Movies on iPhone

-df-df
Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
So, I'm prepping for iPhone. If possible, I plan on getting one on launch day and I'm thinking of encoding some movies I have for it.

Can anyone suggest Handbrake setting for optimized iPhone use? Bitrates and such. I'd like for it to look as good as it can while saving as much space as possible - 8GB isn't much \

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    If you're using the latest version of HB, can't you just use the iPod preset?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    That's not going to give you optimal quality, as iPod's resolution is different. I'm surprised we didn't get a "convert for iPhone" option in QT and iTunes in the latest update...

It would be cool if you could try encoding using several different settings and let us know which ones works best when you get your iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Well im hoping that you will be able to use regular phone formats such as 3HP, MP4 in H263 or H264. The latter will definatley be used as it will be used to support youtube but in what container 3GP or MP4 i dont know. With that screen size to get good picture I would say 320 by 240 isnt enough. Perhaps 640 by 480 if your doing it manually would be best,
  • Reply 4 of 13
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    The iPhone is designed to use the same video from the iTunes store as Apple TV. I'm expecting that if something will play in Apple TV natively, then it will play on the iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    I was thinking, if you want to use the zoom-in feature while playing videos, you want to max out the height of the video, so that it still looks great when you zoom in - and that would be 320Xwhatever_is_proportional.

The only thing that I'm concerned about is bitrate.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'd just wait. The only thing we know is 480 X 320. I definitely wouldn't assume it can play anything that AppleTV can play, but I would assume that it can play anything that the current iPod can play.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    aoooddyaoooddy Posts: 1member
    mobile home sales

------------------------------------

http://www.downloadsuite.org
  • Reply 8 of 13
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    When its launched im going to post some clips encoded in various formats to test the capabilities so if you guys can test them that would be great.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoooddy View Post

mobile home sales

------------------------------------

http://www.downloadsuite.org

yeah that's exactly what I was thinking!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    squall58squall58 Posts: 29member
    i think the format is important for you iPhone, if you choose good format with high video quality and small space, that would be helpful for you iphone, i alway choose mp4a whchi is ripping dvd by ImTOO DVD to iPhone Converter. i think mp4a is a good format for you iphone
  • Reply 11 of 13
    cloud167cloud167 Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squall58 View Post

i think the format is important for you iPhone, if you choose good format with high video quality and small space, that would be helpful for you iphone, i alway choose mp4a whchi is ripping dvd by ImTOO DVD to iPhone Converter. i think mp4a is a good format for you iphone

well, mp4a is a kind of mp4.but more advace than normal mp4.But in iPhone, i don't think that you will find the video quality is better than mp4.what is more? i do not used imtoo product before
  • Reply 12 of 13
    squall58squall58 Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloud167 View Post

well, mp4a is a kind of mp4.but more advace than normal mp4.But in iPhone, i don't think that you will find the video quality is better than mp4.what is more? i do not used imtoo product before

i know that iPhone will support mp4a,cos it is not selling in my place , i am not sure it real sure support it. and ImTOO DVD to iPhone Converter is upcoming in its site.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squall58 View Post

i know that iPhone will support mp4a,cos it is not selling in my place , i am not sure it real sure support it. and ImTOO DVD to iPhone Converter is upcoming in its site.

cos ,iphone is not come out , you will wait iPhone until july, then you can enjoy you iphone