Apple's iPhone to wirelessly stream YouTube content

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple said Wednesday that its eagerly awaited iPhone will allow users to enjoy YouTube?s originally-created content when it begins shipping on June 29.

A new Apple-designed application on iPhone will wirelessly stream YouTube?s content to iPhone over Wi-Fi or EDGE networks and play it on the devices 3.5 inch display, the Cupertino-based company said in a statement.

To achieve higher video quality and longer battery life on mobile devices, YouTube has begun encoding their videos in the advanced H.264 format, and iPhone will be the first mobile device to use the H.264-encoded videos.

?iPhone delivers the best YouTube mobile experience by far,? said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. ?Now users can enjoy YouTube wherever they are?on their iPhone, on their Mac or on a widescreen TV in their living room with Apple TV.?

Over 10,000 videos will be available on June 29, and YouTube will be adding more each week until their full catalog of videos is available in the H.264 format this fall.

iPhone will include the Apple-designed YouTube application when it goes on sale in the US on June 29. The Apple handset will be available in a 4GB model for $499 (US) and an 8GB model for $599 (US) through Apple?s retail and online stores, and through AT&T?s retail stores.

YouTube now on Apple TV

Apple also said Wednesday that YouTube is now live on Apple TV. Owners of the $299 streaming media hub can download the free update via the device's built-in software update feature located under the "Settings" menu.

AppleInsider has published a photo gallery of the update process.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 141
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Excellent!

Now we need savvy developers to create a program that will grab (from your home Mac) newly downloaded videos from your torrents, split the files into 10 minute segments, upload to YouTube and make it private for personal viewing on your iPhone.

Or, send an specialized email to your home Mac that will auto grab a previously saved video and do exactly what I specified above.

PS: And before anyone thinks this could be a last minute decision by Apple, if you recall that extra icon I mentioned after the new commercials came out, well, it looks like we now have the answer.
  • Reply 2 of 141
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Dumb question, when I try to update my AppleTV using the remote and wirelessly connected to the Intarweb, I can't see any YouTube stuff. ...Trailers and stuff okay, no YouTube
  • Reply 3 of 141
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    so how does one search for content on the apple TV?

does this mean you can now plug in a keyboard and type ?

or is it just somehow browsing?
  • Reply 4 of 141
    atlasatlas Posts: 90member
    This makes me even more excited about the iPhone. Now I can carry less videos on my phone and more music ^_^
  • Reply 5 of 141
    awalawal Posts: 66member
    soo when's the AppleTV YouTube update coming?
  • Reply 6 of 141
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AWAL View Post

soo when's the AppleTV YouTube update coming?

its here. turn on your apple tv and go update the software in the settings.
  • Reply 7 of 141
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    W.O.W.

This is truly big. Throw in Skype too at some point..... please!?
  • Reply 8 of 141
    Why in the name of all that's sane is this something to be excited about. If I have a WiFi enabled phone, with a so called "FULL Browser", and with Youtube support, why wouldn't I be able to stream video.
  • Reply 9 of 141
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    Please correct:

Quote:

Apple said Wednesday that its eagerly awaited iPhone

Thanks!

Edit: correction done :-)
  • Reply 10 of 141
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    You can see what Apple are doing here - they're releasing features and press releases every few days to keep the iPhone in the news... Clever
  • Reply 11 of 141
    You should be able to use Skype soon. Someone will write Skype for iPhone soon. REAL SOON.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

W.O.W.

This is truly big. Throw in Skype too at some point..... please!?

• Reply 12 of 141
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Dumb question, when I try to update my AppleTV using the remote and wirelessly connected to the Intarweb, I can't see any YouTube stuff. ...Trailers and stuff okay, no YouTube

Same thing here.. The update didn't work.. After downloading, Apple TV restarted but is still running software version 1.0. I'm trying it a second time now.
  • Reply 13 of 141
    jdmlightjdmlight Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Why in the name of all that's sane is this something to be excited about. If I have a WiFi enabled phone, with a so called "FULL Browser", and with Youtube support, why wouldn't I be able to stream video.

Because if YouTube hadn't started converting their videos to H.264, they would still be in Flash format - which the iPhone can't play. Plus, I'm sure a dedicated application designed for a small screen is easier to use than a website designed for a bigger screen.
  • Reply 14 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jido View Post

Please correct:

Thanks!

There's no spelling mistake here.
  • Reply 15 of 141
    artseartse Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Same thing here.. The update didn't work.. After downloading, Apple TV restarted but is still running software version 1.0. I'm trying it a second time now.

There's 2 steps: After the download, did you select Update... I don't remember the exact words.
  • Reply 16 of 141
    **SLAPS FOREHEAD** I forgot about the no flash support.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdmlight View Post

Because if YouTube hadn't started converting their videos to H.264, they would still be in Flash format - which the iPhone can't play. Plus, I'm sure a dedicated application designed for a small screen is easier to use than a website designed for a bigger screen.

• Reply 17 of 141
    Oh - apologies...
  • Reply 18 of 141
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allstaruk View Post

There's no spelling mistake here.

I was puzzled too, but that is because the poster corrected it. The part in the story is wrong. Here is the part in the story:

Quote:

Apple said Wednesday that it's eagerly awaited iPhone

• Reply 19 of 141
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by artse View Post

There's 2 steps: After the download, did you select Update... I don't remember the exact words.

Yes, I did both steps... The exact words were "update now" or "update later."

However, after repeating the whole process a second time, it is now working... The servers are probably just overloaded.
  • Reply 20 of 141
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdmlight View Post

I might too generous in my interpretation, buy I think he was more getting at the idea that Apple is claiming the iPhone provides the "full web" experience yet doesn't (as fas as is known) support Flash. At work, Flash isn't installed and I've stumbled upon numerous sites that don't function fully without it. Likewise, at home on my Mac, I've stumbled upon numerous sites that don't play well with Safari. Put those two together and you're going to have a less than stellar web experience on the iPhone.

Note to Apple: Why don't you quit wasting time helping YouTube re-encode their videos, and instead spend time re-encoding the iTunes Store video content in 720p so there's a reason to actually buy the AppleTV?