New iMac, iPhone hints turn up in Apple software update

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
Minutes after Apple released an update to its Tiger operating system on Wednesday, curious users began sifting through the software's installer packages, turning up a new Yahoo! framework and possible hints at forthcoming iMac revisions.

YahooSync

In an e-mail, one AppleInsider reader pointed out that Mac OS X 10.4.10 Update installs a new framework called "YahooSync," which can be found in the "PrivateFrameworks" system directory.

Apple made no mention of the addition in release notes accompany the Tiger update, leading to speculation that the code is being added to support Yahoo!'s "push" IMAP email feature, which is expected to ship as part of iPhone later this month, or the handset's ability to sync with Yahoo! address books.

New iMac display vendors

Meanwhile, AppleInsider forum member "bogg" discovered that the Mac OS X 10.4.10 Update installs several new "display" vendor resources, four of which are appear to be associated with Apple's iMac line.

The forum member speculates the additions could indicate that Apple's upcoming line of summer iMacs will include updated LCD panels or more simply panels from a different vendor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Let's give credit to both AppleInsider people, not just "bogg", shall we? Thank you.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Just a thought, I guess this info backs up the AppleInsider report that we will see a New iMac before year end, now, before Leopard in October.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charlie_NW View Post

Just a thought, I guess this info backs up the AppleInsider report that we will see a New iMac before year end, now, before Leopard in October.

No. All it does it confirm that, perhaps, Apple is possibly working on iMac updates and someone in the development process shoved the display information into the current OS, as they're thinking ahead. But it isn't proof that they will appear before Leopard, as they may get delayed by other potential issues.

Keep in mind, I believe this is the same type of information gleaned from OS X that was proof of the imminent delivery of the PowerBook G5!
  • Reply 4 of 37
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Speaking up the OS update, ejecting a mounting is a bitch.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Let's give credit to both AppleInsider people, not just "bogg", shall we? Thank you.

Was it you?

Maybe they didn't know how to credit him/her since it was from an email - you wouldn't want to put their email address in the article.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    cirbycirby Posts: 2member
    It seems a little odd that Apple doesn't have a "new" desktop in place for the iPhone launch. When you have the most talked-about product in recent history coming, it would make sense to have a redesigned new iMac handy to upsell to "go with" the phone. They updated the MacBooks, but not everyone is in the market for a laptop. With the video features of the iPhone, it would also make sense to have a video-pumped and style-refreshed new Mac to match it with (in a marketing sense).

On the other hand, with everyone so consumed by iPhone fever, maybe the new Macs could be out on Tuesday (to give the stores time to get them prepped and ready for the iPhone launch). Since everyone seems to be looking one direction, it should be easy enough for Apple to slip in a new iMac under the radar.

At worst, it seems I'll only have to wait a couple of weeks after getting the phone, but still...
  • Reply 7 of 37
    brianusbrianus Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Ugh, yes! Not that it's terribly relevant to this thread. But wtf? This is one of the worst designed and most confounding parts of OS 10. Since they've apparently decided to re-do the networking UI to address complaints of its lack of simplicity, I wonder if they'll do the same for un-mounting.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You mean after the update? I'm not having a problem....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianus View Post

Ugh, yes! Not that it's terribly relevant to this thread. But wtf? This is one of the worst designed and most confounding parts of OS 10. Since they've apparently decided to re-do the networking UI to address complaints of its lack of simplicity, I wonder if they'll do the same for un-mounting.

What are you talking about? You mean, in general, unmounting is counfounding? You just drag it to the trash. Or hit cmd-E. Or hit the eject button in finder view. wtf is badly designed about that?
  • Reply 9 of 37
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Yo, bogg is gonna be famous. And mr. spam just got left behind
  • Reply 10 of 37
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Yes, lest we send some anonymous nerd to bed in tears for not getting their proper recognition.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    nicnacnicnac Posts: 59member
    meelash, while I agree that the 'war' we are in is ridiculous, I can't help but be amazed at the second part of your siggie. Are you saying Somalia was peaceful and fuzzy all over before US involvement despite mass starvation and warring gangs waging battles all over major cities? And that Afghanistan was a model for safety and crime deterrant despite being the worlds biggest opium farmland?

Revisionist history sure is short-term nowdays.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

What are you talking about? You mean, in general, unmounting is counfounding? You just drag it to the trash. Or hit cmd-E. Or hit the eject button in finder view. wtf is badly designed about that?

What's badly designed is that it doesn't work, much of the time. Sometimes it will just sit there and fail to unmount. Other times you'll get the dreaded "this volume is in use" message, which often means the Finder or some other aspect of the operating system is still using it somehow, thus you have no way either of discovering what the problem is or rectifying it (I've seen cases where even lsof is of no help). Of course, even when it is something fixable (such as having a file open in some gui application), it's not necessarily obvious to the user, and the OS provides no additional info to help track down the problem. This is extremely, extremely irritating, and one of the things that Windows frankly does better. Also, there is no known method of software "force eject" for when nothing else will work Only restarting the computer will do in that instance.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post

meelash, while I agree that the 'war' we are in is ridiculous, I can't help but be amazed at the second part of your siggie. Are you saying Somalia was peaceful and fuzzy all over before US involvement despite mass starvation and warring gangs waging battles all over major cities? And that Afghanistan was a model for safety and crime deterrant despite being the worlds biggest opium farmland?

Revisionist history sure is short-term nowdays.

And while I agree with your point, this is just a pet peeve of mine: "revisionist" is not an epithet! It means any history that revises the conclusions of previous historians based on new evidence or new methods of analysis (and yes, sometimes current prevailing ideas, too). It's not in and of itself a bad thing, and it's not the same thing as willful distortion of known historical facts, much less ignorance of them.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    I got my propaganda i got revisionism.

I got my violence in high def ultra-realism. [on a new iMac1080P]

All a part of this great nation.

I got my fist I got my plan I got survivalism.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    mowenbrownmowenbrown Posts: 153member
    I guess it comes down to point of view...

Quote:

Are you saying Somalia was peaceful and fuzzy all over before US involvement

Provided your last name was Aideed and not Barre that would be an accurate statement, unless we are talking pre-1991. From 1969 to 1991 the opposite would be true.

Quote:

Afghanistan was a model for safety and crime deterrant

I think the Taliban had crime beat. They just had an extremely perverted definition of "crime". Maybe Meelash doesn't think girls should go to school after the age of 8, or women should be allowed to take a taxi without a make chaperone. Maybe he has an issue with music, the shaving of beards, the keeping of pigeons, the flying kites, displaying pictures or portraits, western hairstyles, or music and dancing at weddings.

Not that any of that is an excuse for a large chunk of US foreign policy under discussion. It just Meelash may have a differing view on world events, and might not be the life of the party.

Back on track, though, Yahoo!??? I thought Google was going to be the wave of the future? Why sync with Yahoo?
  • Reply 16 of 37
    murphywebmurphyweb Posts: 295member
    Quote:

And that Afghanistan was a model for safety and crime deterrant despite being the worlds biggest opium farmland?

Well i thought that since the US and the Major Western 'civilizations' are easily the worlds biggest consumer of opium based products then the demand certainly encourages the supply and where there is a market some enterprising Afghani will no doubt exploit it.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    In fact under the Taliban opium cultivation was nearly eliminated. Under US installed democrocy we decided it was cheeper to let them generate their own source of wealth rather than put them all on aid so opium cultivation is at record levels. In Somalia once we left order was enforced. Not peacefully but it is order.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

You mean after the update? I'm not having a problem..

Yeah, I'm having a few issues. I can't seem to eject any disk images. I'm having wicked trouble with the Finder, and iTunes and Mail are majorly slow in opening up. Just to clarify I wasn't having these issues in 10.4.9

I'm also having trouble downloading any file, the problem is with Safari's download manager, it hangs for some time before downloads begin. Those of you who would like to join me back on 10.4.9 click here (intel version).
  • Reply 19 of 37
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

No. All it does it confirm that, perhaps, Apple is possibly working on iMac updates ...

Keep in mind, I believe this is the same type of information gleaned from OS X that was proof of the imminent delivery of the PowerBook G5!

Always a downer, thank you.

Quote:

This is extremely, extremely irritating, and one of the things that Windows frankly does better. Also, there is no known method of software "force eject" for when nothing else will work Only restarting the computer will do in that instance.

While I haven't had much trouble mounting or unmounting HDs at home (on a Mac), I have had all sorts of trouble with trying to unmount thumb drives at work (on a Dell w/ XP). I have exactly the same problem you describe--the drive is announced as unable to eject or whatever. Even closing every single window on the machine and it is still in use. 'Course, its just a thumb drive--I can just pull it out, but I know your pain.

I haven't upgraded to .10 yet, guess I will wait if it is causing problems...
  • Reply 20 of 37
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    Quote:

What's badly designed is that it doesn't work, much of the time. Sometimes it will just sit there and fail to unmount. Other times you'll get the dreaded "this volume is in use" message, which often means the Finder or some other aspect of the operating system is still using it somehow, thus you have no way either of discovering what the problem is or rectifying it (I've seen cases where even lsof is of no help). Of course, even when it is something fixable (such as having a file open in some gui application), it's not necessarily obvious to the user, and the OS provides no additional info to help track down the problem. This is extremely, extremely irritating, and one of the things that Windows frankly does better. Also, there is no known method of software "force eject" for when nothing else will work Only restarting the computer will do in that instance.

WOW , my case is totally opposite. I admit i havent owned mac for long , just PowerMac G5 , PowerMac G5 Quad and now Mac Pro 8 core , but in neither of those systems have i ever experienced stubborn Volume. ( about 3 years ).

Now Windowx XP is whole another ball game. USB drives NEVER unmount , on first try. NEVER. Sometimes i get lucky and 2nd , 3rd try is a go , but most of the time it's 50 - 50 chance that i'll have to reboot PC to be able to turn off my backup disk.

Oh and Windows is not much better in telling you why drive isnt unmounting. It just give you same msg over and over again , "Drive is in use , etc etc , " so please dont spead the fud.