Photoshop 7 working with text

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
well i just got my dual gig and 23" HDCD and i'm working on a project now in PS7 and i don't know if it's photoshops new text method or my monitor but i'll be dammed, i cannot get a good view of the text i'm kerning in photoshop! everytime i zoom in on the text, it appears all jagged, the book even says that's what will happen, but claims it will print ok.

doi need to use illustrator to do text now or do i need to get a new monitor? this 23" is also marketed to graphic designers like myself

confused....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    i should have mentioned this is a problem with working with small text 14pt or smaller

i'm thinking this is a photshop problem and that i should probly get illustrator (which i was going upgrade soon, but now maybe sooner) and import the text in

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: burningwheel ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 9
    edwinedwin Posts: 2member
    Have you tried adjusting the antialiasing settings (embedded within the Character palette at the bottom right)? Also, it could be your system font settings - do you use TinkerTool to alter the default font behaviors for OS X?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Edwin:

<strong>Have you tried adjusting the antialiasing settings (embedded within the Character palette at the bottom right)? Also, it could be your system font settings - do you use TinkerTool to alter the default font behaviors for OS X?</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah i did try to adjust the antialising..ended up leaving it on the default. what i ended up doing iit in like 60pt then reduced it. it seemed to wok ok, the text looks ok now. it seems i will have to upgrade illustrator 10 sooner than later

i'm new to os x so i had never heard of TinkerTool but i will check it out

thanks
  • Reply 4 of 9
    scott f.scott f. Posts: 276member
    Let's back up... I don't want to assume anything here...

First of all... what resolution is the document...? Is it 72 DPI or even lower...? If you're working in PRINT... the document should be at a higher resolution.

(sorry if I'm stating the obvious) But if you create 14pt type at 72DPI and create 14pt type at 300DPI... they will look RADICALLY different from each other. The 300DPI (obviously) yields more pixels per inch, thus it looks smoother.

72DPI is typically "Web" resolution. For print, I generally work at 300DPI and above (sometimes 150).

Hope this helped (?)
  • Reply 5 of 9
    [quote]

First of all... what resolution is the document...? Is it 72 DPI or even lower...? If you're working in PRINT... the document should be at a higher resolution.

[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

this is a for a website, so 72dpi. sorry i guess i should have stated that as well
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Well... 14pt type is not that large at 72 DPI. It's not just a PShop v7 issue... in ANY version, you will have a good amount of anti-aliasing artifacts at that size (depending on the font used, of course).

One trick that I use with PhotoShop and trying to create "clean" text at small sizes is t use the type pallette and go into decimal sizes... in other words... start at 14pt with the font you want to use... set the AntiAliasing to sharp... then nudge the size value in a direction that gives you better results in increments of .1 in the entry box. Ex. 13.9 then try 13.8 or 14.1 or 14.2... you get the idea. Some times you hit a nice "magical" number that looks nice & sharp.

One OTHER thing to try... in earlier versions of PShop, there was an inconsistency with the rendering of the text based on WHERE you clicked on the screen... if you clicked in the "middle" of a pixel... it would render different than if you clicked on the "edge" of a pixel... in other words... just like guides... the text-entry worked on the "sub-pixel" level... meaning you could have the SAME word... SAME font, SAME text, SAME document... anti-alias differently based on WHERE you clicked the screen.

My workaround was to use a square marquis... snap a guide on a horz. & vert. edge to create guides EXACTLY at pixel edges... then use the type tool at the intersection... thus the baseline of the text was rendering on a "flat" edge of the pixels' plane. (does that make sense?)

I cannot recall if they changed the behavior in v7.0 or not... thye "might" have the behavior set so that it snaps to a pixel's "edge" for consistency.... but I'm not sure.

Either way... I would expect 14pt type that has any serifs or italic nature to be heavilly anti-aliased in PShop of ANY version. Let me know if I'm still "missing the point" or if I'm off-base.

Thanx.

- Scott
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Scott ,

thanks for your tips. you're not off base. i will try to implement them

what monitor are you using?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by burningwheel:

<strong>Scott ,

thanks for your tips. you're not off base. i will try to implement them

what monitor are you using?</strong><hr></blockquote>

ummm I use 2 (two) 19" NEC FE950+ monitors... not top-of-the-line by any means, but not bad.

One last thing to mention, and it's VERY important:

When viewing ANYTHING in Photoshop... ALWAYS keep your view percentace as a multiple of 100. PERIOD!

If you zoom into a document using the magnifying glass tool to an arbitrary number (374%) or so... the system tries to "interpolate" the pixels. Too long a story to go into... but just use the keyboard commands for zooming in & out: Apple key and the "plus" or "minus" sign to zoom out or in. (actually, it's the "equals" sign, not the "plus", but that's splitting hairs)

When you view an image (or your text) at a percentage other than a multiple of 100, it will not be an accurate representation.

Side note: To zoom out, only use 50% or 25%... NOT 67%... you will see the difference here too.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    - One more thing -

(this may be obvious to most)

Creating text in PhotoShop and Illustrator are two different beasts. When you create the text "live" in PShop, it anti-aliases on-the-fly so you can see EXACTLY how it will print or export. When you create text in Illustrator... it remains in VECTOR format (resolution independant) until you rasterize (convert to pixels) the text. When you zoom-in on text in Illustrator, it will ALWAYS look smooth because it is a visual representation of mathematical curves & lines filled with color. If you zoom into it at 1600%, it will STILL look smooth... BUT... once you RASTERIZE the text (ex. 14pt type at 72 DPI) you will see the antialiasing of the edges for sure.