Good program to burn dvd's on your Mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What do you recommend?

My buddy has some tv seasons on dvd, I want to burn them and then wipe it off of my hard drive

thx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
  • Reply 2 of 11
    is toast free?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by austintx05 View Post

is toast free?

Depends on how you obtain it.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Or Mac the Ripper and Popcorn
  • Reply 5 of 11
    so how can I obtain a free copy of toast?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by austintx05 View Post

so how can I obtain a free copy of toast?

By stealing it. Which is bad.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

By stealing it. Which is bad.

m'kay
  • Reply 8 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    You can use liquid cd, which is legally free:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28483

If you are talking commercial DVD movies, they are usually on double-layer discs so you either have to buy DL discs (makes sure you have a supporting burner), use a non-free requantizer (DVD2One) to bring it under 4.4GB, or split the movie in two parts (not recommended as you will lose chapters).
  • Reply 9 of 11
    If you look at the data content of a DVD (please note, I am a novice and have never ripped or burnt a DVD in my life) you usually find the movie recorded several times at about 1gb a time. This seems to be a complete version of the video and audio, usually with differing audio only for various languages and possible commentaries etc. A few other files tend to be small extras and then some menu and other bits'n'bobs. So, is it possible to choose the 1gb(ish) version you want and just burn that to a disc, perhaps with 4 other films to fill it up and not bother with unwanted content ??
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by corradoboy View Post

If you look at the data content of a DVD (please note, I am a novice and have never ripped or burnt a DVD in my life) you usually find the movie recorded several times at about 1gb a time. This seems to be a complete version of the video and audio, usually with differing audio only for various languages and possible commentaries etc. A few other files tend to be small extras and then some menu and other bits'n'bobs. So, is it possible to choose the 1gb(ish) version you want and just burn that to a disc, perhaps with 4 other films to fill it up and not bother with unwanted content ??

That idea is just asking for problems if you want to watch the DVD on a DVD player and not your computer.

You have two choices for the Mac to compress down an 8 gig DVD and have it work with 4.7gig DVDs and on DVD players...

http://www.dvd2one.com/

http://www.fastdvdcopy.com/

Fast DVD copy is the easiest way because it rips, compresses, and burns in the same program... but you also have to pay for it...

But I've had problems with some discs with both programs.

I use my PC for copying DVDs because the programs available are much more reliable than those available for the mac. Sad but True.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by corradoboy View Post

They are not multiple versions of the same video. The UDF 1.02 filesystem has an inherent 1GB file size limitation:

http://www.osta.org/specs/pdf/udf102.pdf

(page 4 - maximum extent length 2^30)

It wouldn't make any sense to have a copy of the video for every language when the video doesn't change.