Reaching remote office via wireless network only

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The Situation

Remote office across road in block wall room --------------Linksys Repeater --------- Main office with metal roof

Total distance between remote office and main office ~ 340 feet

Office Equipment

I have a Linksys WRT54G router that serves my office well. I currently have a corner directional Hawking antenna (pointing across the road) and 9dbi omni-directional serving the office in the attic. Everything is fine in office.

Repeater across road

I have a linksys repeater across the road about halfway between the main office and remote office on the plant floor. Flaky connections occur a lot and I believe the repeater itself is a source of interference. I want rid of it.

Remote office

Mac Mini with linksys thumb drive type wireless G device hanging out of the block wall with a 10’ usb 2.0 extension cable so we can get a signal out of the room. We currently have a strong signal 54 Mbs.

---------------

I need ethernet ports in the remote office to connect ip camera’s for after hours surveillance (we have had a few problems after we leave at night).

Can I put a linksys router (WRT54G for example) over in that office, hook up a directional antenna and Hawking signal booster, and bridge the two office’s together over the wireless network so I can get rid of the repeater and get a more reliable connection while having IP wired and wireless cameras going through the remote office router? I have never been able to use a router to do this without having it connected to the wired network. I don’t think they have a client bridge mode of sorts, at least not Linksys.

Can anyone recommend a setup for the remote office and what I need to do in order to get a signal less than 400’ be reliable? I have shot signals longer than this but I have never needed ethernet and wireless clients on the remote end thus my problem. I need to hook up approximately 6 cameras on ethernet cables and 3 via wireless G and then the computer have access to the network in the main office.

In essence, I have two separate networks but I need them to communicate to each other wirelessly and reliable.

We have tried N cards and routers but with no luck.

We also want to add a VoiP phone on this computer so we can have a phone line to it. It is isolated to say the least.

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

The Situation

Remote office across road in block wall room --------------Linksys Repeater --------- Main office with metal roof

Total distance between remote office and main office ~ 340 feet

Office Equipment

I have a Linksys WRT54G router that serves my office well. I currently have a corner directional Hawking antenna (pointing across the road) and 9dbi omni-directional serving the office in the attic. Everything is fine in office.

Repeater across road

I have a linksys repeater across the road about halfway between the main office and remote office on the plant floor. Flaky connections occur a lot and I believe the repeater itself is a source of interference. I want rid of it.

Remote office

Mac Mini with linksys thumb drive type wireless G device hanging out of the block wall with a 10? usb 2.0 extension cable so we can get a signal out of the room. We currently have a strong signal 54 Mbs.

---------------

I need ethernet ports in the remote office to connect ip camera?s for after hours surveillance (we have had a few problems after we leave at night).

Can I put a linksys router (WRT54G for example) over in that office, hook up a directional antenna and Hawking signal booster, and bridge the two office?s together over the wireless network so I can get rid of the repeater and get a more reliable connection while having IP wired and wireless cameras going through the remote office router? I have never been able to use a router to do this without having it connected to the wired network. I don?t think they have a client bridge mode of sorts, at least not Linksys.

Can anyone recommend a setup for the remote office and what I need to do in order to get a signal less than 400? be reliable? I have shot signals longer than this but I have never needed ethernet and wireless clients on the remote end thus my problem. I need to hook up approximately 6 cameras on ethernet cables and 3 via wireless G and then the computer have access to the network in the main office.

In essence, I have two separate networks but I need them to communicate to each other wirelessly and reliable.

We have tried N cards and routers but with no luck.

We also want to add a VoiP phone on this computer so we can have a phone line to it. It is isolated to say the least.

TIA

It is possible to make that hodge-podge (is that a real word??) work, however it looks to be a mess and semi-reliable.

I have set up multiple wireless bridges, Point to Point, and Omni diretional as we have hunderds of remote sites that are not fiber/T1 or cable accessible. However, its not the preferred route I would take.

However, if you are wanting to hook up seperate networks and use VOIP I suggest getting a cable modem, buying 2 Cisco ASA 5505 and creating a secure VPN btw the two. It will be easier to route seperate network traffic that way. Also, the ASA box has two POE ports if your phones are such.

The boxes are brand new but I have deployed them w/ success. Currenly in remote office running multiple Cisco 7941 IP phones, network printers, 4 desktops blah blah.

I would go that route before wireless. If you just HAVE to go wireless I can help you..... I guess
  • Reply 2 of 5
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailmaster308 View Post

It is possible to make that hodge-podge (is that a real word??) work, however it looks to be a mess and semi-reliable.

I have set up multiple wireless bridges, Point to Point, and Omni diretional as we have hunderds of remote sites that are not fiber/T1 or cable accessible. However, its not the preferred route I would take.

However, if you are wanting to hook up seperate networks and use VOIP I suggest getting a cable modem, buying 2 Cisco ASA 5505 and creating a secure VPN btw the two. It will be easier to route seperate network traffic that way. Also, the ASA box has two POE ports if your phones are such.

The boxes are brand new but I have deployed them w/ success. Currenly in remote office running multiple Cisco 7941 IP phones, network printers, 4 desktops blah blah.

I would go that route before wireless. If you just HAVE to go wireless I can help you..... I guess

Wow. I understood the last paragraph. So let's go wireless across the street for now.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Wow. I understood the last paragraph. So let's go wireless across the street for now.

So let me understand...you want to get rid of the repeater and replace it with another wireless router?

If thats what you want to do, then you are asking to change your wireless router into another repeater. Thats dependent on the software on your router.

REMEMBER Wireless is simplex not duplex......very important. So anytime you hang a repeater off a wireless AP/Router you cut your bandwith in half right off the bat...and each time you do hang a reapeater your cutting your bandwith for whoever is using said repeater.

Again to do what you want I would not recommend. Bad idea for VOIP and images.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailmaster308 View Post

So let me understand...you want to get rid of the repeater and replace it with another wireless router?

If thats what you want to do, then you are asking to change your wireless router into another repeater. Thats dependent on the software on your router.

REMEMBER Wireless is simplex not duplex......very important. So anytime you hang a repeater off a wireless AP/Router you cut your bandwith in half right off the bat...and each time you do hang a reapeater your cutting your bandwith for whoever is using said repeater.

Again to do what you want I would not recommend. Bad idea for VOIP and images.

I thought about what you said and guess what. I strung a Cat5e cable across the road (thanks to the cable TV service drop ) and we zip tied the line all the way into his office. It worked. I just hope a big truck doesn't come by one day with something sticking up and take the line because it will pull the router out of my ceiling. With the reasons you gave, it just made sense to try it and 328 feet may be the theoretical limit, but we made it.

How long do you give the cable before I have to replace it? Weather can be a nasty thing on cable and I imagine they are indoor quality only.

Now, any VOIP services you could recommend? I just need one phone so some of my guys can call home to their family without racking up big charges so I am going to go with a non-business phone. Vonage has some nice looking stuff but I have never used any VOIP. I have a router in his office that has 4 10/100 ports and wireless enabled but the DHCP is disabled and in Gateway mode instead of Router. I have a switch I am about to hook into it for more ip camera's I am putting up. This setup is working great right now and am glad I was able to stretch the wire.

Thanks for the advice.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Now, any VOIP services you could recommend? I just need one phone so some of my guys can call home to their family without racking up big charges so I am going to go with a non-business phone. Vonage has some nice looking stuff but I have never used any VOIP. I have a router in his office that has 4 10/100 ports and wireless enabled but the DHCP is disabled and in Gateway mode instead of Router. I have a switch I am about to hook into it for more ip camera's I am putting up. This setup is working great right now and am glad I was able to stretch the wire.

Thanks for the advice.

Well thats a way to do it. Thats not the route I would go but hey it worked right?

Your correct about the cable. Not sure how long it will last. Where I work we have to run everything up to gov'nmt standards so we are not allowed to, um, do that kinda stuff.

As far as small business VOIP goes, I can't be of very much help. I install Cisco VOIP on Call Manager 5. By the sounds of your setup, you are not gonna want to spend the $20k plus just to get it up and running.

Maybe someone else can chirp in on that.

P.S. When your cable goes caput and your ready to setup a site-2-site VPN let me know.