No New Hardware Again?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
When was the last time a significant piece of new hardware was announced? I can live w/o a headless mac, tablet, or touchscreen device. But how 'bout an updated Mini? New iMac form factor? The new Mac Pros are nice, but out of most consumer budgets. Looking forward to Leopard, but it's been a long wait and it's still not here. I might get an iPhone, but I'm only marginally interested. But I REALLY WANT a new iMac for the office and a new Mini for my new home theater system and it seems like I've been waiting forever. I know, I know, buy what you need when you need it. But both the iMac and Mini are due for refreshes and have been for some time so I don't want to get burned. I'd love a HT Mini, specifically designed for a home theater, with a blu-ray drive, HDMI output, and a very large hard drive. I'd pay a premium for that, as would a lot of people. But a refreshed base Mini, with no blu-ray, would be acceptable as well. And we've been living with the latest iMac form for a long time. Botton line, I'm getting tired of waiting for updates to the core consumer line of macs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Join the club. Apple has completely placed my home theater/home office project on indefinite hold. I keep waiting, and waiting, and waiting. At first it was let's see what happens at Macworld in January. Nice phone! OK WWDC is in 6 months there will be hardware updates for sure. Fast forward 6 months and once again NOTHING! Nice Fandango widget! Now it has been 9 months of patience waiting for an update to either the iMac or Mini and I have had it. The problem is if you buy now because who wants to wait any longer, the new ones are sure to come out in the next 3-6 months. So do I wait what would be a total of a year or just buy today and risk it? Impossible question to answer. It is very frustrating, I feel your pain. Those who say stop whining have probably not been literally waiting 9 months to buy.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdconway View Post

... a new Mini for my new home theater system ... I'd love a HT Mini, specifically designed for a home theater, with a blu-ray drive, HDMI output, and a very large hard drive. I'd pay a premium for that, as would a lot of people.

That's what I'd personally like. HiDef Mini = include current I/O + HDMI/bigger HD/FW800 (ext.HD support). BlueRay could be an (expensive) BTO option.

Maybe this is what the AppleTV will eventually be? Who knows... just don't kill the Mini just yet.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I can't remember the last time there were two consecutive stevenotes without a Mac hardware announcement.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    next surprise will be

Partnering with Dell, availablility of OSX on Dell Boxes

geez, just kidding

i hate iPhone, it took Mac business away

hope only excuse Apple waiting for Penryn CPUs to do the Headless Mac, iMac with Desktop CPU, MacBook mini and so on ...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Steve, does not want to announce updated hardware at a Stevenotes, if he wanted to he would have waited a week to release the MacBook Pro. Steve wants to use the Stevenotes to hype new products. iPhone, OSX.5, Safari for windows, etc.... He wants the press coverage to concentrate on new hardware or software, not "Apple updates the iMac". Steve will be content to release the new iMac either before or just after iPhone release. This keeps apple in the news.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

next surprise will be

Partnering with Dell, availablility of OSX on Dell Boxes

It's going to basically take that for leopards innovations to not be wasted...well, more likely HP.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BostonMH View Post

Steve, does not want to announce updated hardware at a Stevenotes, if he wanted to he would have waited a week to release the MacBook Pro.

Yeah but the iMacs are long overdue. They should have been released before the Macbook pro update and before the Keynote. This way people would be like, 'that Keynote sucked but at least they relased new imacs'. At the moment it's just 'that keynote sucked'.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by docprego

Join the club.

This club's getting pretty big, I think we're going to have to split off into sub-clubs. Everybody who wants plastic cubes over to the left and everybody who wants metal cubes over to the right. We'll take it from there and once we reach 12 million members in about a week, we'll split it down further. Then we take out the iMac lovers, I think there's only 4 of 'em so we should be able to overpower them.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I vote to cut the fingers off all the multitouch people.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    jimbo123jimbo123 Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMcLargehuge View Post

I vote to cut the fingers off all the multitouch people.

• Reply 10 of 10
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    You did see the D5 conference video or listen to the audio, right? Apple is a software company. Gorgeous machines, but it is all software...iPhone, iPod, Macs - they are all devices running key software. Because of that, I think Jobs is focusing on new products and software at the conferences and saving the hardware announcements for either special events or simple updates. Besides, we are getting hardware updates at a fairly normal rate (considering they just transitioned to Intel), except for the iMac of course, but that is due to iPhone and Leopard development. I get the feeling they'll be doing some kind of new device (tablet? multitouch?) also in the next year or so.