OS X Audio Input

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm looking for software that will allow me to convert analog audio (LP's especially) into mp3, using the audio input of the new PBG4 using OS X.

I'd rather not have to run the signal through an amp, just source-direct.

All help or direction is highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I've used Soud Studio. You can get a 14-day trial at <a href="http://www.felttip.com."; target="_blank">www.felttip.com.</a> There are others - check Apple's OS X applications pages. But you have to amplify the record player.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    [quote]Originally posted by NoMoMetal:

<strong>

I'd rather not have to run the signal through an amp, just source-direct.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

This part is unclear. You mean you want to run a cable directly from the record player to the Mac?

Sorry if this is rehash for you but you will absolutely require something between the Mac and the phonograph. The signal from the phonograph is very low level and it has a specific frequency bias applied to it which needs to be removed. Phonograph inputs on home stereos take care of both.

Connect the phonograph to a stereo amplifier with PHONO inputs. Then connect the REC OUT jacks to the Mac. If your Mac doesn't have audio in then get a Griffin iMic (or any of a number of other USB input devices) to digitize the signal.

If you are willing to use OS 9 just for recording then I'd suggest getting Coaster (free) off Version Tracker. Among other things, it will automatically split up each albums separate tracks into separate files.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Don't touch Sound Studio in OS X. It has some serious bugs that can totally wreck audio files. I've been in contact with the author and he apparently can't figure out what's wrong!

I would recommend booting into OS 9 for audio work, as OS X is currently somewhere between a catastrophe and a disaster when it comes to audio input, particularly over USB.

If you do decide to risk it and use OS X, try out Amadeus (shareware) or SparkME (free.. actually not too bad, but with its own non-standard UI). Check VersionTracker.

I guess since you are not doing live recording, reliability isn't so important, but i would still stay away from SoundStudio (too bad.. it has a nice UI).

-robo
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jobesjobes Posts: 106member
    well if you want to got down the X route for capturing you've gotta coupla options...

you could use the free version of Spark ... it seems to do the trick ok on capture i've done via my mixer and iMic. and it's free which is always good

Peak DV is good if you've got access to Final Cut Pro 3 .. fairly robust and simple, but with limited pop and click removal if your vinyl has been 'well loved' over the years

Peak DV is also good as it's bundled withe Roxio's Toast & Jam for X ... this could be a good buy for you if you intend on converting a lot of your old vinyl ... Jam will allow you to do better crossfades and gain control over each track etc ...

However I am perfectly happy with the newly carbonised version of CDSpinDoctor with comes with Toast 5.1.3. or their website. This is very user friendly and simple to use.

Hope this is some help to you

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: jobes ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 6
    guitarblokeguitarbloke Posts: 125member
    SparkME is great for the price , and pretty zippy compared to the shareware sound recording apps.

On the other hand, there don't seem to be any free VST plugins around that work with OSX - has anyone seen a half-decent compressor or limiter about?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    scott f.scott f. Posts: 276member
    I finally broke-down and spent some money on a USB input box... the EDIROL UA-5. It takes Optical, XLR (x2), RCA and 1/4"(x2) inputs and RCA, Optical and USB outputs... phantom power on both XLR inputs and a host of other features... but most of all... it's OSX compatable.

<a href="http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ua5/ua5.html"; target="_blank">Edirol UA-5</a>

Before I got that, I (foolishly) let a CompUSA associate talk me into buying a USB headset mic because he ASSURED me I could use the Mic input. (Why didn't I trust my own knowledge?) Basically, the "mic" input is "powered"... so sending a direct signal from any of my analog sources was "overdriving" the signal and distorting it.

The UA-5 solved that issue, and will allow me to use it for "better" apps when they become available for OSX (or so I hope).