Salaries in Video (Editing, Film, etc..)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello,

Does anyone know what the average salaries are for people in video editing and such?

I'm trying to get an idea of what kind of a living a person can make in this industry.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O-Mac View Post

Hello,

Does anyone know what the average salaries are for people in video editing and such?

I'm trying to get an idea of what kind of a living a person can make in this industry.

Thanks

Varies wildly depending on location, type of show and your level of experience.

For instance, an experienced (read, "fast") Avid editor in LA can make a handsome living indeed, whereas a less experienced person in a small market cutting local ads might just be scraping by, if that.

The key differentiator is skill. If you're good you can get work where ever you are, and keeping the billable hours rolling in is the difference between making a living and having a hobby.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    My only suggestion is to make sure that you actually love what you do and have had an interest in televevision/video for a good amount of your life.

I see too many people get in the industry who just see it as a passing interest or think being in the media will make them rich and have a part in pop culture. They usually burn out because they really don't care about the details.

If you do what you have the most interest in and love then the money will come because it will keep you motivated to keep learning and advancing. Otherwise you might as well become a business major or an accountant, because you will make much more money doing that if your only interest is money.