AppleTV-How to copy files over

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Now that the 160GB version of the Apple TV is out I'm interested in upgrading to that from my 40GB version. The only problem I see is how to handle the data.

I used to steam my data from my Mac but now simply sync it. I have almost 20GB of video and music files. In the future once I get the 160GB version I want to use far more video. The problem then becomes my MacBook's Hard Drive space. It is almost full.

With my iPod I'm able to simply drag files from my Mac to the iPod in addition to syncing. I'd like to be able to drag files from my Mac to the AppleTV in addition to syncing. That way I can put a lot of videos onto the 160GB hard drive even though they don't all fit on my MacBook. I store a lot of them on cd's and dvd's when not being used. How do I go about doing this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickr10 View Post

Now that the 160GB version of the Apple TV is out I'm interested in upgrading to that from my 40GB version. The only problem I see is how to handle the data.

I used to steam my data from my Mac but now simply sync it. I have almost 20GB of video and music files. In the future once I get the 160GB version I want to use far more video. The problem then becomes my MacBook's Hard Drive space. It is almost full.

With my iPod I'm able to simply drag files from my Mac to the iPod in addition to syncing. I'd like to be able to drag files from my Mac to the AppleTV in addition to syncing. That way I can put a lot of videos onto the 160GB hard drive even though they don't all fit on my MacBook. I store a lot of them on cd's and dvd's when not being used. How do I go about doing this?

As it stands, you can't currently do this.

(Having said that, there may be a hack out there which will let you do this. Check http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Main_Page)