Graphics update on Macbooks?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So i'm looking to buy a macbook soon and couldn't think of any place else to get advice than AppleInsider.

I really want one, and need to get one before the end of August, but the only thing keeping me is the graphics. dedicated graphics suck, and i'm really hoping for an update. do you guys think anything will come to the Macbook when Leopard comes out or anytime soon?

Macbook needs a graphics update!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 0range View Post

I really want one, and need to get one before the end of August, but the only thing keeping me is the graphics. dedicated graphics suck,

Dedicated graphics is what people beg for. You mean perhaps integrated?

Quote:

and i'm really hoping for an update. do you guys think anything will come to the Macbook when Leopard comes out or anytime soon?

Anytime soon, no, I don't think so. Around the time Leopard ships (October-November) probably yes.

Quote:

Macbook needs a graphics update!!

Almost everyone here will agree with you. But you will have to wait for that, I am afraid.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    It would be pretty amazing if Apple ever released a MacBook with anything except integrated graphics. Intel (and Nvidia) are both working on better versions of integrated graphics (it's good enough to go in now, so it will only be more so later), and it's an easy way of differentiating between pro and consumer lines.

If you're waiting on discreet graphics in a MacBook, I think you're waiting for SJ to retire.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post

If you're waiting on discreet graphics in a MacBook, I think you're waiting for SJ to retire.

Probably longer than that. However, Apple left the new (and clearly superior to what the Macbook has now) integrated graphics coming with SR out. It is almost a given that the Macbook will finally see a graphics update this autumn, even if this is the new integrated Intel graphics (which surely will be).
  • Reply 4 of 36
    0range0range Posts: 3member
    ah yeah, i meant integrated graphics. i dont like it.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    0range0range Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Probably longer than that. However, Apple left the new (and clearly superior to what the Macbook has now) integrated graphics coming with SR out. It is almost a given that the Macbook will finally see a graphics update this autumn, even if this is the new integrated Intel graphics (which surely will be).

How good will the new integrated Intel graphics be compared to the GMA 950?

and exactly when this Autumn? i don't really know much the schedule of Mac events, but i know thats when they usually release things. I'd like to know the approx date to decide whether I can wait or not
  • Reply 6 of 36
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

ah yeah, i meant integrated graphics. i dont like it.

Yea?!?! And what do we call this? Class? Anyone? Anyone?!

Yes, that's absolutely right Johnny, it's Apple subtle (as a brick) way of making you trade up to a Macbook Pro.

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 36
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I think Apple is waiting for the "Bearlake" chipset to become available before moving the MacBook, and maybe the Mac mini, to the Santa Rosa platform. The main advantage I see is the graphics (GMA x3500) supports OpenGL 2.0 where the x3100 supports OpenGL 1.5. The "Bearlake" chipsets are also designed to work with the "Penryn family" (45nm) processors so any changes made to the board design won't be affected when Apple starts using the 45nm processors.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    No there wont be a MacBook update that soon. It doesn't get updated that often.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

the way that apple is talking about games they better do something soon.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

I think Apple is waiting for the "Bearlake" chipset to become available before moving the MacBook, and maybe the Mac mini, to the Santa Rosa platform. The main advantage I see is the graphics (GMA x3500) supports OpenGL 2.0 where the x3100 supports OpenGL 1.5. The "Bearlake" chipsets are also designed to work with the "Penryn family" (45nm) processors so any changes made to the board design won't be affected when Apple starts using the 45nm processors.

Bearlake is a desktop chipset; it'll never be in a MacBook. The next MacBook update will deliver most of the Santa Rosa chipset, including the X3100 integrated graphics.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    kukitokukito Posts: 113member
    Quote:

Bearlake is for desktops. The next update for laptops will be Montevina, about a year from now. Apple could add discrete graphics to the present or future MacBooks if they wanted to, but it would increase the price.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

and exactly when this Autumn? i don't really know much the schedule of Mac events, but i know thats when they usually release things. I'd like to know the approx date to decide whether I can wait or not

Late October to mid-November would be my guess. That's when iBooks and MacBooks have traditionally been updated, in the twice-yearly cycle.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kukito View Post

Bearlake is for desktops. The next update for laptops will be Montevina, about a year from now. Apple could add discrete graphics to the present or future MacBooks if they wanted to, but it would increase the price.

That sucks! I was hoping to get a MacBook and an ACD, but not while it has the GMA 950 in it.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:

That sucks! I was hoping to get a MacBook and an ACD, but not while it has the GMA 950 in it.

Dude, chill. MacBooks don't have Santa Rosa (which is available now) yet, so that's the next update that they'll get, in the next few months. It'll replace the GMA 950 with the X3100 - a decent upgrade.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Pay attention to these posts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post

It would be pretty amazing if Apple ever released a MacBook with anything except integrated graphics. Intel (and Nvidia) are both working on better versions of integrated graphics (it's good enough to go in now, so it will only be more so later), and it's an easy way of differentiating between pro and consumer lines.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Yea?!?! And what do we call this? Class? Anyone? Anyone?!

Yes, that's absolutely right Johnny, it's Apple's subtle (as a brick) way of making you trade up to a Macbook Pro.

Dave

Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

To put it plainly, you're stuck with lower-end graphics unless you upgrade to the MBP. That's part of what makes the pro machine pro. If this is for college, be sure to use your education discount, and those will be down to start at $1799.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    I am perplexed as to new MacBook arriving without Santa Rosa update (at least GMA X3100). I suppose for the intended market (EDU and general consumers), GMA 950 isn't that bad, provided Mac OS X is updated to borrow more than 64 MB of shared memory for video use. In fact, recent MB update is more of a minor bump than a real update, and I suspect when Leopard arrives in October, MB will get more proper SR update.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

I am perplexed as to new MacBook arriving without Santa Rosa update (at least GMA X3100). I suppose for the intended market (EDU and general consumers), GMA 950 isn't that bad, provided Mac OS X is updated to borrow more than 64 MB of shared memory for video use. In fact, recent MB update is more of a minor bump than a real update, and I suspect when Leopard arrives in October, MB will get more proper SR update.

the SR update seems to me, at least right now, to be a way to differentiate the MB Pro fromt he MB. It's possible the MBs might get SR upon the launch of Leopard, but then comes the question of what the MBPs will get to separate from the MBs...

*bell rings*

LET THE RUMORS BEGIN!
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

the SR update seems to me, at least right now, to be a way to differentiate the MB Pro fromt he MB. It's possible the MBs might get SR upon the launch of Leopard, but then comes the question of what the MBPs will get to separate from the MBs...

*bell rings*

LET THE RUMORS BEGIN!

Answer: the same as when both MacBook and MacBook Pro were based on Napa + Core Duo, and Napa + Core 2 Duo.

We saw before, with the update to Core 2 Duo, that the MacBook Pro got the update first, and then a month or so later, the MacBook got the update.

There's still plenty else to differentiate the two:
    • Dedicated graphics

• Bigger screens

• FireWire 800

• ExpressCard slot

• Metal casework

• Higher clock-speed CPUs

• Backlit keyboard

• Reply 19 of 36
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

LET THE RUMORS BEGIN!

Although more substantial than MB, SR MBP has a lot more room for improvement.
    • Newer interfaces such as eSATA and HDMI

• Magnetic latches (or something similar)

• Docking station option

• Built to order 1680x1050 resolution option

• Built to order HD DVD or Blu-Ray burner option

• Higher resolution iSight

• Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Although more substantial than MB, SR MBP has a lot more room for improvement.
    • Newer interfaces such as eSATA and HDMI

• Magnetic latches (or something similar)

• Docking station option

• Built to order 1680x1050 resolution option

• Built to order HD DVD or Blu-Ray burner option

• Higher resolution iSight

I'd like to see an HD display option on the 15" too... and the iSight higher res sounds good to me

HDMI would be good, as would the option for HD-DVD or Blu-Ray... even if the iSight went to HD... that'd be pretty slick.