Post Your iTunes Framerates!!!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Isn't iTunes just the most amazing program ever? Those visual effects are amazing. By the way, are they truely random? If there's a computer company out there that can deliver mesmerizing psychedelic images on my screen, it's Apple! Even on my 275mhz 603e with Rage 2MB video card going at 3 frames per second those visuals are just beautiful! I can't imagine how nice and juicy they are on faster cards. So, what kind of framerates do you get with iTunes on your video card?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    PowerMac G4 (AGP) 400Mhz

Rage128 Pro

128MB RAM

Mac OS X v10.1.4

FPS - 15

I know, I know...I need more RAM.

• Reply 2 of 15
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ming:

<strong>Even on my 275mhz 603e with Rage 2MB video card going at 3 frames per second those visuals are just beautiful! I can't imagine how nice and juicy they are on faster cards.</strong><hr></blockquote>iTunes does not utilize the graphics card for the default visualizer. Rather, everything it does is rendered by the CPU. Why? There's too much custom pixel-pushing for them to use OpenGL. Furthermore, it's important to realize that the visualizer takes a speed hit whenever there is an overlay such as the white Apple logo and any text (including the track info, help system, and the framerate display). So, you'll actually get slightly higher framerates by turning off the FPS counter. Strange, huh?

Anyway, with the counter on, I get about 18 FPS full-screen. In the window, I can get upwards of 200 FPS.

dual 500 MHz G4
  • Reply 3 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    500MHz iBook

Rage 128

384MB RAM

25 FPS
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Starfleet how did you get upwards of 200 on a dual 500 I would be lucky if i can break 35 on a dual 533. Are you in OS X or 9?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I"ve got a dual 450 G4, and if I shrink the iTunes window to it's smallest size with the visualizer going, I'm lucky to actually hit 30fps.

I'd like to know how you're doing it as well.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    mingming Posts: 41member
    hey, just for consistency sake lets say post your full screen fps with visuals on "large", and the "fast and rough" option unchecked

[ 05-20-2002: Message edited by: Ming ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by M3D Jack:

<strong>I shrink the iTunes window to it's smallest size with the visualizer going</strong><hr></blockquote>Bingo.

Don't forget to turn off the 30 FPS cap and use "faster but rougher display"!

Also, switching to 16-bit color helps slightly.

edit: 240! yeah baby!

edit 2: wait... wait... ah! 300! no... 400!

And, yes, these are real snapshots. No doctoring or Photoshopping at all.

[ 05-20-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 15
    scott f.scott f. Posts: 276member
    G4 533 w/ 1.5GB RAM - Screen res 1600 x 1200:

shrinking the window to it's SMALLEST size, I can get 36 fps... but once I open the window up to a decent size (1/4 screen) it drops to about 8-12 fps.

not very impressive evn with 1.5 GB RAM.

EDIT: Not sure if it's relevant, but during my test... there were NUMEROUS other apps running... but this is the "norm" for me... I ALWAYS have a minimum of 7 apps running; DragThing, Suitcase, Desktop Calendar, Mail, Adium, a browser (IE or OmniWeb) and MSN Messenger are ALWAYS running.

On top of those apps... I generally use PShop, Illustrator, FCP, DVD-SP, LightWave... etc...

I tend to NOT use iTunes with FCP or LightWave.

[ 05-20-2002: Message edited by: Scott F. ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 15
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Full screen on an LCD iMac (1024 x 768) without the faster but rougher setting, I average about 21-24fps. If I do nothing else and let it go for a while, I hit 30/31fps (I have it capped off). Without it capped off, I hit about 36fps.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott F.:

<strong>shrinking the window to it's SMALLEST size, I can get 36 fps...</strong><hr></blockquote>Are you *sure* you've turned off the 30 fps cap? [quote]<strong>not very impressive evn with 1.5 GB RAM.</strong><hr></blockquote>RAM won't matter in this kind of test unless you're doing something in the background that's eating up hundreds of megs of memory and making you page to disk. [quote]<strong>EDIT: Not sure if it's relevant, but during my test... there were NUMEROUS other apps running...</strong><hr></blockquote>The only way these apps would affect iTunes' performance is if any of them are processing something or are Bad Carbon Ports that leak memory and CPU cycles.

Shoot... I've got OmniWeb, Chimera, Mail, Adium, QuickTime Player, Terminal, GraphicConverter, Captain FTP, TextEdit, System Prefs, and Final Cut Pro running and I still average 60-70 fps... *while* capturing a Snapz movie of it!

<a href="http://brad.project-think.com/movies/iTunes-visualizer-01.mov"; target="_blank">Click me! I'm only 2 MB!</a>

[quote]just for consistency sake lets say post your full screen fps with visuals on "large", and the "fast and rough" option unchecked<hr></blockquote>Using this new metric, I average 30 fps with the same song I used in that movie.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    scott f.scott f. Posts: 276member
    I "unchecked" the CAP FRAMES AT 30 checkbox (hence getting 36 fps) but left the quality at high... NOT rougher but faster.

I bet I could get more from it if I turned that on... but what's the point...? It doesn't look as good.

It also might be the fact that I am runing both displays at 1600 x 1200. The iTunes window was on the "Main" AGP Window... but I think MY AGP card is one of the earlier (slower?) ones that came with the G4 533.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott F.:

<strong>It also might be the fact that I am runing both displays at 1600 x 1200.</strong><hr></blockquote>That too doesn't matter because iTunes switches to 640x480 when it goes full-screen.

Anyway, the whole point is moot for me because I never actually use the visualizer. I'm either listening to music in the background as I work or not listening at all. I only really use the visualizer as a "wow" feature if I'm showing off the Mac to someone else.

Adios -- my work here is done.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Smallest and Fastest: 70fps

Full Screen and Fastest: 21

Those are peaks on a...

Pismo 400Mhz

192MB RAM

8MB VRAM

w/ Eudora 5.1, Palm Desktop, IE 5.0, and Stickies also open.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    i get 12 on full screen best display and 20 with faster but rougher.

Powerbook G4 550 w/ IE, Mail, Fire, Screen Dump, and Swap Top running. oh and streaming Music to an iMac over airport to play on the house sterio.

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~salmonstk"; target="_blank">http://home.earthlink.net/~salmonstk</a>;
  • Reply 15 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I can't get over 400 fps with my dual 1 GHz, so I don't think it's possible.