How do I REMOVE Office v.X ?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I need to remove my copy of Office v.X to clear up some hard drive space, since I never use it. I downloaded it to check it out; mostly to see what it has to offer, and for a look at it's GUI. (it is nice...but I just never use it!) I vaguely remember trashing a little app in the Value Pack folder of Office...and now I can't seem to TRASH anything else that has to do with Office v.X! (Wasn't that STUPID of me! ;-) A message comes up saying that the "trash is in use" . I 've even restarted my computer several times to no avail. Someone PLEASE HELP!! In fact, now I can't TRASH ANYTHING...it doesn't work, no matter what combination of things I am trying to throw away! How dare MS make you keep something that you don't want! I can't believe how hard it is to get rid of it, and how it has screwed up my Trash!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I´v had some problems with the trash myself in the past. Usualy the problems consist of having files that you dont have access to in your trash (often hidden). Have you removed everything from your trash and tryed emptying it when it´s already empty? If your still getting the problem, open a console-window and type "cd .Trash" Then type "ls -al" and check for files that should not be there. (post the output here and I´ll tell you).

Oter plases to look is "cd /Volumes/OTHER PARTITION OR HD NAME/.Trashes" or "cd /.Trashes". (You have to be root to do a "ls -al" on the last one...)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    firstly this belongs in Genius Bar forum area

secondly, look at "LOGIN" in System Preferences and see if something from office is being started at startup.

Worse comes to worse, bootup in OS 9 and delete from there.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    ZO might be right. Usually Microsoft Database Daemon will launch on boot to allow office to give you notifications of appointments and todo's and whatnot. Try removing them. Also, download <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=12057&db=mac"; target="_blank">Batchmod</a> and try emptying the trash that way.