iPhone battery life, virtual keyboard concern early testers

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Though confident in Apple's iPhone strategy, financial experts at American Technology Research issued a report Monday that highlights some of the more prominent concerns facing early testers of the the multi-functional handset ahead of its release.

"There are about two weeks remaining before Apple launches its highly anticipated iPhone in both AT&T and Apple retail stores nationwide on June 29," analyst Shaw Wu wrote in the report. "While we remain very upbeat on iPhone's prospects and find the product revolutionary and landscape changing with its multi-touch interface, full page web browsing, widescreen video Pod, and tight integration with iTunes, we wanted to offer some balanced perspective and analysis."

Virtual Keyboard

For starters, Wu said he's picking up on some concern from beta testers and supply chain sources that the device's "virtual keyboard" technology may present early challenges for some users.

"On the positive side, using this design allows Apple to maximize its 3.5-inch screen and to limit clutter," he wrote. "However, customers who are accustomed to a physical keyboard may find typing on a screen to be less certain and accurate than on physical buttons and face a learning curve."

Still, the analyst said he's not overly concerned as he believes users will likely spend the majority of their time on navigation-type tasks, such as scrolling through menus and surfing the web. "We believe one overlooked advantage Apple may have over other smart phones is that when making calls, its virtual dialer has no extra clutter, and it is likely easier to dial unprogrammed phone numbers than on fixed QWERTY keyboards," he explained.

Battery Life

Another concern for early iPhone testers, Wu said, is battery life. Apple says iPhone will deliver up to eight hours of talk time (6 hours of Internet use, 7 hours of video playback or 24 hours of audio playback.) The company also claims the iPhone will feature up to 250 hours-more than 10 days-of standby time.

"We hope those times are accurate, but some of our sources have indicated iPhone's active use battery life may be closer to around 4-5 hours for heavy use, similar to other smart phones," the analyst told clients. "However, because an iPhone also serves as an iPod, unless Apple's claims on performance specs are accurate, 4-5 hours of video playback may not be enough for usage such as on international flights, and for phone use afterwards."

Wu said he'd like to see Apple move to a replaceable battery design at some point, similar to its MacBook and MacBook Pro product lines. "We believe this gives customers more flexibility and could even create a lucrative, aftermarket battery marketplace for Apple with its licensing partners," he wrote.

More photos of the iPhone's software and hardware

Corporate e-mail works

On a more refreshing note, the American Technology Analyst cited sources who say that iPhone is indeed compatible with corporate e-mail systems based on Microsoft Exchange. However, it will not be as robust as push technology offered by Research In Motion's BlackBerry.

"We believe this may deter usage among some corporate users; however, for consumer users, it is not likely an issue as iPhone works well with popular consumer e-mail systems from Yahoo! and Google," he told clients.

On the other hand, the analyst said, the iPhone's Safari web browser may offer an advantage over other smart phones. "Accessing corporate e-mail through 'Outlook Web Access' from Microsoft could prove to be a usable solution and eliminate the task of synching (web outlook has native access to Exchange and Outlook)," he wrote.

Wu, who maintains a buy rating on shares of Apple, reiterated his $145 price target on the Cupertino-based company, citing potential for additional upside to that target in the coming months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

""However, because an iPhone also serves as an iPod, unless Apple's claims on performance specs are accurate, 4-5 hours of video playback may not be enough for usage such as on international flights, and for phone use afterwards."

I'm fairly confident that Apple will release a Magsafe airline charger for iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

I'm fairly confident that Apple will release a Magsafe airline charger for iPhone.

I'd be even more confident that since iPhone has a 30-pin iPod connector, the airline adapter won't be mag safe.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    Yep, tons of ipod chargers out there that will work fine.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The improved battery life and glass screen are helping the stock jump today.

As for email, I think Safari is a great way for corporate users to access their Exchange accounts. An easily created app that can be built to look like the iPhone's UI while providing all the necessary Exchange info and interacting with the core iPhone components.

Quote:

How exactly is that going to work with the 30-pin connector?
  • Reply 5 of 61
    mibmib Posts: 2member
    he's picking up on some concern from beta testers

sure, the beta test program for the iPhone, who hasn't heard of it?

what a blowhard, I'm sure he is at least 6 degrees removed from anyone who has ever even seen an iPhone, let alone any 'concerned beta testers'. don't make me laugh.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    bderwestbderwest Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

I'd be even more confident that since iPhone has a 30-pin iPod connector, the airline adapter won't be mag safe.

Beat me..

Although, I don't think Apple (or any third party) makes a dock connector/airline charger...

But the yellowing Griffin iPod charger I have plugged eternally into my cigarette-lighter outlet will charge this puppy just fine. I've actually thought of taking an old dock and gluing it to my dashboard so I can see my iPod when I drive.

Seriously though, 5 hours of batt life, "analysts" go ape. 8 hours of batt life, "analysts" go ape. What do you people want?

"On the positive side, this design allows Apple to blarghty blah blah blah"
  • Reply 7 of 61
    Quote:

How many seats in airplanes have outlets for the Magsafe adapters?
  • Reply 8 of 61
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

The iPhone doesn't have MagSafe; it has the Dock connector. Same as the iPod. The answer to the question "how many seats in airplanes have a suitable power connector" is therefore: more than you might think.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

• Reply 10 of 61
    ak1808ak1808 Posts: 108member
    Virtual Keyboard:

95% of mobile phones today use a number pad to input text. iPhones keyboard will be a vast improvement for the vast majority of phone users.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Not everyone will prefer the typing method to what they've used before, but the thing is, iPhone typing doesn't have to be perfect, because tiny-button typing on other phones is pretty bad anyway! iPhone doesn't even have to be better than that. All it has to be is not SO much worse that the big touchscreen isn't worth it. I predict few people will find touchscreen typing to be so poor that they would give up that big screen.

The iPhone is different. It's advantages will be different from other phones. But they will be big.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Can the keyboard be used in landscape orientation?

Can the icons on the home screen be arranged alphabetically?
  • Reply 13 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Can the keyboard be used in landscape orientation?

Can the icons on the home screen be arranged alphabetically?

Good questions, yet still unknown.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

"Accessing corporate e-mail through 'Outlook Web Access' from Microsoft could prove to be a usable solution and eliminate the task of synching (web outlook has native access to Exchange and Outlook)," he wrote.

The problem with using Outlook Web Access on mobile devices is the small screen, which will require the user to do a lot of scrolling around. Microsoft Exchange server also has a feature called Outlook Mobile Access which is optimized for handhelds with smaller screens. But of course, it only works with Windows Mobile devices.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    Many long haul flights have power connectors in first class and some in business class. Riff-raff class barely have seats anymore.

Sorebum
  • Reply 16 of 61
    o_rlyo_rly Posts: 27member
    Apple could have eased concerns about the virtual keyboard with some sort of tactile response technology. Hope we see this in future iPhones.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

The problem with using Outlook Web Access on mobile devices is the small screen, which will require the user to do a lot of scrolling around. Microsoft Exchange server also has a feature called Outlook Mobile Access which is optimized for handhelds with smaller screens. But of course, it only works with Windows Mobile devices.

Another problem is that Outlook Web Access in Safari really blows. I have no idea why someone would want to use that if mail works, as you'd have much better control over your content.

And the questions on the keyboard really do stand out. Seeing it in action in the commercials, you see the buttons start expanding and all. Will this reduce the ability to type with any speed at all, if your keyboard keeps moving?
  • Reply 18 of 61
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O_rly View Post

Apple could have eased concerns about the virtual keyboard with some sort of tactile response technology. Hope we see this in future iPhones.

Or a future software upgrade, if it isn't there already under Settings. You have to remember, the beauty of this product is that the software is upgradable. As long as the hardware is there (and the vibrating capability is), then the software can be modified to access it.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O_rly View Post

... with some sort of tactile response technology.

A small electrical shock or a click similar to the clicking you hear when you 'turn' the scroll wheel of an iPod.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Apple lovers need to prepare themselves for the backlash once the iPhone is released. It can't possibly live up to the uninformed hype that surrounds it. Apple critics, bashers, and haters already have their knives sharpened ready to slash Apple and the iPhone to shreds when it hits the streets. This is partly do to Apple's own hype machine but the majority is just because its Apple and certain segments of the self-styled geek technocrats hate the company with a fierce passion.

So hold onto your butts when it's finally out. I see the vitriol rising on numerous web sites. And of course we'll have to deal with the usual whining crybabies who buy the thing and then commence to trash it because, well, that's what they do. You already see it on these forums.