IMPORTANT iPone question!? :-)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a question about the iphone that I can't seem to get an answer to on the apple website.

Basically I wanted to know if after you buy the iphone for $500 or $600 at the apple store lets say....do you have to ON THE SPOT sign an AT & T contract?

I was wondering because currently I use a virgin pay as you go plan since I TRAVEL alot, which works great because I am an artist on a budget, and that kind of flexibility and lack of commitment works perfect for me and my situation.

So I thought, it'd be cool to just nab the iphone by itself first, learn the ropes and use its wifi features when I was on the road. Then LATER buy into a plan when I want to.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

I have a question about the iphone that I can't seem to get an answer to on the apple website.

Basically I wanted to know if after you buy the iphone for $500 or $600 at the apple store lets say....do you have to ON THE SPOT sign an AT & T contract?

I was wondering because currently I use a virgin pay as you go plan since I TRAVEL alot, which works great because I am an artist on a budget, and that kind of flexibility and lack of commitment works perfect for me and my situation.

So I thought, it'd be cool to just nab the iphone by itself first, learn the ropes and use its wifi features when I was on the road. Then LATER buy into a plan when I want to.

Thanks

I'll tell you on the 29th
  • Reply 2 of 5
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Apple's Web site makes it pretty clear that you can't get an iPhone without a 2-year contract.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    cpt kcpt k Posts: 33member
    I can also imagine that you "agree" to terms somehow when sync'ing the phone the first time thru iTunes somehow. I don't believe that you will be going thru lengthy contract processes at APPLE's POP. This will limit how many of these things they can sell at any one time since you would need one rep for each person waiting in line.

Going to be VERY interesting next Friday regardless.... though they should really tell us what the deal is since I dont feel like lining up down 5th Ave at midnight next Friday only to find out that each "sale" is taking 20min each.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ci0002ci0002 Posts: 23member
    I too would like a pre-paid voice plan. I expect to use little voice, and a lot of data, so I would pay for a data only plan with pre-paid voice. I suspect it ain't gonna happen.

Maybe I will just wait for a non-phone iPhone. Or, maybe I will just buy the cheapest plan I can and count on wifi for almost all of my connections.

Ideas?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I live in a state that doesn't even have AT&T, so I'm curious about this too. My guess is that by the morning of June 30th, people will have it all figured out, unlocked, working on Verizon, etc. etc.