Scanner Drivers (or lack there of for OSX)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Has anyone else noticed that almost all scanners compatible with OSX work through this program called VueScanX? Now this is just my obviously biased opinion, but I'm not overly fond of this program. Sure, it's ok... but it doesn't have all of the capatibilities that my old one did and I've got to pay $45 to use it!

To me, if a company is going to be lazy enough to not update it's own drivers, the least that they could do is provide a third party solution to registered customers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    If Canon gets one more email from me about scanner drivers, I think they will send a hitman to eliminate me.

Luckily VueScan has started supporting my scanner so I havent bitched at em for a while

Bottom line is, yes, you ae totally right.

But you'll never hear the engineers propose that seeing that they would lose their jobs (would serve them right imo)

For me VueScan X is great! Has basically all I need and then some. Im just pissedoff that my buttons dont work on my scanner to take advantage of scan to file, to ocr, and mail...

damn them
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I really miss the OCR function... and I have to use their program... I can't jsut load the driver from photoshop... gosh... for a little more than twice what I've paid to make my old one work... I could have gotten a totally new scanner... the only problem being that I still need veiwscan to make either work!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    Yup ... still waiting for Umax drivers ... have a Powerlook 2100 XL sitting besides me that's useless in X ... anyday now would be nice Umax ...........
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    I don't know if this is of any interest to anyone here, but here's a snippet from one of the new Jaguar system files in a package named "Type1Scanner":

[code]<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist SYSTEM "file://localhost/System/Library/DTDs/PropertyList.dtd">

<plist version="0.9">

<dict>

\t<key>Epson Scanner</key>

\t...snip...

\t<key>Epson Perfection 2450 PHOTO</key>

\t...snip...

\t<key>Epson Perfection 1650 PHOTO</key>

\t...snip...

\t<key>Epson Perfection 1640SU</key>

\t...snip...

\t<key>Epson Perfection 1250 PHOTO</key>

\t...snip...</pre><hr></blockquote>

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 9
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Looks promising
  • Reply 6 of 9
    are there more or is it only epsons that are represented?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    I know that my Lexmark X83 is not supported natively. Fortunately though the drivers from Lexmark work fine (for the most part).
  • Reply 8 of 9
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    Regarding Epson

"Epson has released a scanner plug-in module for Adobe Photoshop 7.0 that works with its popular line of scanner products. The Mac OS X-native Epson Scanner Enabler has full scanning functionality and works with 'Perfection' and 'Expression' scanners. " -Macnn

<a href="http://www.epsondevelopers.com/macscan/photoshoposx_install.jsp"; target="_blank">http://www.epsondevelopers.com/macscan/photoshoposx_install.jsp</a>;
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Thanks for the info, but just so that you know we can't access your link because it's under epsondevelopers (of which we are not).

TO WRAP IT UP: If you're gonna get a new scanner, epson might be a god choice.