iPhone at 6p.m. local time; Leopard pre-sale; Safari for Windows

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The confusion over precisely when iPhone will be made available for sale on June 29th appears to be over. Meanwhile, the Internet's largest reseller has initiated pre-sales for Apple's next-gen OS just as the first update to Safari for windows hits the web.

6:00 p.m. local time for iPhone

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs announced earlier this week that iPhone would go on sale at "6:00 p.m." on June 29th. However, the statement did not specify a time zone, causing some confusion amongst those eager to be among the first to adopt the device.

However, AT&T has since issued a memo on the matter, notes MacRumors, pinning the release for 6:00 p.m. local time. That means folks on the East Coast will have the pleasure of claiming bragging rights for about three hours.

"The iPhone will go on sale on at AT&T retail stores June 29 at 6 p.m. local time in each market," the memo said.

Leopard pre-sale

Meanwhile, online retailer Amazon.com has kicked off its pre-sale of Mac OS X Leopard, allowing customers to reserve their copy of the next-generation Apple operating system ahead of its October release.

The offering may not last long, however, as Apple in 2005 asked Amazon to discontinue its early sale of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Amazon lists Mac OS X Leopard for $129, Apple's suggested retail price, but could offer rebates on the software closer to availability. With the release of Tiger, the retailer posted a $35 mail-in-rebate, reducing the cost of the OS upgrade to about $94.

The pre-sale page notes: "Order now and if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and release date, you'll receive the lowest price."

Safari for Windows 3.0.1

On Wednesday, Apple released Safari for Windows version 3.0.1, which patched a trio of vulnerabilities discovered in the beta version of the browser released on Monday.

Specifically, version 3.0.1 addresses shortcomings that could lead to cross-site scripting

exploits, arbitrary code execution, or unexpected application termination.

The update is available through Apple's Safari site or via the "Apple Software Update" application, which is installed with the most recent version of QuickTime or iTunes on Windows.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Pretty damn fast response - Good job.

Betas work
  • Reply 2 of 33
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    How can it be 3.0.1 when it is a beta?! Surely it should be beta 2!

Still, good to see Apple reacting quickly to bug reports. A few days longer before release would have saved a lot of bad press though.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The update is available through Apple's Safari site or via the "Apple Software Update" application, which is installed with the most recent version of QuickTime or iTunes on Windows.

My Apple Software Update on XP says my software is up to date.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Yes! Living on the East coast has some advantages!

I'm hoping that the section of eastern Tennessee where I reside will be full of people who don't care enough to stand in line at the local cingular store to see the device. I just want to play with the thing, try out the keyboard, etc. I can't afford it yet.

If there's crowds and crowds lining up to see and/or buy this device, it seems that the stores will need to have multiple devices set up on display to play with.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    What's the word on iPhone availability in Apple's online store? Fri evening order, Monday delivery? And, I assume one would have to take it to a local Cingular store to get it activated? Will wi-fi, iPod etc work, in the meantime?

I REALLY wish Apple would start to provide some clarity on these issues! (It is getting to be quite irritating, having to do make inferences like an oracle-of-delphi thing, from the various Apple fansites.......)
  • Reply 6 of 33
    amodaamoda Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Leopard pre-sale

On Wednesday, Apple released Safari for Windows version 3.0.1, which patched a trio of vulnerabilities discovered in the beta version of the browser released on Monday.

Specifically, version 3.0.1 addresses shortcomings that could lead to cross-site scripting

exploits, arbitrary code execution, or unexpected application termination.

Don't you mean "Safari Update" instead of a second "Leopard pre-sale"?
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What's the word on iPhone availability in Apple's online store? Fri evening order, Monday delivery? And, I assume one would have to take it to a local Cingular store to get it activated? Will wi-fi, iPod etc work, in the meantime?

I REALLY wish Apple would start to provide some clarity on these issues! (It is getting to be quite irritating, having to do make inferences like an oracle-of-delphi thing, from the various Apple fansites.......)

I asked an online Magic Eight Ball your questions and here are the answers I received:

Q) What's the word on iPhone availability in Apple's online store?

A) Absolutely!

Q) Fri evening order, Monday delivery?

A) Ask again later

Q) And, I assume one would have to take it to a local Cingular store to get it activated?

A) Definitely

Q) Will wi-fi, iPod etc work, in the meantime?

A) Absolutely!

I hope that clears everything up for you. Sorry, I couldn't find an Oracle of Delphi (summer vacations and all).

If you need any more questions answered, visit the Magic Eight Ball (just fyi, this is NOT my website, just one I googled).
  • Reply 8 of 33
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G_Warren View Post

How can it be 3.0.1 when it is a beta?! Surely it should be beta 2!

Still, good to see Apple reacting quickly to bug reports. A few days longer before release would have saved a lot of bad press though.

When I installed Safari for Win, it said version 3.5.22.12 or some such, I can't remember as it refuses to launch and I uninstalled it.

It wasn't 3.01 though.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    socokidsocokid Posts: 15member
    Hmmm. Wonder what else they might find...
  • Reply 10 of 33
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

When I installed Safari for Win, it said version 3.5.22.12 or some such, I can't remember as it refuses to launch and I uninstalled it.

It wasn't 3.01 though.

What I see is 3.0 (522.11.3).
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Why would you need to take the phone in to get activated? just pop in a 3G SIM Card and you should be all good no?

I have 4 Phones I switch between just by swapping SIMS (yes I am on Cingular, now the new AT&T)
  • Reply 12 of 33
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What I see is 3.0 (522.11.3).

That makes much more sense than the 3.0.1 which this article reports. Does Apple actually call it 3.0.1 anywhere?
  • Reply 13 of 33
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

That makes much more sense than the 3.0.1 which this article reports. Does Apple actually call it 3.0.1 anywhere?

Sorry, that was apparently the old version. Apple doesn't say that there is a new update that I can fin. The Software Update program didn't show an update on either platform. I just re-downloaded it and installed the new file.

The version is now 3.0 (522.12.2).
  • Reply 14 of 33
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amoda View Post

Don't you mean "Safari Update" instead of a second "Leopard pre-sale"?

There's always some sort of writing error in their reports. They just don't care to create a reputable site by reviewing the basics, such as grammar.

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 15 of 33
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

From http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downl...5.English.dist :

Quote:

// From Localiazable.strings

"SU_TITLE" = "Safari for Windows";

"SU_VERS" = "3.0.1";

• Reply 16 of 33
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

I asked an online Magic Eight Ball your questions and here are the answers I received:

Come on, people. An online magic eight-ball? Get a real one for goodness sakes! And keep it on your desk. I use it to make all the key decisions at work. Its esp. good when you've got five people with five different opinions on something.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stalkerdeapplenut View Post

Why would you need to take the phone in to get activated? just pop in a 3G SIM Card and you should be all good no?

I have 4 Phones I switch between just by swapping SIMS (yes I am on Cingular, now the new AT&T)

That's nice for all your other phones. Can you do this with an iPhone? Will an iPhone even take a SIM card? Can you put in any SIM card you want? Does the iPhone verify your account associated to the SIM card with your phone account to make sure you're only using the iPhone with your Cingular plan?

Cingular has an exclusive deal for the phone, so you need to sign up for a plan when you get it. There's no "I've got cards, let me just buy the phone!", because if you could do that, then we wouldn't need cingular at all, would we?
  • Reply 18 of 33
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Sorry, that was apparently the old version. Apple doesn't say that there is a new update that I can fin. The Software Update program didn't show an update on either platform. I just re-downloaded it and installed the new file.

The version is now 3.0 (522.12.2).

Came up in Apple Software Update in windows. Clicked install - All done.

Running XPSP2.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    halo1982halo1982 Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

That's nice for all your other phones. Can you do this with an iPhone? Will an iPhone even take a SIM card? Can you put in any SIM card you want? Does the iPhone verify your account associated to the SIM card with your phone account to make sure you're only using the iPhone with your Cingular plan?

Cingular has an exclusive deal for the phone, so you need to sign up for a plan when you get it. There's no "I've got cards, let me just buy the phone!", because if you could do that, then we wouldn't need cingular at all, would we?

You don't quite understand how GSM works, do you...

Yes, the iPhone takes SIM cards. Yes you can put in any card you want. It may not work, however...=P

It is almost certainly locked to Cingular, so when you put a SIM card in, if it's not a Cingular (or AT&T or whatever it's called now) SIM card it'll tell you no dice. Perhaps it does need a special iPhone SIM card, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of SIM cards in the first place..
  • Reply 20 of 33
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I feel like Apple/AT&T are holding out until the last possible second to release full details of the iPhone- for what reason? It's not like someone is going to copy them this close to release.

We still need to know some major details like

1. Can you get it without a data plan?

2. If it requires a data plan, how much are they? Are they going to require unlimited?

3. If you're porting your number over from another carrier, can you just walk into an Apple store and sign up for a plan and port your number?

4. Will .mac get push email?

5. How many are they going to have on launch night?

6. What accessories come with it?

7. Can you get applecare?

8. What about existing At&t customers in a contract? Will they be able to get the phone on day one? Is it going to be more expensive if you're in a contract already?

9. How much is the bluetooth accessory going to cost?

10. Can you listen to the iPod portion thru the built in speaker?

11. Can you use iTunes songs as ringtones?

More?