No iPhone for business account customers at launch? [more info]

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
When Apple launches iPhone later this month, customers with Cingular/AT&T business accounts may be forced to purchase the device as individuals through the carrier's retail channels, according to reports.

"I just spoke to a Cingular/AT&T business representative from the headquarters of the company (not a kiosk) and was told that iPhones will not be available for purchase by business account customers until further notice," said one AppleInsider reader.

Another, who spoke with his Cingular business account manager, was also told that he would not be able to buy iPhone via Cingular business channels and instead would need to purchase the handset through the carrier's retail channels.

"Furthermore, you can not use a normal business account -- only an account with individual responsibility," that reader said.

Thus far, it appears this stance by Apple and Cingular/ATT has not been put in writing and is instead being passed down verbally to business account managers by their superiors.

It also remains unclear whether the restriction is permanent, or just a temporary measure instated during the initial launch.

At its annual developers conference Monday, Apple announced that iPhone would go on sale at 6:00 p.m. on Friday June 29th. It's not certain whether the 6:00 p.m. time is Pacific time or regional.

Representatives for Apple did respond to multiple inquiries seeking clarification.

Update: Another AppleInsider reader and AT&T business customer was told by a representative of the AT&T Business Division: "AT&T is not selling them to business or to sponsorship accounts under a business; only retail consumers for the first few months. There is no ETA on the sale ban to business."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    OK, if this is true, then we have a real case of AT&T screwing the pooch on this one.

This means that the entire business community is being written off. Who in gods name is going to buy an iPhone if they can't convert their business number? The millions of users who are just dying to carry 2 phones?

On the bright side it means I get to wait for the v1.0 silliness to pass while I wait for them to come to their senses.

Amazing.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    I wonder if one can purchase iPhone as an individual personal customer, then migrate his or her plan to business and get discounts on the plan. Hopefully, this is merely to control limited initial inventory to iPhone's larger intended market (consumers). A number of phones that are available to consumers are "out of stock" for business users, most famous being Nokia N75.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    atxz06atxz06 Posts: 11member
    Jeez... please don't be true. Was eager to get the phone, but not so eager to give up 14% monthly discount.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Test -- major problems on the forums today. We apologize.

-K
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Thought the prices, $499 and $599 were not subsidized, so just buy the phone at the applestore and put your sim card in....that was my plan all along. Although i normally buy my phones thru the business store, here I don't see a reason too...

Tony
  • Reply 6 of 40
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waxhawsam View Post

Thought the prices, $499 and $599 were not subsidized, so just buy the phone at the applestore and put your sim card in....that was my plan all along. Although i normally buy my phones thru the business store, here I don't see a reason too...

Tony

That is IF you can even get to the SIM card on the iphone...
  • Reply 7 of 40
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    It sounds like this might tie into the need for an iTunes account, but I could also see a desire to have a better competition package to RIMM before making a push into the enterprise.

For round one, it also seems to make a bit of sense in controlling demand and making it a little harder to purchase. For the determined, it isn't hard to move your account from a CRU to IRU, and still get the discounts. Just ask your company... (I think you do lose the pooled minutes, but in this case it might not be much of a benefit except for the heaviest of users.)
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whoami View Post

That is IF you can even get to the SIM card on the iphone...

Your thinking the SIM card will be locked into the phone or something? Doubt that, no other GSM phone ATT/Cingular carries is like that....
  • Reply 9 of 40
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Just ask your company...

Ah Grasshopper, you are truly wide-eyed in the ways of the corporate world.

As one blessed/cursed with a company phone (AKA digital ball and chain), I don't have squat to say about the kind of contract I get to participate in. Companies use pooled minutes for the flexibility getting a break for high minutes users.

If AT&T/Apple were to allow me to just swap my SIM, they wouldn't get to bleed me for the 'special' tiered services. That's why they're insisting that corporate users have to sign up personally. They get to bypass corporate bargaining leverage.

It has nothing to do with availability of units.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:

Your thinking the SIM card will be locked into the phone or something? Doubt that, no other GSM phone ATT/Cingular carries is like that....

If you look closely at the new "angled" view of the iPhone demo videos on apple.com, you'll notice whenever it turns to landscape mode that the sim tray looks like it will be accessible. It looks like there's a little pinhole you'll have to stick a pen into, like the Apple Remote.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    If this means I 'can't get phone at 50% off' like I can currently get, I might be able to live with it.

If it means I can't get the rates that they offer my company on this phone....

I'll switch to someone else in spite. My contact is up 6/19/07.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Power to the People!

I think this has more to do with availability than anything else....

Unless Apple wants to sell NO iPhones in the long run....
  • Reply 13 of 40
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Re: Sim Tray

From the other thread a few days ago

Quote:

Here they are... the official specs:

Credit where credit is due: http://www.macrumors.com/

We've obtained the official list of specs that Apple lists for the upcoming device.

• System requirements

- Mac or PC

- iTunes 7

- Internet access is required, and a broadband connection is recommended

- Mac: Mac with a USB 2.0 port, Mac OS X 10.4.8 or later

- PC: Windows PC with a USB 2.0 port and Windows XP Home or Professional (Service Pack 2)

• External Controls

- Volume Up / Down

- Ringer / Silent

- Power / Lock

- Sleep / Wake

- Menu Button

• Dimensions

- 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches / 115 x 61 x 11.6mm

• Weight 4.8 ounces / 125 grams

• Input Method - Multi-touch

• Operating System - OS X

• Screen size - 3.5 inches

• Screen resolution - 320 x 480 at 160 ppi

• Storage - 4GB or 8GB

• GSM - Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900)

• Wireless data

- Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) + EDGE + Bluetooth 2.0

• Camera - 2.0 megapixels

• Battery

- Lithium

- Up to 5 hours - Talk / Video / Browsing

- Up to 16 hours - Audio playback

(Battery life varies by use)

• Connectors and other input & output

- 30 pin iPod connector

- 3.5mm jack includes audio and mic support

- SIM tray

- Built-in speaker

- Built-in microphone

Dave

• Reply 14 of 40
    When is Apple going to announce what the pricing plans are?
  • Reply 15 of 40
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

If you look closely at the new "angled" view of the iPhone demo videos on apple.com, you'll notice whenever it turns to landscape mode that the sim tray looks like it will be accessible. It looks like there's a little pinhole you'll have to stick a pen into, like the Apple Remote.

I don't remember where, but I've seen official Apple photos that point out and label the SIM card slot. So it's definitely accessible.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    adavidwadavidw Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Representatives for Apple did respond to multiple inquiries seeking clarification.

Great! If they did respond, what did they say?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Update: Another AppleInsider reader and AT&T business customer was told by a representative of the AT&T Business Division: "AT&T is not selling them to business or to sponsorship accounts under a business; only retail consumers for the first few months. There is no ETA on the sale ban to business."

There's no estimated time of arrival on the ban? How about now? It appears the ban has already arrived.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Um, you can't just buy the phone, you have to pay for the service as well. If you want to buy the phone, pay $50 a month for the service, then still stick your SIM card in there, fine.

Quote:

This isn't an ATT phone. Its an Apple phone, offered through AT&T. Its all on Apple to add the capabilities, and they'll do it whatever way they want (hell, we're talking about a company that requires you to rip your laptop apart just to swap out the hard drive).

And even if you could swap out the SIM card, there's nothing that says Apple won't have a way to disable the iphone if you're not using the correct type of card (and before you say "Apple wouldn't do that!", please think about what apple let's you do and not do now and in the past).
  • Reply 18 of 40
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Just a link to show a photo of the iPhone and the SIM tray. Take it for what it's worth

Thanks to iPhoneAlleydotcom - http://www.iphonealley.com/news/ipho...tray-after-all
  • Reply 19 of 40
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waytogobuddy View Post

Power to the People!

I think this has more to do with availability than anything else....

Unless Apple wants to sell NO iPhones in the long run....

Speaking of Power to the People... and I know this is a bit out of the way of the topic being discussed but I'm curious to know if anyone has an idea on the following...

I have read articles and other people's posts regarding iPhone images on Apple's website where the iPhone icons are slightly rearranged.

My question is, and anyone feel free to chime in, will the iPhone have the capability to alter the iPhone's icon hierarchy to suit one's personal needs?

The present state of icons on Apple's iPhone web page is (SMS) Text, Calendar, Photos, Camera, Stocks, Maps, Weather, Clock, Calculator, Notes, Settings.

Could one alter the icons to suit there likes in the order they would prefer and have it say, Calendar, Notes, Calulator, Maps, Stocks... you get the picture.

Would be especially useful is third party apps are developed and you have a screen full of app icons. Also, if you have more app icons then screen real estate, then I am assuming one can, with a finger of course, scroll up and down on the iPhone's "Home Page"?
  • Reply 20 of 40
    jkovachjkovach Posts: 18member
    I don't have pooled minutes, but must purchase the phone through my company's web portal on Cingular. If iPhone is not there, then I guess no iPhone for me. Sorry Cingular, I guess I'm staying with Verizon!