Running 30" monitor from 15" MBP 2.2GHz?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm about to buy a 15" 2.2GHz MBP and intend to get a 30" monitor to go with it. The thinking is that I will have a large 24-bit monitor when I am home, mainly for Photoshop use, and a very portable unit for photography in the field. (I'm planning to get the Dell 3007WFP HC 30" rather than the Apple Cinema Display but that shouldn't make any difference.)

The questions:

Has anyone tried this, and can confirm that the 30" external monitor can be driven at native res (2560x1600)? If so, how does it run?

Can two monitors be run with separate colour profiles? (I would like both to be calibrated).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    I have run a 30" ACD for at least 30 hours on my MBP 2.33Ghz with 2GB of RAM & it works just as well as my Dual G5 with an ATI Radeon x800xt GPU in it. You can mirror or span, but if you mirror just make sure that you set the external as the one with the dock, I usually just set it to span & have Photoshop or Ilustrator open & then have a browser, mail & all on the 15" portion. I have used it to give presentations before & people love it, Front Row however will not work on the 30" or it didn't the 2 times I tried.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foto-z View Post

Can two monitors be run with separate colour profiles? (I would like both to be calibrated).

Yep !
  • Reply 3 of 3
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Yeah, a MB Pro will drive a 30"er perfectly - the two MB Pros that I have owned have been the most stable platforms for the 30"er that I've experienced.

All I would say, is that the 30"er is a demanding panel, and it will place a heavy load on any system. Pushing around 4 million pixels isn't a petty task.