Intel Core 2 Extreme on iMacs?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all



Just noticed this story on Engadget. Just in time for the new iMacs, don't you think?



Discuss

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 9
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by new imac View Post


    Hi all



    Just noticed this story on Engadget. Just in time for the new iMacs, don't you think?



    Discuss



    One word, one question: price?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    new imacnew imac Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post


    One word, one question: price?



    I have no idea, though the article does mention some price cuts for older chips...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by new imac View Post


    I have no idea, though the article does mention some price cuts for older chips...



    If I remember well, in the recent past the cost of the "extreme" chips were situated some hundred dollars above the cost of the normal chips Apple uses in machines like the iMac. If this is the case in the previous story, then just forget it.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post


    If I remember well, in the recent past the cost of the "extreme" chips were situated some hundred dollars above the cost of the normal chips Apple uses in machines like the iMac. If this is the case in the previous story, then just forget it.



    Yep, Extreme chips are far too expensive, $999 and up, and likely too hot for a peaceful iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    These chips will work n iMac as they are made for laptops. Price though, is another matter.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    keikojaakeikojaa Posts: 37member
    Those will be good on Macbook pro so the Macbook can go with Santa Rosa too but with slower ones. That would make the difference between pro and no pro macbook.



    But for now, in the iMac .. i say : YES !!! ;-)
  • Reply 7 of 9
    No, too expensive for iMac, and its a notebook chip so the MacPros won't have them. MBPs were just updated and by the time they are updated again there will be newer faster chips out there, and too expensive for regular MB. What COULD be a possibility would be an updated minitower /cube (higher end) but I think it's too expensive for this too since it is supposed to be a cheaper machine. So all-in-all, unless Apple creates a Macbook Super Pro in August, this is not a very good possibility at this point.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    $799 for the 2.6ghz X7800. I could see it as an option in the 24"
  • Reply 9 of 9
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    With the prices previously mentioned I don't see the extreme as a possibility in the iMac.
Sign In or Register to comment.