What is the default iTunes CD import AAC file type, Is it Real or Quicktime?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I tried to view a Real Player movie file, only to be told I would have to install the latest Real Update.

As part of the install process I had to re-select extended multiple choice re-configurations of default media player settings (Windows/ Real/ Quicktime) for EVERY type of media file on every location on my computer.

During the process my attention wandered and when the install was over I went into my iTunes library directly (without opening iTunes) and and now all imported songs in my iTunes library play using Real.

I rarely access my iTunes library outwith the iTunes program so I cannot remember if the iTunes default is Real Player or Quicktime. Can anyone tell me if the iTunes default player is Real or Quicktime and If it is the latter, then how can I manually access my media file configurations and change it back to what it should be?

Also I recently got a new computer moved my iTunes library to it, authorised it and now all my iTunes store bought tracks have a padlock on them and when I click on them the iTunes Programme launches in order to play them, is this normal?

I was sure that when I clicked on them to play in my old computer they would just play without opening iTunes...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Apple makes both iTunes and Quicktime. You can figure it out from there.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calicomoonchild View Post

I tried to view a Real Player movie file, only to be told I would have to install the latest Real Update.

As part of the install process I had to re-select extended multiple choice re-configurations of default media player settings (Windows/ Real/ Quicktime) for EVERY type of media file on every location on my computer.

During the process my attention wandered and when the install was over I went into my iTunes library directly (without opening iTunes) and and now all imported songs in my iTunes library play using Real.

I rarely access my iTunes library outwith the iTunes program so I cannot remember if the iTunes default is Real Player or Quicktime. Can anyone tell me if the iTunes default player is Real or Quicktime and If it is the latter, then how can I manually access my media file configurations and change it back to what it should be?

Also I recently got a new computer moved my iTunes library to it, authorised it and now all my iTunes store bought tracks have a padlock on them and when I click on them the iTunes Programme launches in order to play them, is this normal?

I was sure that when I clicked on them to play in my old computer they would just play without opening iTunes...

The default player is iTunes itself.

To change the file association, highlight a music file (typically user/iTunes/iTunes music/your song) and hit "command (apple key) and "i" to bring up the info pane.

Towards the bottom of that is an "open with" drop down menu, which will allow you to point the file to iTunes.

Hit the "change all" button below that, and you're done. Since you are changing all files that are currently associated with Real to iTunes, that means that if you have any actual Real files about you will have to change them back manually.

Oh, and if you were using QuickTime to play your music files previously (which you can do, if you really want to, by using the above to change all to QT), then yes, they will open and play without iTunes, in a QT player.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

The default player is iTunes itself.

To change the file association, highlight a music file (typically user/iTunes/iTunes music/your song) and hit "command (apple key) and "i" to bring up the info pane.

Towards the bottom of that is an "open with" drop down menu, which will allow you to point the file to iTunes.

Hit the "change all" button below that, and you're done. Since you are changing all files that are currently associated with Real to iTunes, that means that if you have any actual Real files about you will have to change them back manually.

Oh, and if you were using QuickTime to play your music files previously (which you can do, if you really want to, by using the above to change all to QT), then yes, they will open and play without iTunes, in a QT player.

Thank you for being so concise with your response and for making something that could potentially have been so difficult to put right so simple, thanks again.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    You're quite welcome.