mac journal 2.1

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
can someone who has used this please explain it to me. i dont understand why it's a mounted disk... if i eject it, where does it go? where are my notes going to be stored...not on someone's server i hope?

i was just looking for something to store my notes...like a notepad-type app. any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    You must not have installed much software under OS X. It's a mounted disk because it's a dmg file (a disk image). When it's mounted, it looks to your computer like an inserted disk. You need to drag the application to your hard drive if you want to use it after the disk is 'ejected'. Your files are stored (I think) in your preferences folder. Don't worry, they are not on someone elses server.

On another note, there are lots of programs that are distributed in dmg format with application bundles that you just drag to some place on your HD (like your applications folder) and that's all for installing it. No double clicking or anything. Just save it someplace you want it. HTH
  • Reply 2 of 6
    nosariousnosarious Posts: 49member
    You chose one of the nicest programs I use, Mac's Girl. Torifile is right... you just drag the application icon to your favorite applications folder. The applications in OSX are actually packages which contain all the components needed for the program, so in effect you are dragging a compressed folder full o' stuff that the computer will need to run the program.

Very handy...

Anyways, MacJournal is one of the handiest programs around, especially since you can have more than one journal.

Heck, I use mine as a more permanent clipboard for text found on the internet, just because it seems to behave better than the new TextEdit.

Have fun...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mac's girlmac's girl Posts: 556member
    thanks guys. actually, i havent installed much on os x. (what gave that away? lol.) i just started using it when i got my new imac. most of my programs are still os 9, and i dont yet have the x upgrades. actually, i was coming from os 8.6, so i got thrown into 9 and X simultaneously. i also know zero about unix.

i like the mac journal interface...a lot like the mail app. actually, anything to scribble some notes and copy info tidbits to is very handy. at least now they will be organized by date and easier to navigate then notepad.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by mac's girl:

<strong>thanks guys. actually, i havent installed much on os x. (what gave that away? lol.) i just started using it when i got my new imac. most of my programs are still os 9, and i dont yet have the x upgrades. actually, i was coming from os 8.6, so i got thrown into 9 and X simultaneously. i also know zero about unix.

i like the mac journal interface...a lot like the mail app. actually, anything to scribble some notes and copy info tidbits to is very handy. at least now they will be organized by date and easier to navigate then notepad.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I really like macjournal. I'm going to write my magna opus in that thing one day One of the best things about it is that the data is encrypted so it's like a real journal. But better. Think how cool it'll be with inkwell. Exactly like scribbling in a diary, but it's safe from prying eyes

ps - macgirl, I just re-read my post and I sounded sort of snotty. I forgot the after my first sentence... Sorry
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I used MacJournal to complete a business plan. Couldn't have been easier. I also keep a journal for job research, and one which is just a personal journal.

I would like to see if the Inkwell concept can be incorporated. That would be neat, and remember...

its the neat software which is most used. 8^)
  • Reply 6 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by nosarious:

<strong>I used MacJournal to complete a business plan. Couldn't have been easier. I also keep a journal for job research, and one which is just a personal journal.

I would like to see if the Inkwell concept can be incorporated. That would be neat, and remember...

its the neat software which is most used. 8^)</strong><hr></blockquote>

From what I understand about inkwell, any application can use it. It doesn't need to be coded in or anything. I can't wait to get my hands on it. It should be interesting...