Rumor puts Apple Nav System in Mercedes models by '09

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A rumor making the rounds on the Internet this past weekend has Apple partnering with luxury automaker Mercedes-Benz to deliver a multifaceted navigational system sometime during the 2009 calendar year.

Citing unnamed sources, German Magazine Focus said the Apple-developed device will combine entertainment, communication and navigation in a single console system.

Mercedes will reportedly have a six-month exclusive (translation) on the product when it's made available sometime in 2009. Further details, such as integration of Google Maps for navigation, are said to be unclear.

No other information was provided in the two-paragraph report by Focus, which has no track record when it comes to predictions for future Apple offerings.

A host of top automakers already offer elegant iPod integration solutions to car buyers, but none include Apple-developed navigational or entertainment components.

In 2004, Apple teamed with Mercedes rival BMW in delivering the first seamless integration between iPod and a car audio system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    I've always wanted a Google/Apple Nav system. My Garmin sucks
  • Reply 2 of 54
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Good

Apple should license the hell out of OS X/Multi touch.

Nav systems have improved but many are still horrible to "ok" for user interface "navigation"

I think that the turn of the next decade will usher in the "Carputer" where you have full access and services that a desktop/laptop would.

Imagine the possibilities.

1. Web access wherever you go...easy webmail access to your messages.

2. iTunes access....kids need a new movie for a trip...download something new while you drive.

3. Flexibility- enable wireless monitors that can accept difference sources so that passengers have access to disperate entertainment sources.

4. iPhone integration...sync you calendar/contacts and any other relevant data. So that the "right" data is always near you.

5. GPS data that combines "turn by turn" and arial Google Earth pictures of your trip/destination.

6. iSight support for backup cameras

7. Voice Recognition for comand and control of Carputer and text to speech for reading your emails/documents to you.

8. Destination and "Points of Interest" pop up in a HUD with relevant data.

9. XM/Sirius radio and support for NAV traffic

10. DVD player included though Nav map data resides on mini hard drive. DVD uploads new data to hdd.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    So nobody is going to mind when more OS X stuff is delayed? While car nav systems definitely need some work, I think a lot of it is because there are no buttons. Designing systems which are quick to use without requiring a lot of visual feedback is a lot different than something like the iPhone.

And built-in GPS systems are ridiculously expensive for what you get. A top of the line Garmin or other player will cost you $600 and generally be better than the $2000 nav system that is integrated. I imagine they are looking at the HK GPS500 which is a pretty neat device, and if they would just integrate that it would be a thousand times better than the built-ins.

I hope they aren't doing it, but that is because they already are letting too much slide.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Good

Nav systems have improved but many are still horrible to "ok" for user interface "navigation"

I think that the turn of the next decade will usher in the "Carputer" where you have full access and services that a desktop/laptop would.

2. iTunes access....kids need a new movie for a trip...download something new while you drive.

3. Flexibility- enable wireless monitors that can accept difference sources so that passengers have access to disperate entertainment sources.

4. iPhone integration...sync you calendar/contacts and any other relevant data. So that the "right" data is always near you.

5. GPS data that combines "turn by turn" and arial Google Earth pictures of your trip/destination.

7. Voice Recognition for comand and control of Carputer and text to speech for reading your emails/documents to you.

10. DVD player included though Nav map data resides on mini hard drive. DVD uploads new data to hdd.

You know, this sounds like the thing people would go ape for.

All this time and R&D computer companies have put into trying to get the computer into the living room as an all in one info/entertainment system--maybe the first place they should have been looking was the car. That is a space where people spend tons of time and are trapped, so to speak. After we get used to it in the car, then we will want a AppleTV at home that shares those features...

I guess all that is really needed to make this vision work is solid, high speed access to the internet. dont know if what is out there is good enough, but I guess it is inevitable.

Apple is lucky (forsightful?) as people are already used to plugging their iPods into the car. It will make sense for them to buy an iCarputer--especially after they geet hooked on the iPhone
  • Reply 5 of 54
    Quote:

Good

Howbout it automatically downloads map data? If this system can download a movie, why not a map?
  • Reply 6 of 54
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

...Apple should license the hell out of OS X/Multi touch.

Great, just what we need, even more people on the road not paying attention to driving, but playing with their nifty new carputer.

BTW, why would you need an iSight for backup camera operation? Or is it just necessary to throw that in there to make 10 (since mine does this without the need of iSight or OS X).
  • Reply 7 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

All this time and R&D computer companies have put into trying to get the computer into the living room as an all in one info/entertainment system--maybe the first place they should have been looking was the car. That is a space where people spend tons of time and are trapped, so to speak. After we get used to it in the car, then we will want a AppleTV at home that shares those features...

I guess all that is really needed to make this vision work is solid, high speed access to the internet. dont know if what is out there is good enough, but I guess it is inevitable.

Apple is lucky (forsightful?) as people are already used to plugging their iPods into the car. It will make sense for them to buy an iCarputer--especially after they geet hooked on the iPhone

Yes ...my boss is like many people...the minute he hits the road he's knocking out phone call after phone call. Technologies like WiMax and 4G are going to bring wirless speeds that compete well with Cable and DSL products of today. Clearwire is already at 1.5Mbps for wireless. We know that Apple can cram OS X down to a very small package (iPhone) yet maintain usability. Addabox and I have discussed this before. When you have OS X running on small devices the licensing opportunities begin to multiple. Apple doesn't need to license Macintosh but they stand to make <Dr Evil) Beeeeelions </Dr Evil> licensing OS X for CE devices.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

Howbout it automatically downloads map data? If this system can download a movie, why not a map?

D'oh...Occams Razor. Probably best to give people the option for both.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Great, just what we need, even more people on the road not paying attention to driving, but playing with their nifty new carputer.

BTW, why would you need an iSight for backup camera operation? Or is it just necessary to throw that in there to make 10 (since mine does this without the need of iSight or OS X).

Nah...some features won't work when the car is in drive. Bluetooth would be mandatory you get in your care and your phone syncs to the GPS unit just like most of the units today. My gf leaves her phone in her handbag and after her Audi syncs it "just works" Text to speech makes reading your email easy and it should be the default way to access email. Just give them the header info and let the TTS take over when driving.

Hell use any camera you want. I offered no limitations The key part is that backup cams are safe and any GPS system should support a number of cams in my book.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

We know that Apple can cram OS X down to a very small package (iPhone) yet maintain usability.

I don't want to start sounding like your standard Apple basher (TOO LATE!), but, no, we don't know that. We won't know that until the iPhone is released and see how well it works. And we won't know that until someone rips it apart, and starts examining the underpinnings to see whether it really is OS X underneath, or a real 'minimalist' version of OS X that has very little in common with the full version.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    Quote:

I don't want to start sounding like your standard Apple basher (TOO LATE!), but, no, we don't know that. We won't know that until the iPhone is released and see how well it works. And we won't know that until someone rips it apart, and starts examining the underpinnings to see whether it really is OS X underneath, or a real 'minimalist' version of OS X that has very little in common with the full version.

That's true..once the iPhone is in a greedy little Tech's hands who's curious we'll likely know a bit more about the makeup of iPhone OS X. Man I'd love to see what's on the roadpmap for the iPhone series.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    sort of off-topic but back-up cameras are only useful when you're driving a car that's way to big to begin with.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:

Because the backup camera needs a camera?
  • Reply 12 of 54
    How about a dock right on the dash or a slide in cradle for the iPhone? Instant syncing, the iPhone could use the car's external antenna, GPS, hard drive ect. Or with the new soptlight in Leopard could you imagine accessing documents on your home computer through your .Mac account. And if you get into your frineds car just slide in your iPhone for access you all of your documents, routes, music, video etc.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TKN View Post

So nobody is going to mind when more OS X stuff is delayed? While car nav systems definitely need some work, I think a lot of it is because there are no buttons. Designing systems which are quick to use without requiring a lot of visual feedback is a lot different than something like the iPhone.

And built-in GPS systems are ridiculously expensive for what you get. A top of the line Garmin or other player will cost you $600 and generally be better than the $2000 nav system that is integrated. I imagine they are looking at the HK GPS500 which is a pretty neat device, and if they would just integrate that it would be a thousand times better than the built-ins.

I hope they aren't doing it, but that is because they already are letting too much slide.

I've complained about the delays myself.

But, I would imagine that as Apple gets more into this, they will be hiring enough engineers to handle it. This is a new sales model for them, and they seem to be tiptoeing into it.

I do think they should be doing it.

In the long run, this would be the best thing for Apple's OS development. The biggest advantage MS has in this area, though, fortunately for Apple (and us), they haven't been able to take advantage of it, is that the costs of development is spread out amongst so many OEM, and retail copies. That brings the cost per copy down to a very small number, so that the profit is very high, as much as 80%.

If Apple can get the OS into computers, phones, iPods, ATv, and a good number of auto's, that could bring the number sold per year past 50 million. It could even go to 100 million, or even higher, if Apple plays it right.

This would be a very significant development.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    mattrebsmattrebs Posts: 74member
    Does it come with a Charging dock to sync my music.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Access to GPS is number one. Access to the internet could be spotty, unless some deal for satellite service was arranged for downloads, at least.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:

Good

I'm still waiting for the arrival of the VR suits with force feedback that were introduced in the early 90's...

If Apple wouldn't produce a tablet computer for hospitals for fear of liability should they crash at an adverse moment, what chance is there for a navigation system that runs the the same risk?
  • Reply 17 of 54
    Quote:

Oh, come on. There is so much stuff in cars now, that this won't be a problem. If it were done right, it would be easier, and less of a distraction than current systems. Perhaps Apple's new voice technology could be used.

Quote:

Some cars use cameras for backing up, and for regular road use as well. It's been shown to be much more accurate for people to use than those mirrors with the ubiquitous " Objects are closer than they appear" imprinted on the mirror surface.

If the screen would be in front of you, you wouldn't have to look sideways, out of the car, or up, and off the road, when checking. It would be much safer.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

I'm still waiting for the arrival of the VR suits with force feedback that were introduced in the early 90's...

If Apple wouldn't produce a tablet computer for hospitals for fear of liability should they crash at an adverse moment, what chance is there for a navigation system that runs the the same risk?

That's a big difference. MS's OS has warnings not to use it for life critical purposes. It also states that it isn't to be used for nuclear power plants. What does that have to do with it? It's in BMW's now.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    This report is ridiculous, plain and simple. There are so many other places where Apple could make improvements to OSes. Why on earth would they go after the NAV system market?

Speaking of fixing OSes, how can Apple conquer the portable media market, launch a ginormous attack against the Cell Phone industry, and still can't manage to FTFF?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

-Clive
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

This report is ridiculous, plain and simple. There are so many other places where Apple could make improvements to OSes. Why on earth would they go after the NAV system market?

Because that would be a business that Apple could sell many millions of copies to.