Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.10 Update

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

along with a recent 'the big cat' torrent and i was down to less than 1mb of space on my drive.

That's what you get. Make sure you've got a DL disc and let us know how it goes. I'll probably get it when I free up enough space. I want to know how the dock slides.

Concerning 10.4.10, I installed it and things do seem a bit snappier. Safari 3 is definitely faster. I haven't noticed any issues so far besides that they haven't fixed the graphics drivers.
  • Reply 42 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Anyone have any issues with it yet??

Get a clue, will you. Someone will always have an issue. Some people have trouble with anything they touch. If you make your decision based on anecdotal, anonymous, irrational posts from users of unknown competence, whose systems are in an unknown state of stability, you should just keep the software at the version your machine shipped with and never touch it.
  • Reply 43 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popguncork View Post

It's a tad nonsensical but it's true, go try. Too many digits for it to understand I guess?

Did it ever cross your mind that a new, compatible version of Onyx might already be available? A version which specifically states it works with 10.4.10? Version 1.8.0? No, I guess that thought never entered your mind.
  • Reply 44 of 68
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yabbanoname View Post

The famous error 51 (Unable to communicate with the VPN subsystem) arises again after 10.4.10 update.

Now the following old workarounds don't work anymore:

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/CiscoVPN.kext

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/CiscoVPN.kext

or

sudo /System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN/CiscoVPN restart

Anyone ?

My Cisco 4.9.01 works (on a MBP C2D ).
  • Reply 45 of 68
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

Yes! Finally we don't have to sit through stupid arguments about how 10.4.9 will be the last before 10.5.0 because of the decimal point!

I've been waiting for this day for 3 years!
  • Reply 46 of 68
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

Yes! Finally we don't have to sit through stupid arguments about how 10.4.9 will be the last before 10.5.0 because of the decimal point!

10.4.99 ?

ah heck 10.5 - x = last version
  • Reply 47 of 68
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bogg View Post

As I also wrote on macrumors:

just found something interesting...

in 10.4.10 a few new Displays has been added under

/System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-610

More specifically 14 of them, where 4 are really interesting:

And these 4 are:

DisplayProductID-9c6a

DisplayProductID-9c6b

DisplayProductID-9c6c

DisplayProductID-9c71

which all are for iMacs, excerpts from the files:

These files/displaydefinitions are NOT present on a 10.4.9 system!

Could mean new iMacs on the way, or could mean apple are just changing panels in the iMacs...

Anyway, some change on the way!

No, its not that! Its definitive proof of the PowerBook G5!
  • Reply 48 of 68
    Strange.

The update for my MacBook (Core 2 Duo) was 72mb, yet for my iMac (Core Duo) it was only 49mb. Both of these had been updated to all the latest software updates only just a few days ago.

Hmmmm........

(strokes chin in befuddlement)
  • Reply 49 of 68
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    What interests me about the new display panels is why there are 4. Does that mean two iMacs with two vendors for each or is the rumor mill completely wrong and instead of reducing the number of iMacs there will actually be 4 different sizes now?

Whatever... I'm still waiting for Apple to release a desktop that isn't a Pro or a notebook in disguise and I'm pretty sure I'll be waiting for the rest of my life. Steve Jobs must like the fact that I've bought 9 Macs in the past 15 years and Apple only made money on 2 of them.
  • Reply 50 of 68
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Hey did anyone notice that javascript pulldown menus that float on top of Flash are now rock solid - no more jittery disappearing behavior problem. My Safari version is 2.0.4 (419.3)

I'm not sure when this got fixed but I just noticed it after the 10.4.10 update.
  • Reply 51 of 68
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Hey did anyone notice that javascript pulldown menus that float on top of Flash are now rock solid - no more jittery disappearing behavior problem. My version is 2.0.4 (419.3)

I'm not sure when this got fixed but I just noticed it after the 10.4.10 update.

It's fixed in Safari 3 on Windows, at least.
  • Reply 52 of 68
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

What interests me about the new display panels is why there are 4. Does that mean two iMacs with two vendors for each or is the rumor mill completely wrong and instead of reducing the number of iMacs there will actually be 4 different sizes now?

Two glossy and two matte ?

Or they're just using displays from different manufacturers as one manufacturer couldn't meet demand. It's not uncommon that you get two different panels in allegedly the same monitor. There was a big stink last year about the same Samsung monitor that came with either a Samsung panel or another cheaper panel from China - same model number on the monitor.
  • Reply 53 of 68
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    my macbook (2.0ghz C2D, 1gb of RAM) seems a lot snappier. im happy
  • Reply 54 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

]I just updated my 1.25 GHz PB G4. Before the update, I had 2x 512MB for 1024MB total RAM. After the update, the 512MB 3rd party memory was only recognized as 256MB.

Damn!

Similar issue.

I updated today to the latest 10.4.10 on my PB G4 (1.25 GHz). Before on 10.4.9 (installed a few months ago) it was OK. After the ugrade I noted that the memory in the lower slot (256 MB) is not seen. The upper slot (1 GB) is still visible. Didn't check right before the update. But since the motherboard is relatively young (start 2006), I (still) assume that the m'board did not die.

Reseating the modules and resetting the PMU did not fix it. I still assume it may be a bug (feature ?).

Reboot from disk with 10.3.9 : still memory lost. Argghh.

Noted on several forums similar issues appleinsider on 10.4.10 and the http://lowermemoryslot.editkid.com/

Frequent reports seen on loss on memory with upgrades. Clear: maybe that's the time that you check it.

But the number of reports appear statistically too frequent, to be meaningless.

Ran image backup, noted that a start from disk with 10.3.9 showed still memory loss.

So the upgrade to 10.4.10 appears to be be the cause for my loss of the lower memory slot. @$!&$$*^!!

Apple owes us an explanation, but I fear that 'silence' is a planned strategy here.

Apple should better go after it. Especially assuming that 10.4.10 is the portal to Leopard.

Cheers, Rolflist
  • Reply 55 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

My Cisco 4.9.01 works (on a MBP C2D ).

Cisco 4.9.01 (0030) too

Same error Not sure what to do

any ideas?
  • Reply 56 of 68
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    I had only one weird issue after installing 10.4.10 last night. My network started acting weird, so I did an ifconfig and noticed that my wired connection to my Belkin router on en0 had a weird internet address like 67.145.45.75 or something like that.

I messed around with it some more tonight and finally issued the figured out that I needed to issue the following command which basically removed the weird address and everything was fine after re-upping the interface...

sudo ifconfig en0 inet remove <--- that did the trick
  • Reply 57 of 68
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Back on 10.4.9 and lovin' it.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    I'm shocked that nobody's mentioned the fixed power key commands. One-touch sleep, restart, and shutdown are back, as well as the cmd+eject power button equivalent.

This update is not showing in my old iMac FP's Software Update. I'm a bit hesitant to install it from standalone, but'll go ahead and have a 10.4.9 combo ready just in case.

EDIT: Aaand a rousing success on the iMac, which brings me to wonder why Apple's excluding it.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PathDæmon View Post

I'm shocked that nobody's mentioned the fixed power key commands. One-touch sleep, restart, and shutdown are back, as well as the cmd+eject power button equivalent.

This update is not showing in my old iMac FP's Software Update. I'm a bit hesitant to install it from standalone, but'll go ahead and have a 10.4.9 combo ready just in case.

EDIT: Aaand a rousing success on the iMac, which brings me to wonder why Apple's excluding it.

Software Update picked it up fine on my iMac G5 1.8 and the power shortcuts have always worked for me.
  • Reply 60 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Software Update picked it up fine on my iMac G5 1.8 and the power shortcuts have always worked for me.

The power shortcuts broke on both of my computers, but it wouldn't be as fun a bug if it were universal.

I'm not surprised that the G5 took it ? this is an iMac FP, the first desk lamp and a G4.