Mac Pro hard-drive question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a Mac Pro

Are there any Flash memory hard drives yet that (have been tested) and are usable in the Mac Pro?

Such as Samsung's new 32GB SSD (Solid State Drive). Built using NAND flash memory?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    m.o.s.tm.o.s.t Posts: 255member
    Anyone? Please??!!??!! LOL

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M.O.S.T View Post

I have a Mac Pro

Are there any Flash memory hard drives yet that (have been tested) and are usable in the Mac Pro?

Such as Samsung's new 32GB SSD (Solid State Drive). Built using NAND flash memory?

• Reply 2 of 7
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Can I ask why you're wanting to stick a flash drink in a macpro?

You're better off getting a regular hard drive unless you have some special need for a flash one...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tacojohn View Post

Can I ask why you're wanting to stick a flash drink in a macpro?

You're better off getting a regular hard drive unless you have some special need for a flash one...

Flash Drives are useful for swapping files from machine to machine. It's much easier to just pop something in your pocket and take it to the person or computer that needs it to give them something or get something, instead of having to carry it around and make sure that you have the proper cable.

I'm guessing Mac Pros will see a flash drive as any USB hard-drive. Just DO NOT get the hard drives with u3 "technology". Even if you wipe it clean with a u3 cleaner on a PC, they still seem to not get along with macs well and can sometimes cause them to crash.

If you want to be safe, by a flash drive that is on Apple.com's store.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wojciechowski View Post

Flash Drives are useful for swapping files from machine to machine. It's much easier to just pop something in your pocket and take it to the person or computer that needs it to give them something or get something, instead of having to carry it around and make sure that you have the proper cable.

I'm guessing Mac Pros will see a flash drive as any USB hard-drive. Just DO NOT get the hard drives with u3 "technology". Even if you wipe it clean with a u3 cleaner on a PC, they still seem to not get along with macs well and can sometimes cause them to crash.

If you want to be safe, by a flash drive that is on Apple.com's store.

I don't think he's talking about a flash drive, aka thumb drive. I think he's talking about a flash based hard drive

Any USB flash drive will work just fine in both mac and pc.

A flash based hard drive would only really be useful in notebooks because they draw less power than regular disk based hard drive, but in a desktop when you're constantly connected to power, usage doesn't matter so go with a less expensive, higher capacity, faster performance disk based drive.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    tiptontipton Posts: 54member
    The following are the ones that I've found. Let me know if you've found any others.

Memtech

Bitmicro

Adtron
  • Reply 6 of 7
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tacojohn View Post

I don't think he's talking about a flash drive, aka thumb drive. I think he's talking about a flash based hard drive

Any USB flash drive will work just fine in both mac and pc.

A flash based hard drive would only really be useful in notebooks because they draw less power than regular disk based hard drive, but in a desktop when you're constantly connected to power, usage doesn't matter so go with a less expensive, higher capacity, faster performance disk based drive.

A hybrid flash/mechanical drive can boot and shut-down faster and the mechanical drive isn't running most of the time unlike a pure mechanical drive. This saves wear and tear on the drive whether it's a laptop or a desktop.

I just checked and there are pure flash drives with as much as 160 GB. Couldn't find prices. Probably expensive.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

A hybrid flash/mechanical drive can boot and shut-down faster and the mechanical drive isn't running most of the time unlike a pure mechanical drive. This saves wear and tear on the drive whether it's a laptop or a desktop.

I just checked and there are pure flash drives with as much as 160 GB. Couldn't find prices. Probably expensive.

HAHAHAHA- just checked on prices- a 61GB from the Mouser company is $14k for a 3.5" IDE drive...