Is transferring large number of songs to the ipod bad?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm still in the process of getting everything situated on my new MBP (switch from windows pc), and I need some help. Is it bad to transfer 11+ gigs of music/podcasts/video to my ipod in one go? I have all my music in the Mac iTunes library, and I need to reformat my iPod (was windows format). Once it's reformatted, is it ok to sync my ipod and transfer everything at one time?

Also I'm having trouble recalling, once you sync your iPod, you can easily unsync and manage manually, right? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    You actually don't have to reformat your iPod. The file system that Windows formats it in is compatible with Macs. So unless you've already started the reformatting you really don't have to do anything.

To your question, no that is not bad to sync 11 GB of music/videos.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous View Post

You actually don't have to reformat your iPod. The file system that Windows formats it in is compatible with Macs. So unless you've already started the reformatting you really don't have to do anything.

you should be able to just plug it into your mac, and it'll ask if you want to sync it to this computer. and you say yes. and you can later set it to manual sync if you would like.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous View Post

If I'm not mistaken, in order to update the iPod on my Mac, I have to have it as Apple format. I know that I can manage songs and everything of that sort on both Mac and PC alike without reformatting. The advantages of formatting other than the update thing... I'm not sure. So... is there a way that I can update on my Mac without reformatting?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

you should be able to just plug it into your mac, and it'll ask if you want to sync it to this computer. and you say yes. and you can later set it to manual sync if you would like.

Okay, that's what I thought. Thanks!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    In case my question got lost in all the quoting I did...

Is there an advantage/disadvantage of formatting my iPod to Apple? It's going to be my main computer from this point on, so I figure I might as well.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    The only real disadvantage I can think of is if you want to use your iPod as a storage device for documents, maybe if you use public Windows computers from time to time. Windows can't read HFS+ formatted iPods.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Ah, ok. That makes sense. Thanks so much!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    You CAN keep it in Windows (FAT32) format (you have to format it on a PC/Windows) but I find that its EXTREMELY slow when you browse music, etc.

Also, when you mount it on a Mac, it takes quite a while (even up to a minute)

After a few months I was sick of it and reformatted it for Mac (it can be done in iTunes directly) and it became nice and fast again... but I lost the ability to be able to use it as an external Hard Drive on a PC

As for transferring large amounts at one time, its no problem. I've transferred my entire library (55GB) in one go multiple times
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZO View Post

You CAN keep it in Windows (FAT32) format (you have to format it on a PC/Windows) but I find that its EXTREMELY slow when you browse music, etc.

Also, when you mount it on a Mac, it takes quite a while (even up to a minute)

After a few months I was sick of it and reformatted it for Mac (it can be done in iTunes directly) and it became nice and fast again... but I lost the ability to be able to use it as an external Hard Drive on a PC

As for transferring large amounts at one time, its no problem. I've transferred my entire library (55GB) in one go multiple times

Alright, well that settles it. I don't think I've used my ipod as an external drive any more than a handful of times, so I might as well reformat. Thanks for the help