Apple to release Safari browser for Windows

Comments

• Reply 101 of 127
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    I actually like the font rendering. In some ways, the fonts are easier to read for me.

Greg: I was wondering something similar. There are a few little animation effects which happen that are out of the norm compared to Windows XP movements. They seem to happen smoothly and I was wondering what was driving them.
  • Reply 102 of 127
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

And if they're already using Safari on Windows, they'll obviously be able to jump over to OS X Safari without missing a beat.

The public perception may be that way, but I really don't think it's true... IMO, switching at random between any of the modern web browsers (IE, FF, Safari, Konqueror, you name it) is already a no-brainer. The browsers can differentiate themselves by features (speed, standards compliance, extras, etc) but as far as I've seen, the differences in core user experience are so subtle that I don't even notice them.
  • Reply 103 of 127
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whiskerlickins View Post

I'm having the most bizarre problem and I've searched everywhere and found no solution.

This isn't my screenshot, but I'm having the same problem in XP:

http://www.imagespar.com/img/40bf6c9...8cd669/wtf.PNG

Anyone know how to remedy this? It looks to be a font issue. Thanks!

It appears that the font used to display menus in Safari, and all of the text on the Apple Start Page, Lucida Grande, has not been installed. It?s available to download here, this should work.
  • Reply 104 of 127
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by koskar View Post

I was able to log on (and remembering user/pass) on my company's web page. but I can't do bookmarks. Import, add, everything regarding bookmarks just crashes the program down. I tried reinstalling (with and without preferences flush) to no avail...

I guess i should try it with different peecee

the tabs reorganizing is cool! especially when tabs change into thumbnails of their contents

What the hellll? The tabs thing doesn't work on OS X? I can reorganize but drag tabs off the bookmark bar just makes them disappear in a puff of smoke???
  • Reply 105 of 127
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    oops... I'm a moron. I was dragging around my bookmarks instead of my tabs... dumbass, lol
  • Reply 106 of 127
    cedriccedric Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

Well I installed it and it is (wait for it) SLOWER for me. By the way "wait for it" seems to be an appropriate tag-line for the new Safari 3.0.

However, to be fair it does do one thing much faster than Safari 2 - It locks up good and fast.....Argh.

Same for me (slower), but I'll keep it anyway... Strange however that some people here report that it's faster and some other report that it's slower... How comes?

What amazed me and made me laugh was that one:

It reminded me Vista when I saw that I was going "Oh please no! Don't do that to me only because there's a version of Safari for Vista now!"

I think that's also available in 2.0 but anyway I've never seen that before... Fortunately I quickly found out how to deactivate it...

Enjoy your day!

Update: I had to switch back to Version 2 because MSN Messenger wouldn't work properly with Safari 3.0 installed ... Quite strange... Sadly all my friends are using messnger and I don't like aMSN or MercuryMessnger so: Goodbye Safari 3.0!
  • Reply 107 of 127
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    I?ve had mixed experiences. The beta installed and uninstalled fine on both my MacBook and my parents? Windows XP machine. Font rendering looks great on the PC. Also, as previously noted by other users, the animations, such as the sheet for adding a bookmark, a running incredibly smoothly, unlike other experiences in iTunes with Cover Flow and the blessed Start Menu. Perhaps they ported over Core Image too?

On OS X, it installed with out a hitch and was perfectly usable. I do have one small gripe though: it buggered up iTunes so that the only thing it could display was the iTunes Store, everything else I clicked on in the sidebar was blank. I had to revert to Safari 2.0 and reinstall iTunes, which turned out to not be that big a deal. What can you expect from beta software?

I have to say, however, that the browsing experience has become much more pleasurable on both OS X and Windows; now if only they can sort out Cover Flow on XP I?ll be happy!

Good job, Apple.
  • Reply 108 of 127
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Truth is, I was expecting much more, going from 2 to 3. This seems like a point release.
  • Reply 109 of 127
    The new Safari refuses to install itself on my G4 dual 10.4.9

Like others, it doesn't meet some (unnamed) requirements.

What an advertisement for Apple!

Maybe it's because I had deleted the old Safari after it refused to perform the simplest taks; Firefox beat it hands down. Now I can't install the new improved Safari to give it another chance.....
  • Reply 110 of 127
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    i have not had any problems yet and so far have only installed it on my G4 iBook
  • Reply 111 of 127
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cedric View Post

Same for me (slower), but I'll keep it anyway... Strange however that some people here report that it's faster and some other report that it's slower... How comes?

What amazed me and made me laugh was that one:

It reminded me Vista when I saw that I was going "Oh please no! Don't do that to me only because there's a version of Safari for Vista now!"

I think that's also available in 2.0 but anyway I've never seen that before... Fortunately I quickly found out how to deactivate it...

Enjoy your day!

crap. how. i've forgotten.
  • Reply 112 of 127
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

The public perception may be that way, but I really don't think it's true... IMO, switching at random between any of the modern web browsers (IE, FF, Safari, Konqueror, you name it) is already a no-brainer. The browsers can differentiate themselves by features (speed, standards compliance, extras, etc) but as far as I've seen, the differences in core user experience are so subtle that I don't even notice them.

Yes, but its a "no brainer" by geek standards. Joe and Jane Sixpack aren't near as tech savvy. There's also the comfort level involved in using something that looks the same as what you're used to using.

I would agree though that the much larger switcher bait is having Leopard's Finder be very much like iTunes. 300 million Windows users already know how to use iTunes, so they already know how to use the Leopard Finder, and the barrier to switching is lowered. Nice.

Now if only Apple would get more aggressive with its hardware lineup and pricing, switching might become as commonplace as Paris Hilton-in-jail 'news' stories.

• Reply 113 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Yes, but its a "no brainer" by geek standards. Joe and Jane Sixpack aren't near as tech savvy. There's also the comfort level involved in using something that looks the same as what you're used to using.

I would agree though that the much larger switcher bait is having Leopard's Finder be very much like iTunes. 300 million Windows users already know how to use iTunes, so they already know how to use the Leopard Finder, and the barrier to switching is lowered. Nice.

Now if only Apple would get more aggressive with its hardware lineup and pricing, switching might become as commonplace as Paris Hilton-in-jail 'news' stories.

Apple's doing this for the same reason MS made Windows CE, and Windows Mobile look like the Windows computer desktop, even though OSes are COMPLETELY different. Familiarity, as you said.
  • Reply 114 of 127
    Looks like we already have people coming up with vulnerabilities of the Safary browser for windoes. Some of these guys will not be informing Apple, instead the will use it.
  • Reply 115 of 127
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    I suppose another reason for releasing Safari on Windows, besides the "iPhone SDK nonsense", is that it will probably allow Windows users to synchronize their Bookmarks from their PC to their iPhone. Sure, they could have tried converting IE favorites over to the iPhone version of Safari, but this way would be a lot neater.

Who knows, maybe it'll also allow for .Mac synchronization between Safari on a Mac and on Windows...
  • Reply 116 of 127
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

Looks like we already have people coming up with vulnerabilities of the Safary browser for windoes. Some of these guys will not be informing Apple, instead the will use it.

From what I've read so far, this could be a huge problem for uptake on the platform, and for Apple's game plan. Hope it isn't anything more than teething pain.

If Apple's browser gains a reputation, right out of the gate, of being very insecure, it does exactly the opposite of acting as a trojan horse for switchers-- it instead confirms Windows users prejudices that Apple's claims to being "more secure" than Windows is just because their software doesn't have the high profile of Windows.

"See?", they can say, "As soon as you put Apple's stuff on the majority platform it gets hammered and is revealed to be a house of cards."

Worse, I can't think of a good response.
  • Reply 117 of 127
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

I just downloaded the beta for OSX, and damn it's fast. It's noticeably faster than Camino 1.5, and I didn't think that was possible. Too bad the Java supports is still shitty!

Java support? Both Camino and Safari use the same Java engine. Or do you mean Javascript?

If so, I've found the javascript support is much improved. The problem that remains is that many javascript scripts like the WYSIWYG editors such as FCKEditor sniff for the browser string and find WebKit and switch off features in the script because Safari 2.0 didn't work the same as IE/FF. Apple added support for the features used by these scripts but the script people themselves now have to fix there sniffer code.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whiskerlickins View Post

I'm having the most bizarre problem and I've searched everywhere and found no solution.

This isn't my screenshot, but I'm having the same problem in XP:

http://www.imagespar.com/img/40bf6c9...8cd669/wtf.PNG

Anyone know how to remedy this? It looks to be a font issue. Thanks!

That's because you've a Lucida Grande Font installed that is corrupt. Delete the installed font and it should then work. You can also get around it by moving the font files out of the Safari resources folder and installing them as system fonts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealjays View Post

* No Ctrl-Enter for www.----.com insertion

Safari will just add that anyway if you don't type them and it can't find it. But a bigger question would be why you're not using OpenDNS.com for your name resolution. That even corrects .cmo and other common mistakes.

Quote:

* Hovering over browser buttons doesn't provide any info (annoying but I will figure out the cryptic icons)

It does on the Mac so I presume that's just an oversight on Windows.

Quote:

* Keeps resizing the window on me (upon returning after switching apps) [side note: a feature in general that I am shocked is not availabe on a Mac (I am even more shocked that no one talks about it) is that you can't toggle a window to full size easily like in Windows

Because that behaviour sucks. On the Mac the maximise window button has always sized the window to the 'largest size needed to fit all the content' as opposed to stupid behaviour Windows introduced where it maximises it to the entire screen regardless of if you need it that big. As monitors get bigger, the Mac way makes even more sense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Truth is, I was expecting much more, going from 2 to 3. This seems like a point release.

There is more in v3 but you're not seeing it yet as some of it relies on Leopard. eg. Webclips, however I'd disagree, the interface changes are subtle but the engine changes are major, especially javascript and CSS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

That would be David Maynor. Nobody takes him seriously. How can you take any security expert seriously if they refuse to demo the bugs they've found never mind tell the application developer about them.
  • Reply 118 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

There is more in v3 but you're not seeing it yet as some of it relies on Leopard. eg. Webclips, however I'd disagree, the interface changes are subtle but the engine changes are major, especially javascript and CSS.

That's certainly possible. I'm just going by what I'm seeing, and what I'm seeing isn't major, and hasn't fixed some of the bugs that I've already mentioned. Since it's still a beta, I'm not too concerned, but I hope that Apple will have looked at some of them.
  • Reply 119 of 127
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's certainly possible. I'm just going by what I'm seeing, and what I'm seeing isn't major, and hasn't fixed some of the bugs that I've already mentioned. Since it's still a beta, I'm not too concerned, but I hope that Apple will have looked at some of them.

I'm not sure those are bugs. Some of them are just things you don't like working that way whereas I'm quite fine with them working that way and others I don't have (like issues with urls beginning irc...)

Perhaps you've a corrupt prefs file for your internet helpers. John Gruber had a similar problem...

http://daringfireball.net/2004/05/internet_helper
  • Reply 120 of 127
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

J

That would be David Maynor. Nobody takes him seriously. How can you take any security expert seriously if they refuse to demo the bugs they've found never mind tell the application developer about them.

Not just Maynor.