Safari for Windows downloads Top 1 million

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
More than 1 million copies of Apple Inc.'s Safari web browser for Windows were downloaded in its first two days of availability, the company said Thursday.

Earlier this week, Apple used its annual developers conference to introduce the Windows browser, a first for the Cupertino-based firm. It touted speed gains in excess of 200 percent when compared to Internet Explorer (IE), the flagship browser of long-time rival Microsoft.

Apple claims Safari 3 is the fastest browser running on Windows, rendering web pages up to twice as fast as IE 7 and up to 1.6 times faster than Firefox 2, based on the industry standard iBench tests.

The software has been available as a pre-release beta for Windows XP and Vista since Monday. Once downloaded, users will receive updates delivered through a Software Update mechanism. Apple issued the first such update on Wednesday, fixing "some early reported bugs."

Safari 3 for Windows requires Windows XP or Windows Vista, a minimum of 256 MB of memory and a system with at least a 500 MHz Intel Pentium processor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I was probably download 546,730

I must say my stability hasn't been bad on my work laptop. I'm guessing that I'm a member of the "lucky" crew. On my Mac I find the Beta of S3 to be less beachball prone than S2. I'm nothing but pleased.

Hopefully Apple has some future tricks to keep the download counter moving briskly. I like the "merge windows" feature for those errant sites that pop up in a new window when clicked.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Poor people who are downloading it and have issues. Most people don't understand that beta does not equivocate to stable.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EruIthildur View Post

Poor people who are downloading it and have issues. Most people don't understand that beta does not equivocate to stable.

By God, poor people always seem to get the short end of the stick, don't they?
  • Reply 4 of 37
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    It's windows. They are used to unstable systems.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

I am using it at work currently (formerly using Firefox), and I must say I haven?t have any major issues thus far. A few annoyances (like lack of spell check), but that is to be expected in a "beta". However, I?ll probably have to switch back to Firefox, because of the IE Tabs extension. If someone could incorporate this into a Safari plugin for windows (so I can access certain corporate websites, and our application for testing), I would be a permanent Safari user.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

I am using it at work currently (formerly using Firefox), and I must say I haven?t have any major issues thus far. A few annoyances (like lack of spell check), but that is to be expected in a "beta". However, I?ll probably have to switch back to Firefox, because of the IE Tabs extension. If someone could incorporate this into a Safari plugin for windows (so I can access certain corporate websites, and our application for testing), I would be a permanent Safari user.

do you notice it being that much faster?
  • Reply 7 of 37
    dmwogandmwogan Posts: 36member
    I think its fast. It seems faster than anything else I've used recently, including Safari on OS X. Is anyone else slightly disturbed by all of the improvements in windows programs made by apple, but less for the os x side of things? It seems a lot of attention is going to wooing windows users, I hope enough is given to making sure os x is still good..

it seems like there is a convergence btw windows and os x..at least aesthetically.

how about a decent paint program in os x, and half decent keyboard nav?
  • Reply 8 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

By God, poor people always seem to get the short end of the stick, don't they?

They do, why? They are stupid, but I still feel sorry for them. And me when they complain about their issues to me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

Good point.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmwogan View Post

Is anyone else slightly disturbed by all of the improvements in windows programs made by apple, but less for the os x side of things? It seems a lot of attention is going to wooing windows users, I hope enough is given to making sure os x is still good..

Yes, I'm glad other people are seeing this too. It's really irritating me.

Quote:

Again I agree and how about a decent word processor?
  • Reply 10 of 37
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:

I think its fast. It seems faster than anything else I've used recently, including Safari on OS X. Is anyone else slightly disturbed by all of the improvements in windows programs made by apple, but less for the os x side of things? It seems a lot of attention is going to wooing windows users, I hope enough is given to making sure os x is still good..

it seems like there is a convergence btw windows and os x..at least aesthetically.

I agree with the inconsistent keyboard navigation (in dialog boxes). iTunes is particular annoyance for me. I *really* want to see this addressed, and hope that Leopard puts this issue to bed.

I don't agree that Apple is focusing more on their Windows apps than Mac apps. That's plainly unfounded. If you follow the development of the WebKit.org project (the engine in Safari), they work on both platforms equally. Updates for their apps tend to come out simultaneously for Mac and Windows, as well.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    delfoniqdelfoniq Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple claims Safari 3 is the fastest browser running on Windows, rendering web pages up to twice as fast as IE 7 and up to 1.6 times faster than Firefox 2, based on the industry standard iBench tests.

I use it too and the rumors' true, it's really fast, still has a few bugs though. Wooing XP users like that is a cool strategy by Apple. Nice also coming up fast with a new release that supposedly will rectify safety flaws. IE 7 is like web browsing with a tool from stone age compared to Safari .
  • Reply 12 of 37
    It is BLAZING fast. Whenever I open up a popular Digg page (commented all to Hell) both Microsoft IE and Firefox choke. Firefox is somewhat better, but not much. Safari swallows it whole, and keeps on truckin'. This is almost immediately my favorite new browser on Windows. I'll probably never open IE again. I'll use Firefox with IE tab and Safari. Someone really needs to write up all the great Safari features. They're mostly hidden... which makes it feel so clean.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

Is there no spell check in the Windows version? The 3.0 for mac now has spell check within web forms which is new and pretty convenient. Maybe it's because Windows doesn't have system wide spell check service so the program would have to include its own dictionaries to have spell check? Do IE and firefox have spell check?

Windows has resizable forms, right?
  • Reply 14 of 37
    jasongjasong Posts: 31member
    Spell check in forms isn't new, it just apparently wasn't on by default before.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    speaking of,

did AI and all the rest of the rumor sites miss Safari for windows ? They are slackin on their pimpin.

• Reply 16 of 37
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Of course that 1 million is probably mostly people running BootCamp and Windows on their Mac...
  • Reply 17 of 37
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Of course that 1 million is probably mostly people running BootCamp and Windows on their Mac...

Or probably 500,000 downloading the beta, then another 500,000 downloading the first patch.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasong View Post

Spell check in forms isn't new, it just apparently wasn't on by default before.

I don't see a preference for it anywhere. How do you turn it on and off?

EDIT: Never mind, I see it in the Edit menu...
  • Reply 19 of 37
    I wish we'd get back to why poor people are stupid? Because they use Windows? Safari for Windows?

Now I'll be up all night trying to figure it out. And I'm not even poor.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I wish we'd get back to why poor people are stupid? Because they use Windows? Safari for Windows?

Now I'll be up all night trying to figure it out. And I'm not even poor.

Oh I see now.