in Mac Software edited January 2014
[quote]Macintosh® OS 9.0 or higher/ Mac OS X 10.1.3. or higher:

*\t400 MHz G3 processor

*\t128 MB of RAM

*\t16 MB ATI Technologies or nVidia chipset 3D video card

*\t700 MB HD space

*\t4X CD-ROM drive

<hr></blockquote>

The graphics requirements on this are a little steep. I only have the 8 MB ATI card in my PowerBook G3, and according to this, the current iBooks won't even run this game!

I'm very disappointed by this news, especially since it only takes 8 MB VRAM on PCs. In fact, the game's minimum requirements on the PC are all 'lower' than or 'equal' to the Mac requirements. 400 MHz P3 vs. 400 MHz G3, etc.

If it doesn't work on my PowerBook (like Wolfenstein isn't supposed to), I'll be upset. Bad news indeed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Games from Blizzard always run well, I bet if you turn down the quality to low, set it at 640x480, you'll be fine.

On a unrelated note, Fran. If you would like to play Wolfenstein, just try the cocoa MP Test2 and see how it runs. The final version, although carbon has analogous frame rates to the cocoa demo.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    soulcrushersoulcrusher Posts: 587member
    They should not have bothered making it OS 9 compatible. They should have made it a Cocoa app and optimized it for OS X.

Every computer that can run Warcraft III (with the specs you mentioned before) can run OS X, then why an give support to a dead OS?

Anyways, I am pretty excited about this game and I already pre-ordered, I can't wait for it to be realeased.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I'm really hoping it works.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by soulcrusher:

<strong>

Every computer that can run Warcraft III (with the specs you mentioned before) can run OS X, then why an give support to a dead OS?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

When dealing with the relatively small mac market, its best to try and sell as many copies as possible.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Uhhh. This better be able to work in some way (limited, or "unsupported" or whatever) on my iBook 500 (will be 600). I am starting to really frikkin' hate my POS Rage 128 Mobility 8mb. This is not letting me use Jaguar, now all these games. ($#(#@*&5!

Oh, and why "waste" effort on OS 9? Because until this Fall or later, knowing Apple, OS X is crap. It is simply too slow, on my iBook 500. ESCAPE VELOCITY NOVA ---skips--- on my iBook in X (smooth in 9). Now come on, this game has requirements whatsoever. OS X is a joke for games, at least on G3's, and I here it can't beat 9 on other systems too. 9 is just faster, and for games, why use X? And, considering only 1 million out of 25(!) million Mac users have switched to X (1.5 by years' end) , they probably put more effort into the 9 version. Gawd, I can't wait for Jaguar to fix OS X!