Genarlow Wilson finally freed.

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I'm sure many of you know about the case of Genarlow Wilson.

If you aren't familiar, here's a brief overview of it, although it doesn't quite tell the story in its entirety.

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/Lega...1693362&page=1

Nevertheless, the kid's sentence has been finally voided after two years in waiting. It's an outrage it has taken this long. Although I am happy he's finally able to live his life, it's disappointing he had so much taken away from him at the time of the incident.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2900569

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Georgia.

• Reply 2 of 27
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I'm sure many of you know about the case of Genarlow Wilson.

If you aren't familiar, here's a brief overview of it, although it doesn't quite tell the story in its entirety.

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/Lega...1693362&page=1

Nevertheless, the kid's sentence has been finally voided after two years in waiting. It's an outrage it has taken this long. Although I am happy he's finally able to live his life, it's disappointing he had so much taken away from him at the time of the incident.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2900569

It's being appealed though. He may not be getting out.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Stupid and unequal law? yes.

Big Deal when compared to the rest of injustices that occur in this country? Not Really.

The only reason this story is getting so much attention is because he was a star football player. If he had been just a regular student, NO ONE would be hearing one word about this in the media. The reason it has gotten so much attention is because ESPN picked up on the story and then Mark Cuban stated he is boycotting Georgia because of it.

Maybe the next time someone is at a party and about to get a BJ from a 15 year old and then gangbang a 17 year old with their 5 friends while it's being videotaped... they might have second thoughts.

Thousands of people the same age as him are doing just as much if not more jail time for actions far less worse and damaging to others.

Having been in high school and seeing how star athletes think they can get away with anything, and usually do, I can't say this case gets me that riled up... no matter what the race of the offender is.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Er... what exactly did he 'get away with' in this case? The blowjob, *and* the taping of it, were consensual, by the girl's own admission. Neither party was harmed or damaged by the act, as I see it.

People are hearing about it because it's a stupid, sad case. One overzealous hopped-on-Bible-thumpin prosecutor + an archaic outdated law + two kids making a poor judgement call regarding a videocamera = a 10 year sentence, registered sex offender, and a felony?
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Er... what exactly did he 'get away with' in this case? The blowjob, *and* the taping of it, were consensual, by the girl's own admission. Neither party was harmed or damaged by the act, as I see it.

People are hearing about it because it's a stupid, sad case. One overzealous hopped-on-Bible-thumpin prosecutor + an archaic outdated law + two kids making a poor judgement call regarding a videocamera = a 10 year sentence, registered sex offender, and a felony?

If you think nothing is wrong 5 guys getting a 17 year old girl drunk and high to where she is basically passed out then having their way with her in a hotel bathroom, then I can't help you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genarlow_Wilson

I hate to post a link to a Bill O'Reilly clip, but this shows you the information that all other media outlets seem to leave out...

http://search2.foxnews.com/search?ac...end&q=Genarlow

When sick and dying people with cancer and AIDS are being sent to prison for growing marijuana for no one except themselves... Genarlow Wilson's case is not even on a blip on the map of injustices done by the American Legal System in my opinion.

This is nothing but the media pushing this story because it gets ratings and sells papers. It gets people outraged, it has sex appeal, it has sports, and it has a racial factor... This is f*cking media gold to getting people tuning in and keep tuning in to find out what happens.

It appears this guy was a scum bag that did some bad shit and the prosecutors got him for what they could. Just like how Al Capone was prosecuted for Tax Evasion and not being a Gang leader that was responsible for the deaths of many people. But now the media and others with self interest in mind are blowing this up to be the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

BTW... I also have no sympathy for the Duke Lacrosse players either. They made bad choices and used women like they were nothing but sexual objects. Tough Sh*t is what I say to them as well. Karma's a Bitch.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    I really don't get what you're saying.

This case deserves national media attention because it highlights an unjust Georgia state law. Drawing that kind of negative attention to the law is good because it helps influence the state legislature to change the law unless they want others to see the state as "the land where a bunch of backwards dumbfucks reside." So yeah it has a reasonably compelling national interest.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wojciechowski View Post

If you think nothing is wrong 5 guys getting a 17 year old girl drunk and high to where she is basically passed out then having their way with her in a hotel bathroom, then I can't help you.

Ah, you mean the charge he was acquitted of. Not the issue or case at hand.

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genarlow_Wilson

I hate to post a link to a Bill O'Reilly clip, but this pretty much shows you the information that all other media outlets seem to leave out...

http://search2.foxnews.com/search?ac...end&q=Genarlow

Again, not the case at hand.

Quote:

When sick and dying people with cancer and AIDS are being sent to prison for growing marijuana for no one except themselves... Genarlow Wilson's case is not even on a blip on the map of injustices done by the American Legal System in my opinion.

Agreed it's not alone, but it's not exactly something to ignore.

Quote:

This is nothing but the media pushing this story because it gets ratings and sells papers. It gets people outraged, it has sex appeal, it has sports, and it has a racial factor... This is f*cking media gold to getting people tuning in and keep tuning in to find out what happens.

It appears this guy was a scum bag that did some bad shit and the prosecutors got him for what they could. Just like how Al Capone was prosecuted for Tax Evasion and not being a Gang leader that was responsible for the deaths of many people. But now the media and others with self interest in mind are blowing this up to be the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

Of course it's blown out of proportion, it's the *media*. The media pinheads will always be the media pinheads. Nobody said the guy was a saint - but holy fuck, this is just not a case of the punishment fitting the crime *that he was found guilty of*. Playing bait and switch with the crime and the punishment is morally bankrupt... not to mention that the law is pretty fucking stupid to begin with. Which was recognized by the legislature when it was gutted, based on this case. The fact that it wasn't made retroactive was unfortunate.

Look, you're welcome to think what you want, but the fact is, the kid got screwed over in a way that is *way* out of line with what he was convicted of.

Quote:

BTW... I also have no sympathy for the Duke Lacrosse players either. They made bad choices and used women like they were nothing but sexual objects. Tough Sh*t is what I say to them as well. Karma's a Bitch.

THERE we go... you just want the law to go after the fuckers you don't like, no matter how they have to do it, and what they have to pin on them. Well, at least we know where you stand. Justice for you and yours, fuck everyone else, right? Nice one.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

THERE we go... you just want the law to go after the fuckers you don't like, no matter how they have to do it, and what they have to pin on them. Well, at least we know where you stand. Justice for you and yours, fuck everyone else, right? Nice one.

No... what I am saying is that I really don't give a fuck about people who make really fucking stupid decisions that causes harm to others and society in general and then get burned by the legal system.

If you want to refer to me and my people as people who have made bad decisions that hurts oneself instead of others... then fine.

Hell, Paris Hilton didn't cause any harm to anyone else except herself, although she could have, and she got more than a month. Meanwhile a woman who put a shotgun to her children's fathers head and blew his head off while he was sleeping got 2 years. The legal system is fucked and has been since it's inception.

People that are arrogant and view others as being lower then them and a source for their own sadistic pleasures don't get much sympathy from me. And if they are "everyone else"... then yes, FUCK THEM!!!
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Anyway...
  • Reply 10 of 27
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

well that reply changed my opinion.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    I doubt any reply could change it.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

• Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

• Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

• Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

• Reply 17 of 27

Fuckin' Wojo...

You're lucky you're my favorite Duke basketball player.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

• Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

• Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Fuckin' Wojo...

You're lucky you're my favorite Duke basketball player.