PiperJaffray weighs in on iPod sales, new iMacs, other rumors

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
In a pair of research notes released Wednesday, analysts for investment banking firm Piper Jaffray offered an update on Apple's June quarter iPod shipments while also commenting on expectations for next-generation iMacs, iPhone availability, and the prospect of an Apple navigation system.

June iPod sales tracking around 9.5 - 10.0 million

"Our analysis of iPod unit data from NPD for the month of May leads us to a preliminary iPod approximation of between 9.5 million and 10.0 million units for the June 2007 quarter," analyst Gene Munster wrote in the first of two notes.

Munster has been modeling the Cupertino-based company to sell approximately 10.5 million of the digital media players during the quarter, slightly above Wall Street consensus estimates of 9.8 million.

"The 9.5 million -10.0 million unit approximation is based on various assumptions and is an extrapolation of two months of data," he explained. "When the third month of data is released, our analysis will likely lead to a slightly different iPod unit figure than what our analysis suggests based on the second month of data, so we believe investors should supplement this data point with other information."

New iMacs

Meanwhile, Munster in a second report echoed several pieces of original AppleInsider content published over past week, including predictions for Apple's next-generation iMacs and AT&T's retail plans for next week's iPhone launch.

"As we anticipated, the redesigned iMacs were not announced at last week's WWDC keynote," the analyst wrote. "However, we continue to expect iMacs with a new form factor by September."

Munster, referencing the MacRumors buyers guide, added that it has been nearly 300 days since Apple has had anything to say about its top-selling desktop system, well beyond the average 168 days between previous upgrade cycles.

iPhone Availability

Commenting on next week's iPhone launch, the Piper Jaffray analyst advised clients that AT&T stores will close temporarily around 4:00 p.m. on the 29th to prepare for the 6:00 p.m. launch, then re-open at 6:00 p.m.

"The company is anticipating long lines and large crowds, and will use the two hours to prepare accordingly," he wrote. "It is important to note that by the end of 2007 we expect iPhone availability to expand to about 30 percent of AT&T's 8,000 franchised outlets."

iPhone in Europe

At the same time, however, Munster shed some doubt on Apple's ability to make good on its commitment to roll-out the handset in Europe later this year, explaining that the launch "may be delayed."

"European wireless carriers are citing strict terms of the partnership with Apple," he explained. "To a certain degree, this sheds an interesting light on the AT&T pact, implying that it is favorable towards Apple."

The analyst speculated that Apple's agreement with AT&T may involve handset subsidies and a generous revenue sharing plan.

Apple Navigation System

Finally, Munster gave some attention to recent rumblings of an Apple-designed in-car navigation system, which were first published by an overseas gadget publication.

"While this seems far-fetched, the device could simply be an iPhone equipped with GPS, which is a feature we expect in 2009," he told clients. "Additionally, in recent comments [Apple chief executive] Steve Jobs has placed particular emphasis on the iPhone's Google Maps features."

Munster maintains an "Outperform" rating on shares of Apple with a $160 price target.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

I

"While this seems far-fetched, the device could simply be an iPhone equipped with GPS, which is a feature we expect in 2009,"

Or just an Apple branded dock which would give the iPhone GPS functionality..

Battery-life is the reason there is no GPS on iPhone.. iPhone would constantly have to be on analyzing your location, a major drain on the battery. That's also why most GPS systems in cars are plugged into a charger.. Apple could easily make such a dock and the iPhone could become a GPS device as well. I see this happening rather quickly
  • Reply 2 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    No GPS for a computer/phone of this caliber is ridiculous.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Battery-life is the reason there is no GPS on iPhone.. iPhone would constantly have to be on analyzing your location, a major drain on the battery.

I'm not so sure. There a dozens of handheld GPS devices that seem to have very good battery life. Receiving radio signals does not consume very much energy, it is the transmitting that requires more power.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No GPS for a computer/phone of this caliber is ridiculous.

What level of GPS would you want?

If you want full GPS with maps the iPhone would cost much more than it does now. Take a Garmin Nuvi 650, they go for $450+ on the street. Add bluetooth, Nuvi 660, and they're over $650.

If you want the same GPS that's in a cell phone that's a lot less expensive but it's not much good for anything other than e911 service. You really need the maps.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a iPhone that had the same navagation ability the Nuvi 660 or 680 has. That would rock.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

If you want the same GPS that's in a cell phone that's a lot less expensive but it's not much good for anything other than e911 service. You really need the maps

What would be cool is if iPhone had a GPS chip that could at least tell Google maps where you were. Coincidentally I've already hacked together just such a program using Google maps and Iridium.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What would be cool is if iPhone had a GPS chip that could at least tell Google maps where you were. Coincidentally I've already hacked together just such a program using Google maps and Iridium.

Why not just use cell tower triangulation for accurate urban GPS? Seems like a cheap, uber-simple way to put a pin on a google map for cites with many towers, yeah?
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:

I'm not so sure. There a dozens of handheld GPS devices that seem to have very good battery life.

Yeah, and how thick are those handhelds and what else do they do again?

GPS would be a serious drain on iPhone in it's current form factor.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    maxmannmaxmann Posts: 85member
    interesting new on maps and iridium. So, when i am on my catamaran sailing around the world, i could have GPS on the iridium? that would be a big benefit for an emergency, where one could tell rescue exactly where we are. is this software available to the public?

Quote:

• Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:

The Nokia N95 has built-in GPS - and downloads Maps over Wap or WiFi

- but it caches downloaded maps on the phone

- the main problem is the length of time it takes to get a GPS location - much longer than TomToms, for example
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

It would likely need an off switch?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shagghie View Post

Why not just use cell tower triangulation for accurate urban GPS? Seems like a cheap, uber-simple way to put a pin on a google map for cites with many towers, yeah?

Not as accurate but would work. There are legal/privacy issues with obtaining the data from the cell providers. Even real GPS has an error factor and uses ground based correction when available.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxmann View Post

interesting new on maps and iridium. So, when i am on my catamaran sailing around the world, i could have GPS on the iridium? that would be a big benefit for an emergency, where one could tell rescue exactly where we are. is this software available to the public?

There are many commercial products that do this for fleet tracking.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:

Battery-life is the reason there is no GPS on iPhone.. iPhone would constantly have to be on analyzing your location, a major drain on the battery. That's also why most GPS systems in cars are plugged into a charger.. Apple could easily make such a dock and the iPhone could become a GPS device as well. I see this happening rather quickly

GPS is very low power. I have a Garmin eTrex that can run for 20+ hours with a Monochrome LCD screen on 2 rechargeable AA batteries. I have other GPS devices without screens that exceed this...
  • Reply 12 of 26
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    if you're sailing around the world i would hope you're not relying on a phone as your source of navigation.

if you need to tell google maps where you are on dry land, check out a good old fashioned street sign or two.

i would love to have gps on my iPhone, but i'm fairly certain i'll have to wait until the second iPhone i buy.

btw, WHO is buying an iPod right now? must be the shuffles and nanos that are selling.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

if you need to tell google maps where you are on dry land, check out a good old fashioned street sign or two.

You sort of need constant coordinates to do anything useful like a turn by turn (which BTW is in violation of the terms of use for Google Maps API.) I certainly couldn't type in street intersections by hand every couple seconds.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    I reckon it'll be January before it comes to Europe not October. I've always had that hunch when the iPhone was announced.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

I have a Garmin eTrex that can run for 20+ hours with a Monochrome LCD screen on 2 rechargeable AA batteries. I have other GPS devices without screens that exceed this...

My point exactly, iPhone is not monochrome. It is s full 3.5" color touch screen. And iPhone's battery space is a lot thinner and smaller than two AA batteries could fit in.. Plus it's running OSX and a slew of other multimedia functions.. Can't even compare iPhone to those handhelds.. You need to consider the size of the screen, the additional functionality of the device and the thickness of the battery used.

To keep that size display backlit and constantly searching for location is a serious drain issue.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    ajhillajhill Posts: 81member
    Hey, they had to leave something for rev 2.0 iPhone. Come to think of it a 720p HD video camera and 16GB of memory might be nice too.

As with the intro of any hot new phone, and let's face it, the iPhone is a phone, if not a Superphone. It will start out high and then come down with incentives once the initial hype dies down.

Apple ][ Forever
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

To keep that size display backlit and constantly searching for location is a serious drain issue.

Size: 4.2"H x 2.2"W x 1.2"D. Weight 5.6oz including two AA alkaline batteries, the Venture Cx will help you travel light while providing up to 32 hours of use.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:

Size: 4.2"H x 2.2"W x 1.2"D. Weight 5.6oz including two AA alkaline batteries, the Venture Cx will help you travel light while providing up to 32 hours of use.

Are missing my point entirely? Look at the size of that device compared to iPhone... It's about 3x as thick. There is no way you could get two AA batteries in iPhone. The iPhone battery is a fraction of thickness of AA batteries.

I mean doubling or tripling the thickness of iPhone would certainly make room for a heftier battery, but then you lose the design appeal that Apple is famous for.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

I mean doubling or tripling the thickness of iPhone would certainly make room for a heftier battery, but then you lose the design appeal that Apple is famous for.

GPS power requirements are miniscule. Its not that I don't appreciate any additional technical insight into the iPhone's capabilities, but I just don't agree that the the inclusion of GPS is impossible. Now if we were discussing the cost of components such as the chip, antenna, etc, then that certainly would be a consideration worth mentioning. They aren't including a Swiss Army knife either.

You might enjoy this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xXNoB3t8vM
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shagghie View Post

Dangit! Why do people keep asking this?? You obviously live in a big city or in an area with lots of cell towers. The pointof GPS is that it works ANYWHERE on the planet - even over the oceans. Suppose I go hiking in the country and want to know where I am? I'd be lucky to get ONE cell tower in many areas - let alone the 3+ to get ANY triangulation.

Think about the 95% of the country's area where YOU don't live.