New .Mac features

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Ok, did I misunderstand some of the feed from the WWDC concerning .Mac - I understand that we can access other systems of ours from elsewhere in the world, but does that system need to be switched on and connected to the net at the time? Also, can .Mac now sync our iTunes, iPhoto libraries and even Home folder, or is that still too much to hope for?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    strawberrystrawberry Posts: 181member
    I like the new feature that the .Mac site is almost impossible to find on the redesigned apple.com site. (Click on Mac and scroll down to the bottom and in it's there amongst the tiny links.)

So much for the upgrade.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I thought the .mac webmail looks weird with the new headers and toolbars. I bet when .Mac gets overhauled there will be a new, matching look and feel... perhaps when Leopard ships and we start using the new Mail and other new .Mac features?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Also, you know they'll support push email to iPhone. If they offer it for yahoo and gmail I'd be pissed if my .mac mail didn't support it.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    rodneyrodney Posts: 5member
    @ mpw_amherst: I believe your Mac has to be swithced on and connected to the internet. What this service seems to do is 'remember' your Mac's IP address. You ask the service what your Mac's IP adress is when you want to cennect to it when you're somewhere else. No further info on whether they 'buffer' some of your data but as it was presented on WWDC non of your data passes through the .Mac service. All they do is make sure you can find your Mac. We do a very similar thing at iNuron if you're interested in this solution..

Rodney
  • Reply 5 of 10
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Will this really work? Routers and firewalls and such are the bane of this kind of thing. Has this .Mac service taken care of these issues?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodney View Post

@ mpw_amherst: I believe your Mac has to be swithced on and connected to the internet. What this service seems to do is 'remember' your Mac's IP address. You ask the service what your Mac's IP adress is when you want to cennect to it when you're somewhere else. No further info on whether they 'buffer' some of your data but as it was presented on WWDC non of your data passes through the .Mac service. All they do is make sure you can find your Mac. We do a very similar thing at iNuron if you're interested in this solution..

Rodney

ALTHOUGH, there are system preferences that although the computer to wake from sleep for network access, right? I can't say that I have ever gotten this feature to work, but could tie in somehow. . . .
  • Reply 7 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post

I like the new feature that the .Mac site is almost impossible to find on the redesigned apple.com site. (Click on Mac and scroll down to the bottom and in it's there amongst the tiny links.)

So much for the upgrade.

Yes, I'm surprised that has been more widely observed. Could lend some weight to the theory of a Google hook-up.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

You're welcome, I shall looked forward to getting ripped off again next year.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'm going to sign up to get ripped off so I'll be joining the illustrious .mac crew.