AT&T stores to close, re-open ahead of iPhone

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
AT&T, the exclusive wireless carrier for iPhone in the United States, will reportedly shutter its entire national retail chain for approximately two hours on June 29th to prepare for that evening's launch of the eagerly awaited Apple handset.

Specifically, a number of tipsters report that their local AT&T/Cingular wireless stores will temporarily close around 4:00 or 4:30 p.m. and not reopen until 6:00 p.m. -- the same time Apple has stated its iPhone will be made available to the purchasing public.

The move will reportedly allow the nation's No. 1 wireless carrier to prevent large mobs from packing the retail locations ahead of the iPhone launch. Additionally, it's said to provide time for staffers to erect elaborate iPhone displays, which will reportedly require their own power supplies and Internet connection.

"[AT&T stores] will be setting up roped queue lines for when they re-open at 6:00 p.m.," said one tipster, who spoke with representatives at his local AT&T retail store in a smaller suburban market in central Pennsylvania. "They then plan on staying open till 10:00 p.m."

Reports from AT&T stores in more populated regions have indicated that those locations would remain open until midnight on the 29th.

Individual AT&T retail store representatives contacted by AppleInsider were unable to provide further details, saying they do not expect formal training and final briefings on the Apple handset until "a day or two" before launch.

On a related note, one AT&T retail employee told AppleInsider that his location recently received a significant shipment of iPhone accessories, none of which were Apple made.

"One was an acrylic clear case/holster, another was a leather case, and the last batch were pink/blue/black/clear silicone gel cases," the employee said. "I don't know if these were sent out nationwide or not but it's a little unusual to receive accessories for a handset 2 weeks before launch."

For its part, Apple has announced plans to market one of its own accessories alongside iPhone -- a wireless Bluetooth headset, which recently received the green light from regulators at the FCC.

Pricing details and availability for the Apple accessory have not been released.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    It sounds like AT&T is commited
  • Reply 2 of 42
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Im so jealous
  • Reply 3 of 42
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    made for iphone revenue anyone?
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For its part, Apple has announced plans to market two of its own accessories alongside iPhone. One is a wireless Bluetooth headset, which recently received the green light from regulators at the FCC. The second is a wired headset with built-in microphone.

Pricing details and availability for the Apple accessories have not been made public.

Where was the confirm on the 'wired headset with mic' as being an accessory that can be purchased. This is not included with the iPhone?
  • Reply 5 of 42
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

Where was the confirm on the 'wired headset with mic' as being an accessory that can be purchased. This is not included with the iPhone?

I'm pretty sure it IS included. I think Jobs said so originally, and they'd need to include earbuds anyway for iPod use. And the Apple iPhone site shows the earbuds as having the mic pod:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/gallery/index4.html
  • Reply 6 of 42
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:

.... stores will temporally close around 4:00 or 4:30 p.m. and not reopen until .......

Not spatially?
  • Reply 7 of 42
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I'm pretty sure it IS included. I think Jobs said so originally, and they'd need to include earbuds anyway for iPod use. And the Apple iPhone site shows the earbuds as having the mic pod:

Thanks,

-K
  • Reply 8 of 42
    plusplus Posts: 54member
    Quote:

.... AT&T/Cingular wireless stores will temporally close around 4:00 or ....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Not spatially?

No, no ... each store will continue to occupy the same space, silly! The two-hour closure is merely a temporal event.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Anyone else notice how manufactured that image is? You see one cable leading up to one earbud, and then the other one is just kindof hanging out there.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Its a PR gambit, nothing more. They just want to have pictures of people standing in line so to drive the PR people (all of which will be wasted, for everyone knows that no one pays attention to the news in the summer over a weekend.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

I went back and listened to the MWSF 2007 Keynote and yes, he said they'd be shipping the earphones that include the mic.

But then he showed the bluetooth headset too and said the same thing "we'll be shipping". For neither he said that they would be shipping with the phone.

Do you think we'd get a twofer?
  • Reply 12 of 42
    kfugerekfugere Posts: 1member
    I thought the bluetooth headset was going to be included with iphone as well...I am pretty sure Jobs specified this in his keynote. Does anyone know anything?
  • Reply 13 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plus View Post

No, no ... each store will continue to occupy the same space, silly! The two-hour closure is merely a temporal event.

Unless the stores are actually Tardis's. Then they could occupy a different space during the time they are closed.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    "Now let me tell you about some accessories we?ve got for iPhone. Got some great stereo headphones we?re going to be shipping, and they?ve got a little addition to them, which is this little thing right over here. It?s a microphone and a switch, so you can talk, you have them in there, you can get a call and just talk. Beautiful reception on the microphone. And just push it together to answer a call or hang up on a call. So you can be wearing them. It just dangles right there and picks up your voice beautifully. And we also have a Bluetooth accessory headset that we?re going to be shipping and there it is right there. It?s incredibly small and just to let you see what it looks like, it?s got one button on the top for answering and hanging up a phone call. You never have to turn it off or on. It just goes to sleep. It automatically pairs with iPhone so you don?t have to worry about pairing. It?s really simple. And it?s very tiny. This is what it looks like in-ear. It?s just beautiful. It?s the coolest one that we?ve ever seen. So Bluetooth headset coming as well."

--Steve Jobs, Macworld 2007 Transcript
  • Reply 15 of 42
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    during the keynote, SJ said the headphones with wired mic will be included, then he said they're also developing a bluetooth headset. he never said it would be included. that obviously means it's not.

edit... yeah what matt quoted...heck maybe the headphones aren't even included.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Its a PR gambit, nothing more. They just want to have pictures of people standing in line so to drive the PR people (all of which will be wasted, for everyone knows that no one pays attention to the news in the summer over a weekend.

I suspect the two-hour closing is to allow AT&T employees ample time to roll around naked in a sea of iPhones.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plus View Post

This is why Steve invented Spaces. For just such a possibility.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

during the keynote, SJ said the headphones with wired mic will be included, then he said they're also developing a bluetooth headset. he never said it would be included. that obviously means it's not.

edit... yeah what matt quoted...heck maybe the headphones aren't even included.

Wired headphone with mic, can cost as little as $20. But, the cheapest wireless versions I've seen start well upwards of $50, and that's for the cheap ones. The better models are upwards of $125.

So, I can see the wired version being free, but not the wireless model.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

"Now let me tell you about some accessories we?ve got for iPhone. Got some great stereo headphones we?re going to be shipping, and they?ve got a little addition to them, which is this little thing right over here. It?s a microphone and a switch, so you can talk, you have them in there, you can get a call and just talk. Beautiful reception on the microphone. And just push it together to answer a call or hang up on a call. So you can be wearing them. It just dangles right there and picks up your voice beautifully. And we also have a Bluetooth accessory headset that we?re going to be shipping and there it is right there. It?s incredibly small and just to let you see what it looks like, it?s got one button on the top for answering and hanging up a phone call. You never have to turn it off or on. It just goes to sleep. It automatically pairs with iPhone so you don?t have to worry about pairing. It?s really simple. And it?s very tiny. This is what it looks like in-ear. It?s just beautiful. It?s the coolest one that we?ve ever seen. So Bluetooth headset coming as well."

--Steve Jobs, Macworld 2007 Transcript

Right, "going to be shipping". A little vague, don't you think? He never said they would be included with the phone, but then again, every iPod comes with headphones. And getting the bluetooth headset thrown it would make the prices a bit less painful.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

So, I can see the wired version being free, but not the wireless model.

they will ship in the box, but there will be a $1.99 fee simply for accounting purposes. don't wanna break any laws.