Macbook screen size

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just wondering what you guys who own one think of the macbooks screen size? I am currently using a 14 inch powerbook and find it fine for everyday use, but I have to think 13 inches would be too small.

Right now Im deciding between a macbook and iMac for my next machine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    14-inch PowerBook... you mean 14-inch iBook? 14-inch iBook has 14.1" XGA LCD (1024x768) whereas MacBook has 13.3" WXGA LCD (1280x800). That translates to 91 PPI for 14-inch iBook vs. 113 PPI for MacBook.

In comparison, 15-inch MacBook Pro has 110 PPI LCD, 17-inch MacBook Pro 117 PPI (1680x1050) and 133 PPI (1920x1200). Most desktop Macs come with 99-100 PPI LCD (exception 24-inch iMac at 95 PPI).

With Leopard arriving with resolution independent UI (not sure whether it will be 100% across the board all apps and fully enabled), high PPI can actually improve readability.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    I was worried when I bought mine that the screen would be too small. Perhaps if I had bad eyesight it might be a problem, but I love its compact design. It's perfect for travel and on-the-road use. I'd say it's "just right." And I love the fact that I can still use a 1280x800 resolution on such a "small" screen.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

I was worried when I bought mine that the screen would be too small. Perhaps if I had bad eyesight it might be a problem, but I love its compact design. It's perfect for travel and on-the-road use. I'd say it's "just right." And I love the fact that I can still use a 1280x800 resolution on such a "small" screen.

I agree with the post above. Although I personally have the 15" MBP (and absolutely love it), I do think the 13" is still a good sized laptop. I was working with a friend's today, and I didn't have any frustration with screen size. I guess the question is, will you be traveling? If so, obviously the Macbook would be the way to go. I just bought a stand, bluetooth mouse and keyboard, and hooked up my extra monitor (running dual monitors) to my MBP (can do the same with just reg MB), and it's like I have my own desktop and laptop (granted you'll have to dish out some extra $$$). I have a comfortable setup at home, and if I want, I can quickly unhook everything and take it over to a friend's/on a trip. It's awesome.

Eh, well that's my two cents.