Limitations of student license for FCP

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Which license does the student version of Final Cut Pro have? Is it the same as buying it retail, or are there limitations on using it commercially and such?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Legally, you can not use it for commercial production. In other words, you can't make money off of your work with FCP.

Of course, I suppose there really isn't a way for Apple to *know* you are breaking the law, but you are still cheating out my favorite fruit company.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    [quote]Legally, you can not use it for commercial production.<hr></blockquote>

Do you have a copy of the student license? I'd like to read it.

Unfortunately, I'm trying not to rip anyone off. However, I'm looking into purchasing editing tools and plan to make a bit of money on the side. I can't justify spending the full price on FCP though, since I'm really not going to be making that much money with it. Instead, I'll be forced to use some other solution, even though I hate Adobe Premiere. I may try Vegas Video too.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Some of those licenses vary. I know Adobe has specific serial numbers for their software that will display "Education Version" in the splash screen. Well, it used to, don't know if it still does.

Although the student cost on WebObjects is $99, and when I opened it up and installed it, there was nothing that told me I couldn't make money off of it. This could be the case with FCP.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    zarathustrazarathustra Posts: 264member
    I have just purchased FCP 3 direct from Apple on their educational discount scheme. The product they supplied was the regular retail version. No special licence, no markers to indicate that it was different.

I know that I've saved an awful lot of money buying it this way...but would it be reasonable for Apple to say that I had to stop using it once I'd completed my studies? What they get is another person locked in, by familiarity with the product, to an app thats bound to be updated on a regular basis and to their own hardware to run it. Its a gamble for them and a bonus for students.Buy it..but beware those manuals!
  • Reply 5 of 17
    nx7oenx7oe Posts: 198member
    Do buy the Education Version. All it has is Well a little sign that reminds you that it is an education (it is not different from the regula retail version.) What it does have is Copy Protection. I couldn't even make a Back up Copy. in other words the CD is WORSE than office v.X. YOU CAN'T EVEN MAKE A BACKUP COPY!!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    First of all. ALL FCP 3.0 CD (commercial, upgrade, academic, NFR) are copy protected

Second. About Adobe software. Only Photoshop 5.5, Illustrator 8, Premeire 5.1 had the "Academic Use" splash screen on the academic version.

Now PS 7 and Illustrator 10 don't.

A lot of people buy software when they are students and keep using them after they graduated. I personally don't think this is bad.

Some high end apps like combustion, maya, XSI, 3DS do have very strict limitation on their academic licence. Mostly will expire after certain period of time. I am glad I don't really rely on them much

[ 05-24-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 17
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote] YOU CAN'T EVEN MAKE A BACKUP COPY!!!!! [/QB]<hr></blockquote>

add the word "easily" to the end of that sentence, and you're right on.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>

add the word "easily" to the end of that sentence, and you're right on.</strong><hr></blockquote>

FCP 3.02 updater will NOT work with the hacked CD. But if you don't really need to chapter export to DVD SP you will not need to bother it much.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    How much is the educational version of FCP 3.?

... and would I get to buy one as a professor who teaches that program to students who will in turn go out and buy it????
  • Reply 10 of 17
    In the UK, FCP3 was £257 includung taxes and delivery. I guess you'll get a better deal in the States (we get screwed when be buy anything here).
  • Reply 11 of 17
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    I believe all Adobe software forbids commercial use with educational discounts, and most likely Apple as well.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    FCP 3.0 is $299 in the US Education Apple Store.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    So there doesn't seem to be a concensus. Could anyone who has the student version post the license if it's easy to cut and paste? I'd love to just buy it, but I'm determined to not make a $300 mistake.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAgent:

<strong>I believe all Adobe software forbids commercial use with educational discounts, and most likely Apple as well.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's true at some point.

I bought all my Adobe and Apple software when I was a student. But I keep upgrading them after I graduated. All new version of this apps are using different serial numbers anyway. In other word. After the upgrade cycle your software you own are commercial versions
  • Reply 15 of 17
    If you upgrade, or get an updater for the educational version, make sure that you get the educational (not the regular) upgrade or update...or there will be a conflict in the license number and it might cause problems in the install.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by RubberDucky:

<strong>So there doesn't seem to be a concensus. Could anyone who has the student version post the license if it's easy to cut and paste? I'd love to just buy it, but I'm determined to not make a $300 mistake.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Like I said Apple are supplying the regular retail version under the educational licence scheme. I bought it about 3 weeks ago and the updater I needed to download was the retail one. I'd post the licence but there are no additional conditions shown.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Oh good then. I'll take your word for it on the license thing, and there's nothing I have to agree to on Apple's site to buy it that would suggest differently. Thanks for the help.