need help:how to play movie dvd on apple tv?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
i am a new apple tv user.

could anyone suggest me a nice way to play movie dvd on apple tv?

thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    There are plenty of programs that will rip DVDs into files that are supported by tv. Handbrake is just one of them.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    you need an apple tv converter,maybe.

have you tried mp4converter dvd to apple tv converter?

it is easy to use.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Why are there always these posts by new users asking question about ripping/converting DVDs, always answered by other new users recommending mp4converter? An admin should check the ip addresses - I'd give 100 to 1 that they're all the same person.

If this is a real question and not advertising, use Handbrake.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Why are there always these posts by new users asking question about ripping/converting DVDs, always answered by other new users recommending mp4converter? An admin should check the ip addresses - I'd give 100 to 1 that they're all the same person.

it looks that you are a nice man, i will try it.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    Does anyone know if it's possible to get the apple tv to play from a video_ts folder or disk image? I'd say the machine itself is probably fast enough to play a DVD movie... apple just hasn't bothered with this because of the legal implications.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flinch13 View Post

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the apple tv to play from a video_ts folder or disk image? I'd say the machine itself is probably fast enough to play a DVD movie... apple just hasn't bothered with this because of the legal implications.

I believe it's simple. Just open DVD Player and choose File/Open DVD Media. Navigate to the video_ts folder and press Enter. Then, be sure to press the "Play" button on the DVD Player control device (or the space bar).
  • Reply 7 of 14
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a-thinker View Post

I believe it's simple. Just open DVD Player and choose File/Open DVD Media. Navigate to the video_ts folder and press Enter. Then, be sure to press the "Play" button on the DVD Player control device (or the space bar).

Not from the DVD player application... I mean from the Apple TV itself.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Use Handbrake to convert the movie and import it into iTunes. You can either have iTunes sync it into the AppleTV or have the AppleTV stream from iTunes. Currently the unmodified AppleTV is unable to play DVDs or video_ts folders.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

its a pity that you suppose me to be a spammer.

i am just an mp4converter user.

so please be quite.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    So.... am I to understand that aTV will NOT access any video on my mac EXCEPT what is in iTunes ???

I mean, Front Row will play from the DVD drive, from my "Movies" folder, etc... it's not limited to iTunes. I guess I assumed aTV was merely an "external" version of Front Row. But it sounds like it must be a "crippled" Front Row box
  • Reply 11 of 14
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

So.... am I to understand that aTV will NOT access any video on my mac EXCEPT what is in iTunes ???

I mean, Front Row will play from the DVD drive, from my "Movies" folder, etc... it's not limited to iTunes. I guess I assumed aTV was merely an "external" version of Front Row. But it sounds like it must be a "crippled" Front Row box

You got it. The aTV is just another iPod that uses your TV as the screen and speaker.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    squall58squall58 Posts: 29member
    Handbrake? well, a free tool?BEWARE:some free dvd to apple converters(some one i used.not Handbrake) are usually a pain in the ass to use. My own point of view... but i feel like i am not the only one that wants to spend 5 hours figuring out the audio settings and everything? you can use mac apple dvd converter.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    cloud167cloud167 Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squall58 View Post

Handbrake? well, a free tool?BEWARE:some free dvd to apple converters(some one i used.not Handbrake) are usually a pain in the ass to use. My own point of view... but i feel like i am not the only one that wants to spend 5 hours figuring out the audio settings and everything? you can use mac apple dvd converter.

well, i konw xilisoft is good soft company,but for me, i think Handbrake is enough
  • Reply 14 of 14
    chen2chen2 Posts: 2member
    I use Handbrake too. It is very useful for me.