Any word on the 15" 7200rpm drive delay??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Has anyone found out anything about how much longer it may be?? The wait is killing me..........

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    wirwzdwirwzd Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g5gyrl View Post

Has anyone found out anything about how much longer it may be?? The wait is killing me..........

My guess would be 4-6 weeks from when it was ordered

JK, I am waiting for the same thing and it's killing me too.

Especially so, as my powerbook display decided to stop working a week before the release \
  • Reply 2 of 41
    g5gyrlg5gyrl Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirwzd View Post

My guess would be 4-6 weeks from when it was ordered

JK, I am waiting for the same thing and it's killing me too.

Especially so, as my powerbook display decided to stop working a week before the release \

At least I'm not alone in here!
  • Reply 3 of 41
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    I called up my local store to see if they had any with the 7200rpm and they told me no so I called up the big apple store and the guy told me they dont expect the wait to drop anytime soon. He said through the next 2 months we should expect 4-6 weeks shipping on the drive. So if your order is in all I can say is grit your teeth.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    I just placed an order for a MBP with the 7200 drive. Ship time jumped from June 15 to July 25. I hadn't actually noticed this before I placed the order. So when I saw it, my eyes popped out of my head. I had them redo the order with a stock MBP. Should be here next week.

I figure I'll work with the slower drive for a while, and maybe upgrade next winter/spring to a more spacious drive for same/less money. Hitachi's 7K200 (a 200GB 7200 HDD) is expected to be released to retail by summer's end for $250. (I figure give them a six month window and then it'll actually be available.) Meanwhile, I actually get to use my MBP, instead of just paying for it...
  • Reply 5 of 41
    I still don't get why the 17" ones are shipping though, unless the drives are different.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Just order one with 5400RPM and order the 7200RPM from OWC.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Quote:

I still don't get why the 17" ones are shipping though, unless the drives are different.

They probably reserved a percentage of drives for the 17" as to give the people that wanted the 17 a change at getting it soon.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCQ View Post

I just placed an order for a MBP with the 7200 drive. Ship time jumped from June 15 to July 25. I hadn't actually noticed this before I placed the order. So when I saw it, my eyes popped out of my head. I had them redo the order with a stock MBP. Should be here next week.

I figure I'll work with the slower drive for a while, and maybe upgrade next winter/spring to a more spacious drive for same/less money. Hitachi's 7K200 (a 200GB 7200 HDD) is expected to be released to retail by summer's end for $250. (I figure give them a six month window and then it'll actually be available.) Meanwhile, I actually get to use my MBP, instead of just paying for it...

Why would you have paid for it if it hasn't shipped? Any time I order from the Apple store, my credit card doesn't get billed until the order ships.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grover432 View Post

Why would you have paid for it if it hasn't shipped? Any time I order from the Apple store, my credit card doesn't get billed until the order ships.

Hmm. Didn't know that.

Point's the same though: I actually want to use it. I'm not one of those people that has endless reserves of cash. I only buy a computer when I need one.

If I really want the faster drive that badly, there are plenty of DIY ways to do it without waiting inordinately long times.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    I placed my order (for the 15"/2.4ghz/160HD7200rpm) through my academic department and the campus computer store says that it should be arriving next week (i.e., 7-10 business days from the day I ordered which was that Tuesday it was announced)... I'm hopeful, but I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    marshallmarshall Posts: 14member
    It's not just the 7200rpm ones any more. The apple store in Portland said they have no 15" MBP of any configuration, there are none at any other stores in Oregon, and there is no estimate as to when more might arrive.

• Reply 12 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marshall View Post

It's not just the 7200rpm ones any more. The apple store in Portland said they have no 15" MBP of any configuration, there are none at any other stores in Oregon, and there is no estimate as to when more might arrive.

Think Apple may be pulling LED MBPs to check them for that yellow tint problem maybe? The ones in their factories they can check as they go out, but for shipments going to the stores, it'd take a bit more time... wonder if that's the reason for that particular delay.

As for the HDs, I also ordered a 15" MBP and upgraded to the 7200 rpm. I called Apple earlier, and the guy I talked to said he hadn't heard anything about them possibly shipping sooner, and all I could do is either keep checking the status online or call them for the status.

Someone I remember mentioned they called Apple, as well, and that person said something like it was because of the high demand for the 7200 drive. Hard for me to believe. What I'm guessing is that it may have been a last-minute decision on Apple's part to offer this option for upgrades, and don't have the actual drives in hand at the production lines or wherever they put the new drives in yet. I see no other reason for no other option to push the wait to be that long.

I guess all we can do is hope it comes sooner.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    wirwzdwirwzd Posts: 5member
    Quote:

At least I'm not alone in here!

You are now

I just cancelled my online order.

Afer checking one out in an Apple store I'm getting a 17" HR w/7200 instead for the extra USB port (stupid Logic Pro dongle) and the extra screen resolution for working in Logic.

According to the apple store they are out of stock right now but will be carrying this configuration. (Good for me as I live in MA and store is in NH so I save on taxes plus they honor my employee discount I get through work for hardware purchases ).

At first I was afraid that the plugins would be hard to work with at that res, but after launching a few at the store and doing some web surfing, looking at docs, its still clear with the high pixel density.

Still an LED 17" would be nicer \
  • Reply 14 of 41
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    Ok so I finally took a deep breath and ordered my MBP with the 7200rpm HD. Mind as welll be happy and not curse myself everytime I use the machine for not getting it right?

Two things I want to point out. I went through the telesales because im on dial-up (yes I live in the boon docks, places in africa have faster internet than me) and asked the guy after having palced my order these next few questions,

Me: "Do the 17' MBPs use the same HD as the 15'? Speaking of size in all."

Him: "Yes they do"

Me: "Well how come its only a 3-5 buisness day shipping wait on the 17' with a 7200rpm drive option and 4-6 weeks on the 15?'"

Him: "Thst has to be a mistake online because it should be taking the same amount of time"

Me: " Are you sure they use the same HD size/model/make in all"

Him: "Im positive"

Me: "Any way you could speed my 4-6 weeks up to a 3-5 days like the 17' with the same option?"

Him: "No because the ship time is that long and its a mistake on the 17'"

Me: "I dont believe you"

Him: "So anything else I can do for you today?..."

Second does Apple normally screw up shipping? I live in maryland and my ipod set out from Conneticut this morning to arrive in Alaska this evening?!?!?! This is my first mac and first time buying from apple. If they ship my MBP to alaska after having me wait for 6 weeks, yeah there hell to pay!(although I dont know what country uses that currency)

Just some insight for those thinking about buying and not deciding on the HD option. Im just a little pissed that nobody there can tell me if the HD is the same in the 17'. Well I shouldnt say nobody, maybe Ill call another day to see if someone knows the difference between Vista and OS X (thats a joke).
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdmendoz View Post

I placed my order (for the 15"/2.4ghz/160HD7200rpm) through my academic department and the campus computer store says that it should be arriving next week (i.e., 7-10 business days from the day I ordered which was that Tuesday it was announced)... I'm hopeful, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Well, have you gotten any kind of sign of it shipping yet?? Has anyone? I know a couple of people say they can no longer cancel their order online, so that's a good sign, but I'd like to see more!
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Getting information on this out of Apple is downright impossible. Either they really do keep their employees completely in the dark, or their employees are as stupid as they seem. Or they train them to act stupid, but I've never gotten any kind of useful information out of them via chat, telephone, or in person about this.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:

I know a couple of people say they can no longer cancel their order online, so that's a good sign, but I'd like to see more!

Just checked my order, and add me to the list of people who can't cancel their MBP.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

Just checked my order, and add me to the list of people who can't cancel their MBP.

That's cool! And when did you order???
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:

That's cool! And when did you order???

I ordered on Monday, June 11, the day of the WWDC Keynote.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

I ordered on Monday, June 11, the day of the WWDC Keynote.

Hmm, I ordered on 6/8 and I could still cancel my order yesterday. As a matter of fact, I did just that and I picked up a stock machine at my Apple Store! I couldn't stand waiting any longer and I love my new machine!