Safari also works on Windows 2000

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
...even when Apple's website says XP/Vista. I just installed it on my work laptop and does fine on Win2K.

Just throught I'd let everybody know. (Sorry if this was already posted someplace else on these boards)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Good to know.

any one tried, Windows 2000/2003 server edition? any one?

i think windows XP is the largest install base, so they covered only XP and Vista (which is replacing it slowly ...)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Most things that run on XP will run on 2000 SP4. XP is essentially a glorified version of 2000.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    So Safari 3 for Mac only supports a version of OS X that was released 3 months ago but the Windows version supports systems released over 7 years ago. Thank you Apple for your support.

I'm going to have to boot into Windows again to try it out until they fix their graphics drivers in 10.4.9, if they ever do of course. Honestly, I should just switch to Windows - I had to use Windows when Adobe didn't update their software for the intel switch (and CS3 apps still don't launch that quickly like the rest of OS X software), I had to use Windows for all my games, now I have to use Windows for the latest browser from Apple. Give me a f*cking break.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    drumbug1drumbug1 Posts: 155member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

now I have to use Windows for the latest browser from Apple. Give me a f*cking break.

Whoa there partner! I can understand your frustrations with the adobe software and the intel switch.

But this browser thing - give *me* a break. It's BETA. You're complaining about your other software not working or being slow etc - it doesn't sound to me like you want to install BETA software (did I mention it was BETA? - this means it *WILL* have problems).

If Safari 2 doesn't do something you need - use something else that does for now. I'm sure the issue holding you back from 10.4.9 will be resolved soon enough (assuming it's not some other problem with your system... have you submitted bugs or contacted Apple regarding this problem?

....either way: using curse words on a public forum and 'threatening' to switch to Windows over this is silly...

• Reply 5 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drumbug1 View Post

Whoa there partner! I can understand your frustrations with the adobe software and the intel switch.

Not just that, the whole experience. I've been waiting and waiting for performance improvements in OS X and they just aren't coming quickly enough.

Quote:

But this browser thing - give *me* a break. It's BETA. You're complaining about your other software not working or being slow etc - it doesn't sound to me like you want to install BETA software (did I mention it was BETA? - this means it *WILL* have problems).

It's beta on Windows too but they get the privilege of being able to use it on practically any of their systems whereas every Mac user needs the absolute latest system and updates. It's a complete joke. Since when did latest software equate to latest system? It obviously doesn't if they can put it on ancient Windows systems. Is it any wonder they can say that so much of their user-base is on Panther or Tiger? There's little choice yet they say it like it's their achievement. The systems before 10.3 were barely usable and new software forces the latest updates on people.

Quote:

If Safari 2 doesn't do something you need - use something else that does for now.

I don't have a problem with Safari 2 but it would be nice to get the opportunity to try out the new features of version 3 e.g speed and tab rearrangement without having to install broken system updates when people who don't even give a damn about Apple enough to buy their products get to use it without these issues.

Quote:

I'm sure the issue holding you back from 10.4.9 will be resolved soon enough (assuming it's not some other problem with your system... have you submitted bugs or contacted Apple regarding this problem?

By soon you mean sooner than the 3 months it's been already? I haven't submitted a bug but I will do right now. Judging by how long it took them to fix the nvidia drivers before, my hopes aren't high.

Quote:

....either way: using curse words on a public forum and 'threatening' to switch to Windows over this is silly...

Ficking is not a curse word. Second, I'm not threatening to switch to Windows because who would I be threatening, I'm just saying that Apple's behaviour is making me consider it more and more and I know I'm not alone. Between the keynote, the Macworld thing, the Intel switch issues, no hardware updates, the current state of OS X, having to wait until October for Leopard, seeing the state of leopard, the GMA chips, their silly mouse designs, their silly big-chin iMacs they're pushing me real good in the wrong direction.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

So Safari 3 for Mac only supports a version of OS X that was released 3 months ago but the Windows version supports systems released over 7 years ago. Thank you Apple for your support.

I'm going to have to boot into Windows again to try it out until they fix their graphics drivers in 10.4.9, if they ever do of course. Honestly, I should just switch to Windows - I had to use Windows when Adobe didn't update their software for the intel switch (and CS3 apps still don't launch that quickly like the rest of OS X software), I had to use Windows for all my games, now I have to use Windows for the latest browser from Apple. Give me a f*cking break.

Meh, I disagree with your conclusions, but I sympathize completely. More Mac users UPGRADe their computers and OS due to lack of legacy support. Most Mac apps lately do not support Panther, and because I have a G4, I don't want Tiger, I just want a new Leopard machine. --So, I'm left out in the cold by many a developer... including the biggest of them all... Apple.

Bleh. But I'll keep truckin'. Windows is a hellhole from which I hope to soon escape. My Mac, even at 400 mHz can run 10x as many apps simulataneously without breaking a sweat and having its GUI start to break due to lack of memory (and my PC has twice as much). Calgon, Calgon...

~ Cleverboy