating system package. As the internet becomes more and more important to personal computing, options like this should present themselves more and more.
  • Reply 99 of 150
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HFU View Post

It seems AAPL is dipping even more, it's going to get worse since Steve show off 10 features that most people already learned from rumors. Is there any more secret features that people haven't learned from last show case? Not impressive at all!

Actually the stock seems to be going back up.... 120.92 ( +0.73 ) as of this writing.

• Reply 100 of 150
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Quote of the day!

Thanks. But it was so true.

I remember checking out 10.0 when it first came out, and I was just shocked/horrified. It was very cool, but completely unusable, entirely due to the speed issue. Really re-confirmed my belief in NOT being an early adopter of anything. \

Of course, once Jaguar came out, I jumped on board, and was very happy about it. I still missed OS 9 for a little while though... it was nearly as stable as OS X, for me at least.

It was really only bad ol' System 7.5.x (and 7.6?) that crashed more often than a drunk driver in a snowstorm... only Windows 95 could match it for driving into a tree. Those were the bad ol' days.

This discussion has been closed.