New Doom 3 Promo here:

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.gamespydaily.com/news/fullstory.asp?id=3463"; target="_blank">http://www.gamespydaily.com/news/fullstory.asp?id=3463</a>;

PC version? Yes. (Duh)

X-Box version? Maybe. (ID is still considering)

Mac version???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by dstranathan:

<strong>Mac version???</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, seeing as the Doom III engine was first demoed on Macs at a MW some time ago, I should hope so.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    wolfeye155wolfeye155 Posts: 425member
    Man I'm number 1246 in line. Looks like my computer won't be resting tonight.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    hornethornet Posts: 76member
    A mac was shown in the movie

ASD 17" running doom3.

Cool. look closely, pans out from one really quick at about 2 minutes 9 seconds.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I have no doubt that Doom III is coming for the Mac. Carmack is a fan of OSX and he has given Apple great input on what OSX needs to be better at gaming. Count me as a Doom III purchaser if my GPU can handle it.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    wolfeye155wolfeye155 Posts: 425member
    Very cool! I definitely hopes this comes out for Mac and if not I'll buy it for Xbox. Hell I'll end up buying both versions anyway. Looks very very promising.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>

Well, seeing as the Doom III engine was first demoed on Macs at a MW some time ago, I should hope so.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah...kinda like Halo was demoed on Macs at a MW some time ago.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by kim kap sol:

<strong>Yeah...kinda like Halo was demoed on Macs at a MW some time ago.</strong><hr></blockquote>Actually, I had already thought about putting that in my original post but was afraid I'd spark a flame war.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    convertconvert Posts: 27member
    There is an interesting Q&A with Carmack here:

<a href="http://www.gamespy.com/e32002/pc/carmack/"; target="_blank">http://www.gamespy.com/e32002/pc/carmack/</a>;

Nothing about mac, but some interesting words about graphics cards and D3.

[ 05-24-2002: Message edited by: Convert ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 13
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by kim kap sol:

<strong>Yeah...kinda like Halo was demoed on Macs at a MW some time ago.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If id is bought by Microsoft, I'll worry about that. MS was clearly assuming that XBox would take off, and Halo would appear for the Mac and for Windows after it had helped launch the platform. Unfortunately, it's still the only must-have game for the XBox, so MS has no incentive to release it for anything else.

Carmack doesn't seem too bowled over by the XBox as a platform (probably because of porting costs vs. weak XBox sales, not technological problems), so I doubt anything like this will happen to DOOM 3. If anything, it'll probably be another nail in the XBox's coffin.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    aslanaslan Posts: 97member
    BTW does anyone know generally what the story IS with Halo for OS X?

I love Marathon, but I need some new Bungie goodies to appease the need to bathe in the gore of my closest friends and relatives.

"They're Everywhere!" -BOB
  • Reply 11 of 13
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I have a sad feeling that if it appears for OS X at all, it'll be after the game has aged quite a bit.

It's really too bad that it was shackled to a struggling platform. I've seen it in action on an HDTV, and it really is beautifully done.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    there was some brief news at macgamer.com today that there are still plans for the PC/Mac version of halo, but still no details. At least we know it hasnt ben scrapped.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    nostradamusnostradamus Posts: 397member
    Apparently, the GeForce 2MX and Radeon level graphics cards are not sufficient.

In Carmack's own words, these systems will have to run at resolutions 320x240 or less to obtain acceptable performance.

All iMacs, eMacs, PowerBooks, iBook and all PowerMac systems before 2002(except those with GeForce 3's BTO) will be unacceptable.

[ 05-24-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>