iBank 3.0a -- any where to try it out?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I see that iBank (a personal finance program similar to Quicken) won a design award at the 2007 WWDC. Currently, only the 2.0 version is available for trial; it was the 3.0alpha version that won the award.

Seems odd that an alpha program would win such an award!

I'm desperate to find an alternative to Quicken. For more than a year I've tried Quicken 2007 for Mac, but it just seems like an incomplete program. I'm now using Quicken 2007 for Windows (gasp!) via Parallels. It's amazing how much easier the WIndows version's setup was for my various financial accounts.

Would love to try out iBank 3.0a -- anyone know if there's a torrent or something available for a trial version? (iBank's website makes no mention of it).

The last time I tried the 2.0 version of iBank I found it severely lacking in its ability to automatically download bank and investing transactions the way Quicken does so seemlessly. Hoping the 3.0 version is addressing this...

I switched to Mac about 2 years ago and and am one happy camper (with this one exception)...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    It's the runner-up for "Best Mac OS X Leopard Application", which explains why it won the award despite being an alpha as well as why it isn't publicly available. It relies on Leopard technologies and therefore won't be out until the OS is.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    argeliusargelius Posts: 309member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

It's the runner-up for "Best Mac OS X Leopard Application", which explains why it won the award despite being an alpha as well as why it isn't publicly available. It relies on Leopard technologies and therefore won't be out until the OS is.

Ah -- didn't know about its Leopard dependence...

Sure hoping it can unseat Quicken.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Argelius View Post

Sure hoping it can unseat Quicken.

Please, for the love of God, let it unseat quicken. It is my least favorite app of all time that I am utterly dependent upon.

ps. if any iBank developer reads this, and wants an ADC member as a beta tester, please let me know. I have used Quicken for over ten years, and I am very knowledgeable in finances.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    argeliusargelius Posts: 309member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue2kdave View Post

Please, for the love of God, let it unseat quicken. It is my least favorite app of all time that I am utterly dependent upon.

I couldn't agree more. I think Quicken must have some sort of racket with financial institutions, since it seems to be the only program that can quickly and simply download transactions.

Seems like every other Mac finance program I've tried requires you to separately go to the institution's website, download an .qif file, then manually import it into the Mac application. I am WAAAAY to lazy to do this.