Jobs drags OSX back into Candyland

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Interesting opinions. Is it just the screen shots provided on Apple's Leopard preview page, or has Apple done away completely with the radius in the upper corners of the OS? This always bothered me considering that the bottom corners were never rounded.

That's bothered me too. I suspect they may be the same and it's just the screenshot but they've certainly sharpened the window corners to be more like itunes so they may well have gotten rid of the round screen corners.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

The one feature I find to be completely useless flash is the coverflow in finder. In iTunes it's ok as it's kinda cool to see the album art like that. But in finder it would be useless because i need to actually pay attention to what I'm looking for.

I do not think coverflow is useless because you can view the contents of the file, not the first page or even just icon of the type of file it is.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

I do not think coverflow is useless because you can view the contents of the file, not the first page or even just icon of the type of file it is.

Well I'll need to see it in action. On iTunes all you see is the album art cover, not the song you may be looking for. In iTunes if I'm looking for a song I use search, not cover flow. I could be wrong in how this actually ends up working. Let's see what it looks like when released.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

Right, the Leopard coverflow mode is more like the iPhone's coverflow (which, coincidentally also runs Leopard <_<), where you can tap the album cover for the listing of songs. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see iTunes get the same feature either with the release of the iPhone, or in the new version with Leopard.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

With iTunes cover flow works great for exactly that reason. If you know the album the song is in you can just visually flip through the albums really fast and pick the song. This doesn't work with the Finder nearly the same way except maybe the pictures folder.

Sebastian

I've multiple songs in my playlist from the same album. In fact it's rare for me to only have one song from an album. No help for me.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I've multiple songs in my playlist from the same album. In fact it's rare for me to only have one song from an album. No help for me.

see my post above yours
  • Reply 48 of 60
    I'll be lovin coverflow in finder
  • Reply 49 of 60
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Does anyone else really want the iPhone coverflow feature where you can view the songs of an album by flipping it over. I really, really want that feature and i should be in itunes today!!
  • Reply 50 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Does anyone else really want the iPhone coverflow feature where you can view the songs of an album by flipping it over. I really, really want that feature and i should be in itunes today!!

Makes more sense than coverflow as it is today. I have a feeling it'll come at the same time as iPhone.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

Right, the Leopard coverflow mode is more like the iPhone's coverflow (which, coincidentally also runs Leopard <_<), where you can tap the album cover for the listing of songs. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see iTunes get the same feature either with the release of the iPhone, or in the new version with Leopard.

What would be special is that like the 'Album Info' on the iPhone we got the 'Get Info' in the Finder.

Likewise, being able to 'flip' a file from CoverFlow or QuickLook and have all the Inspector items available would be extremely awesome.
    • Browsing along adn you find a file >>>>

• Space (Activates QuickLook)......

• CMD - I or a little 'i' ala Widgets (Flips to revel the Get Info, comments, size, perms, etc)....

• Done button or ESC (Flips back to file view) ESC or Space returns file or CoverFlow

Badness!!

Zaz
  • Reply 52 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'm down with the flow that is coverflow.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Do you even realize that the iPhone is not a computer? There's a HUGE difference between portable GUIs and full-blown OS GUIs.

Yes I'm aware it's not a fully blown computer.

Quote:

I don't see where you're coming from. Jobs even said a huge part of the new GUI was to unify it all instead of having it be a, how you described it, "chop-shop interface." And from what we saw, the interface is much more unified. I don't know what video/pictures you were watching...

Try quoting me fully, the answer to your question was in the very same paragraph you partially quoted.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    If coverflow is going to be used for more than browsing album covers, it needs a new name. Fileflow doesn't sound as good but it's more accurate.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zaz View Post

What would be special is that like the 'Album Info' on the iPhone we got the 'Get Info' in the Finder.

-CMD - I or a little 'i' ala Widgets (Flips to revel the Get Info, comments, size, perms, etc)....

Flipping the cover or a window makes sense on a phone or for a tiny Dashboard widget, in the Finder there is no space constraint (I've got 1.76 million pixels) and I can type Command-I to open the good-ol' Get Info window at any time before or after previewing the file in QuickLook.
  • Reply 56 of 60
    I think Leopard looks great, except for the transparent menu bar. Based on the screenshots it looks a LOT better, more unified and consisent than Tiger.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    Quote:

Likewise, being able to 'flip' a file from CoverFlow or QuickLook and have all the Inspector items available would be extremely awesome.

• CMD - I or a little 'i' ala Widgets (Flips to revel the Get Info, comments, size, perms, etc)....

• Done button or ESC (Flips back to file view) ESC or Space returns file or CoverFlow

Badness!!

Zaz

you should email this idea to someone at apple !
  • Reply 59 of 60
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archstudent View Post

you should email this idea to someone at apple !

Right, and I am wondering how Apple has not yet implemented this. There is still plenty of time to add that functionality in the Finder features. With the existing API's, decision is the only complication I see.

EDIT. Now that I am thinking again about this, there is an obvious problem: while you see the back of the file icon, the file and its icon are accessible from the Finder (should not it be?) through another Finder window. Not sure, but I smell some GUI inconsistency.
  • Reply 60 of 60
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

Badness!!

Zaz

Another feature to add would be to provide the ability to select a metadata item (i.e. author, project, etc) and have other related items (documents, emails, photos, etc.) get displayed. This could be an on-the-fly smart search or open another Finder window or create a tab in the current Finder.