Help for a new ipod buyer

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am just about to buy my first ipod and would like a little better understanding of how they work.(I know I am behind the times.) I have a few questions.

1. I understand how it works as far as a "walkman" function. However I am curious how, and what you need to play the music without the headphones? I believe I can buy a little "stereo" of sorts to put it into. But I am wondering can I plug it into the stereo I have set up at home? If so what do I require?

2. I am trying to determine the "size" of ipod I require. I currently have about 6G's of music in MP3 format. I know that this will be converted to "Itunes". Can I assume I will still have about 6 G's worth of information to put onto my ipod? Or does converting mean I will be adding or subtracting from the 6 G's.

3. Finally I have a question in relation to playlists. It is my understanding that I can create playlists from music already in the ipod.(If this is not true please tell me). When I create this playlist is it pulling the song from its original file or is it actually l creating a new playlist and thereby creating an additional song file. Again I am thinking from a space perspective if I like having all my music arranged according to artist, but will want to make playlists that combine the artists, will doing so use significantlly more memory?

Probably basic questions to regular users but I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayne_cobb View Post

I currently have about 6G's of music in MP3 format. I know that this will be converted to "Itunes".

The iPod plays mp3 files just fine.

Audio formats supported: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3 and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

I am just about to buy my first ipod and would like a little better understanding of how they work.(I know I am behind the times.) I have a few questions.

1. I understand how it works as far as a "walkman" function. However I am curious how, and what you need to play the music without the headphones? I believe I can buy a little "stereo" of sorts to put it into. But I am wondering can I plug it into the stereo I have set up at home? If so what do I require?

2. I am trying to determine the "size" of ipod I require. I currently have about 6G's of music in MP3 format. I know that this will be converted to "Itunes". Can I assume I will still have about 6 G's worth of information to put onto my ipod? Or does converting mean I will be adding or subtracting from the 6 G's.

3. Finally I have a question in relation to playlists. It is my understanding that I can create playlists from music already in the ipod.(If this is not true please tell me). When I create this playlist is it pulling the song from its original file or is it actually l creating a new playlist and thereby creating an additional song file. Again I am thinking from a space perspective if I like having all my music arranged according to artist, but will want to make playlists that combine the artists, will doing so use significantlly more memory?

Probably basic questions to regular users but I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide.

since question 2 was already answered, to question 1, you can use ipod as aux device, with normal aux cable, having normal audio plug in one end. There are also plenty of other better options to connect iPod to stereo, this only beeing the easiest and most bullet proof.

question 3, playlists are just collections of pointers to files, so they wont take too much space on ipod
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Thanks for the replies to all my questions. I now have a solid understanding of questions 1 and 3 and just to clarify question 2.

I can put MP3 files directly onto my ipod? I thought they had to be itunes. IF that is true, is there any advantage or for that matter disadvantage of converting them to itunes?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Thanks for the replies to all my questions. I now have a solid understanding of questions 1 and 3 and just to clarify question 2.

I can put MP3 files directly onto my ipod? I thought they had to be itunes. IF that is true, is there any advantage or for that matter disadvantage of converting them to itunes?

Yes, they should be transferd to your ipod via iTunes(there are also other means), meaning that iTunes manages your files, just like windows media players media list does. iTunes doesn't convert the files to any other format.