LED v LCD Screen

ssssss
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, I know the new 15" MCP has this new LED backlit screen rather than the new 17" version with the usual LCD lit screen.

What is the difference and which is better?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSS View Post

Ok, I know the new 15" MCP has this new LED backlit screen rather than the new 17" version with the usual LCD lit screen.

What is the difference and which is better?

I had the same question, and people were happy to oblige me. Here's the link to my post

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=75087
  • Reply 2 of 42
    ssssss Posts: 30member
    Cheers mate.

But the glossy MBP hi-res screen is so good, is the 15" LED really better??
  • Reply 3 of 42
    the general feeling is led is more evenly lit and brighter, and lcd may dim over its lifetime - which led doesn't
  • Reply 4 of 42
    auslanderauslander Posts: 183member
    I got my 15" MBP a couple of days ago, and the screen is way brighter and more evenly lit than my old Powerbook. In order to get the screens to about the same brightness, I had to reduce the MBP screen brightness by 6 notches. It's also a different colour - more of a white-yellowish tint compared to the PB which was more pinkish-red.

It's also just a tiny bit faster than the PB

• Reply 5 of 42
    drazztikkadrazztikka Posts: 240member
    Can u get the color right with colorsync utility?

Or is there definately a tint?
  • Reply 6 of 42
    auslanderauslander Posts: 183member
    I haven't tried - I'm sure you can though. What I mean by "tint" is really the predominant colour when the screens were next to each other. The MBP was more yellowish, compared to the PB which was more pinkish-mauve I suppose.

If I was only looking at one or the other my eyes get used to that screen just fine - this is more apparent when they are sitting next to each other, like in a television showroom where some screens are more blue, others more red etc.

I work in music, so the screen colour isn't an issue at all for me, just as long as it looks fine, and the MBP looks amazing! It's so bright I have to turn it down though - I'm just not used to that amount of light from a laptop.

Hopefully this helps.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auslander View Post

What I mean by "tint" is really the predominant colour when the screens were next to each other. The MBP was more yellowish, compared to the PB which was more pinkish-mauve I suppose.

Indeed.

• Reply 8 of 42
    ssssss Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AISI View Post

Indeed.

After looking at all those photos of comparisons I think I prefer the normal Macbook Pro.......

Anyone else agree? LED looks too yellow or sepic-ish.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

Whoa, I'd be thinking about returning a machine that looked like that. That's terrible.

How can anyone be expected to do work with anything like photo or movie correction with a screen like that?

I wonder if color profile adjustment would help or if it's just the nature of LED screens.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:

Indeed.

could this just be a defect, or is this on all of them? Anybody check them out at an apple store and compare?
  • Reply 11 of 42
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSS View Post

LED looks too yellow or sepic-ish.

They're different but maybe the other one is just as bad, only blue-ish.

I'd like to see a side by side comparison with a Cinema Display.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    This is what ColorSync is for. Easy fix. Every LCD I've ever had, I've always tweaked it, even if it looked fine right away. I can always find something better.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    drazztikkadrazztikka Posts: 240member
    Yep colorsync is the solution i guess.

It looks to me that the led screen has more contrast, or the old screen is a bit more transparent.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    The situation is not clear yet. See my posts in the other thread here.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Does anyone know if there are any large monitors available on the market with LED backlighting, say about 20"?
  • Reply 16 of 42
    It is amazing the amount of twisted information kicking around out there. Considering what I've just read in this post I thought a quick couple of comments would be in order.

1) LED vs LCD backlighting: Apparently a lot of people are thinking that the actual display is either an LED display or an LCD display. The actuality is that both displays are LCD, but they have different backlights. The backlights on the 15" MBPs are now LED whereas the 17" and the MBs are still the old CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamps). The advantages to LED backlighting are 1) Less energy usage. 2) More even lighting. 3) They have a phenomenally long life. 4) They don't get dim with age.

And onto the next issue.

There is a posting on this thread showing two different monitors, one with the LED backlighting and one with the old CCFL backlighting. The pictures show what appears to be a difference in tint between the two models with the LED unit having a more pronounced yellow tint. By the way this has surfaced on numerous other forums as well.

The reality is that, yes, as shipped the LED unit has the slight yellowish tint, however that is merely the result of the default colour profile that Apple has set the machine at from the factory. If you want to change that default then you simply go into System Preferences, click on Displays,

click on the Colour tab, then click on Calibrate, and simply follow the instructions to create your own custom colour profile. Very simple.

Hope this helps

Sopranino
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sopranino View Post

...still the old CCFL (Cold Core Florescent Light)....

Its 'cold cathode fluorescent lamps' (CCFL) so you are wrong there matey.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

Its 'cold cathode fluorescent lamps' (CCFL) so you are wrong there matey.

Oops, you're right, however that doesn't alter what I was saying. Thanks for the correction
  • Reply 19 of 42
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sopranino View Post

The reality is that, yes, as shipped the LED unit has the slight yellowish tint, however that is merely the result of the default colour profile that Apple has set the machine at from the factory. If you want to change that default then you simply go into System Preferences, click on Displays,

click on the Colour tab, then click on Calibrate, and simply follow the instructions to create your own custom colour profile. Very simple.

Hope this helps

From what people at Macbidouille say, this unfortunetaly does not helps. The problem is exactly that, it seems it is not a calibration issue (for those who have the problem anyway) and even specialized third party solutions are unable to provide a fix. As long as calibration does nothing to correct the problem (in the cases where there is one), no one can tell for sure what is going on here before many units are out there.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Interesting issue. I'll get my MbP on monday. I have to get the LED display, because I want the 2,4 ghz and the improved videocard. 17 inch is no option.(Too expensive)

I don't believe that the yellow-tint will be a big problem, because Apple won't use it when it's too bad. I don't think that apple only uses the LED displays for powersaving. Why should they?

I'll post my experiences here on monday... I am very curious about the results. I will ask the people in the Apple store for their experiences, and compare the screen with the screens of the normal Macbook.

P.s. excuse me for my bad english, I'm from the Netherlands...